Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 06:39 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times

Advertisements

Recordpub.com

Gun law change draws fire Proposal would ease self-defense rules in Ohio
Email To A Friend
Printer Friendly
Comments
Mike Hixenbaugh

Moderator cut: copyright

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 04:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I believe that the right to defend yourself without the fear of criminal or civil prosecution is the most fundamental of all our liberties.

You home, car or person is sacred. You have a right and duty to defend yourself. This is in spite of all the nonsense taught in school that says you should tell the teacher or policeman if you are attacked. Telling the authorities is too late the damage is already done and generally useless because authorities do nothing about preventing a reoccurrence.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,628,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkman18 View Post
[Regardless of whether the bill clears committee, it seems gun advocates
and anti-violence groups will never see eye-to-eye on the issue.
I think they do and the anti-violence groups just don't realize it. Gun advocates are almost always anti-violence. Someone starts violence with them and the gun owners are against it and remove the violent person from society. Seems like a win-win.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:11 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,167,662 times
I enjoy my rights to bear arms. I own my own gun so that in an emergency situation I can protect my year old daughter. With the current system, if somebody breaks into YOUR house, and you injure them, YOU are in the wrong.

Sorry. I don't care if I get taken off in cuffs. Somebody does something to even THREATEN bodily harm on my daughter, I will do what it takes to protect her.

And as she gets older, I will take her to a range and she will learn, as I did, how to properly use a firearm and the only uses for such action.

I am a gun advocate. And I'm 100% anti-violence. But that anti-violence is a double edged sword. I won't start conflict with somebody. But if they start one with me, I will take the necessary steps to resolve the conflict.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:21 AM

1,398 posts, read 7,704,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

I am a gun advocate. And I'm 100% anti-violence. But that anti-violence is a double edged sword. I won't start conflict with somebody. But if they start one with me, I will take the necessary steps to resolve the conflict.

That's my position as well.. In my own home I'll "resolve the conflict" now...and deal with the anti gun weenies after the fact...

Old 07-27-2007, 08:34 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,495,594 times
[quote=Kuharai;1153434]I enjoy my rights to bear arms. I own my own gun so that in an emergency situation I can protect my year old daughter. With the current system, if somebody breaks into YOUR house, and you injure them, YOU are in the wrong.

Allot depends on the state you live in.. And if someone is in my house I don't think they will be injured

Old 07-27-2007, 08:40 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
[quote=junkman18;1153593]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post
I enjoy my rights to bear arms. I own my own gun so that in an emergency situation I can protect my year old daughter. With the current system, if somebody breaks into YOUR house, and you injure them, YOU are in the wrong.

Allot depends on the state you live in.. And if someone is in my house I don't think they will be injured
yanno, what bothers me about this entire situation is the mentality of people actually thinking that taking away the guns will prevent crime? I find this very disturbing and hard to believe...???? The criminals will never hand in their guns, only you and I will, and other law abiding citizens...and what this will do is create a very lucrative business for all those who feel the law does not apply to them and crime pays. They will purchase and sell guns at a premium.

My worry about all this is...why would they take away everyone's guns...? And who is "THEY" and what in the world could they be thinking..who pulls the trigger for goodness sake...crime will then escallate, and we will have nothing to protect ourselves with...plus the criminals will no longer fear going into some homes, b/c the guns are gone from law abiding citizens.

Sheesh....this is absolutely insane and scares me to death.

No pun on words intended....

Creme

Old 07-27-2007, 06:57 PM

1,499 posts, read 4,831,640 times
Self defense was finally passed in FL last year. FL had a "duty to retreat" law and that basically meant you had to RUN from a guy witha gun or a knife or whatever BEFORE defending yourself. That meant a ton of people who had a license to carry a gun were running and getting shot on the back by a crack user. That happened daily.

NOIW, things changed and there IS self-defense in Florida, so the good folk can fight the crack heads without fear of being arrested.

Self-Defense is a God-given RIGHT and it is ensured by the US Constitution, which bears the right to life, liberty and property in mind.

I PRAISE any state passing self-defense laws.

Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,983,201 times
I am sitting here shaking my head after reading that article - what is with such bizarre laws... what good could come of such ridiculousness?

I live in Indiana and am thankful I have the right to conceal carry (with a permit) and to walk into a gun store and buy a gun without a big fuss. When I was in NY I couldn't believe that law-abiding citizens had to be gunless. The crooks of course still had their methods of getting guns illegally - and it made things unsafe as any crook with a gun had odds in their favor that any citizen they threatened (and any witnesses) wouldn't be armed. Saying we cannot use the guns when we do have them at our disposal, in situations where we, our loved ones, or property are threatened is as good as not having them.

How does such backwards thinking make sense - that Senator should be embarrassed! What if something like Katrina happened in your home town - complete anarchy & looting... wouldn't you want a gun available to defend your family and property? Of course, anyone with half a mind would. What if our country was attacked by another and the national guard and military couldn't defend your city... wouldn't you want to have a chance of survival? - of course you would. Government officials who strip away or even propose to strip away civil liberties like this need to be removed from office on principle of stupidity. We all should have the right to defend ourselves without threat of the criminal or criminals family or government prosecuting us for doing so.

Old 07-30-2007, 01:16 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbuszu View Post
I am sitting here shaking my head after reading that article - what is with such bizarre laws... what good could come of such ridiculousness?

I live in Indiana and am thankful I have the right to conceal carry (with a permit) and to walk into a gun store and buy a gun without a big fuss. When I was in NY I couldn't believe that law-abiding citizens had to be gunless. The crooks of course still had their methods of getting guns illegally - and it made things unsafe as any crook with a gun had odds in their favor that any citizen they threatened (and any witnesses) wouldn't be armed. Saying we cannot use the guns when we do have them at our disposal, in situations where we, our loved ones, or property are threatened is as good as not having them.

How does such backwards thinking make sense - that Senator should be embarrassed! What if something like Katrina happened in your home town - complete anarchy & looting... wouldn't you want a gun available to defend your family and property? Of course, anyone with half a mind would. What if our country was attacked by another and the national guard and military couldn't defend your city... wouldn't you want to have a chance of survival? - of course you would. Government officials who strip away or even propose to strip away civil liberties like this need to be removed from office on principle of stupidity. We all should have the right to defend ourselves without threat of the criminal or criminals family or government prosecuting us for doing so.
I believe the problem is, people want instant gratification...quick fixes...so they conjure up these stupid ideas in their minds, thinking they are a solution? What they don't realize, is....all of what your all saying...it's insane and not a solution...

I know a woman who lives in New Orleans, they're entire family came together in one home...her mother-in-law, her mother and father, brothers, children...all under one roof, boarded up with guns...it had to be...and is still very violent...most people do not realize, those people down there were left to fend for themselves...and are still in dire straights...but...if it isn't in our backyard, we tend to ignore reality and the bad stuff, but we can watch violence in movies?????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies