Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 08:37 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,226,477 times

Advertisements

I read all of this and say where have you been. The deregulation of the banking system in 1998 will be determined to be the cause of this mess. You all will be seeing as you go along the loss of value in your personal wealth. Just check out the # of states which are unable to fund the retirement programs they set up for OUR employees. Check out your company or personal retirement account. This mess does not know weather you are a lib.,con.,Repub. or Dem. It was the people meaning all of us who fell into this and it will take us all to get out. I believe that the Rebub. fighting ideas from the 1830's and still trying to destroy the new Deal is a waste of time and needs to be stopped now. There are a lot of good ideas from both sides and need to be tried. Ultimitly we the people will have to pay off the debt and will need Corporations to do there part with higher taxes and fewer services. I will vote for the Dems. because the Repub.party is very close to being too far right and invading our personal space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 08:39 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,962,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Nobody want's to abolish SS and Medicare. They want to fix it. The fact is, is nothing is done, it will become abolished on its own. But libs just can't wrap their heads around that fact.

And now believing in God means you don't believe in science? What an ignorant point of view. Global warming is being proved more and more that it's a lie. So do those that believe in GW not believe in any science?
ON SCIENCE: On can believe is religion and also believe in science. Einstein was that example. Rick Perry, Bachmann and others reject basic scientific concepts such as evolution, which genetics is based upon. Mr. Perry, recently made headlines by dismissing evolution as “just a theory,” one that has “got some gaps in it” -- an observation that will come as news to the vast majority of biologists.

They also reject climate science. Perry said, “I think there are a substantial number of scientists who have manipulated data so that they will have dollars rolling into their projects. And I think we are seeing almost weekly, or even daily, scientists are coming forward and questioning the original idea that man-made global warming is what is causing the climate to change.”

That’s a remarkable statement, or maybe the right adjective is “vile.”

The second part of Mr. Perry’s statement is, as it happens, just false: the scientific consensus about man-made global warming -- which includes 97 percent to 98 percent of researchers in the field, according to the National Academy of Sciences — is getting stronger, not weaker, as the evidence for climate change just keeps mounting.

Hunstman was right when he called the GOP the “anti-science party.”

ON SOCIAL SECURITY and MEDICARE:
The GOP never wanted these programs and use every opportunity to get rid of them. You say "fix" but what has been proposed by the GOP is clearly aimed at defunding them. The Ryan Plan called for replacing Medicare with a voucher system that would be inadequate to buy health insurance. One could replace Medicare with a system that gives you two aspirins and still call it Medicare but it won't be Medicare. Bush tried to privatize Social Security and got nowhere. Social Security does not need fixing now. It is good for another 25 yrs without any changes and contributes not a dime to the deficit. In any case, Social Security can be re-enforced by merely extending the income subject to the tax.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I read all of this and say where have you been. The deregulation of the banking system in 1998 will be determined to be the cause of this mess. You all will be seeing as you go along the loss of value in your personal wealth. Just check out the # of states which are unable to fund the retirement programs they set up for OUR employees. Check out your company or personal retirement account. This mess does not know weather you are a lib.,con.,Repub. or Dem. It was the people meaning all of us who fell into this and it will take us all to get out. I believe that the Rebub. fighting ideas from the 1830's and still trying to destroy the new Deal is a waste of time and needs to be stopped now. There are a lot of good ideas from both sides and need to be tried. Ultimitly we the people will have to pay off the debt and will need Corporations to do there part with higher taxes and fewer services. I will vote for the Dems. because the Repub.party is very close to being too far right and invading our personal space.
It's morethan the 1999 deregulation. In a memorable 2003 incident, top bank regulators staged a photo-op in which they used garden shears and a chainsaw to cut up stacks of paper representing regulations.

Talk to conservatives about the financial crisis and you enter an alternative, bizarro universe in which government bureaucrats, not greedy bankers, caused the meltdown. It’s a universe in which government-sponsored lending agencies triggered the crisis, even though private lenders actually made the vast majority of subprime loans. It’s a universe in which regulators coerced bankers into making loans to unqualified borrowers, even though only one of the top 25 subprime lenders was subject to the regulations in question.

Oh, and conservatives simply ignore the catastrophe in commercial real estate: in their universe the only bad loans were those made to poor people and members of minority groups, because bad loans to developers of shopping malls and office towers don’t fit the narrative.

In part, the prevalence of this narrative reflects the principle enunciated by Upton Sinclair: “It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” As Democrats have pointed out, three days before the House vote on banking reform Republican leaders met with more than 100 financial-industry lobbyists to coordinate strategies. But it also reflects the extent to which the modern Republican Party is committed to a bankrupt ideology, one that won’t let it face up to the reality of what happened to the U.S. economy.

Oh, and the was no banking crisis in Canada, precisely because they have strict bank regulations.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:09 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,104,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
The tea party is here to save us all, get on board, it's our only hope...!!

Well, if you want to drown in a vat of blind ignorance, bigotry, rigidity, religiousity, and hatred.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:11 AM

2,226 posts, read 2,104,543 times
Obama will be the only Democrat to run, he will continue to be supported by EVERY Democrat voting, and he will be the President for another 4 years. All the rest of this thread saying otherwise is simply wrong.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Obama will be the only Democrat to run, he will continue to be supported by EVERY Democrat voting, and he will be the President for another 4 years. All the rest of this thread saying otherwise is simply wrong.
I won't say that Obama is invincible. He has been criticized by the liberal base for not challenging the reactionaries more and he's weak in the polls.

However, if any of the loonies, like Perry or Bachmann, become the nominee, I can't see American voters, who are basically middle of the road, voting for those extremists. The GOP has devolved into the Goldwater '64 Party.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:19 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,365,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sfemi View Post
Wow...you know all of this????

Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,343,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure.

I would offer that you, as an "independent", have never voted for a republican before. Of course, most would suggest that makes you a liberal. However, you can call yourself whatever you want.

Again, YOU AND THE OTHER OBAMA VOTERS ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SITUATION IN WHICH WE FIND THE NATION. Without the Obama voters, who put a COMMUNITY ORGANIZER WITH NO EXECUTIVE EXPERIENCE in the White House, the nation would not be in the perilous situation in which we find ourselves today. The unemployed can thank you for your reckless decision in putting this man into the White House.

Let us review what YOU are partly responsible for-

1. 9.1% unemployment

2. Doubling the national debt

3. $1.6 trillion dollar deficits

4. Obamacare- another entitlement when we are broke

5. Preventing US domestic energy exploration

6. Restriction and closing of US refineries

7. Prevention of building and establishing non-union factories, thus shipping jobs overseas

8. Suing a soveriegn US state over enforcing US immigration laws

9. The dollar in the tank

10. Manufacturing bleeding overseas due to trade policy, regulation, and union support

Any rational person would have expected nothing else of a community organizer who had one year experience in the US senate (with the farthest left voting record in the senate). It was pretty obvious what was going to happen and that the man was over his head.

Think before you vote next time. Those voting cards have more options that the "straight ticket" option.
You don't agree with my choice? Too bad for you. There was no way I was going to give my vote to McCain, who demonstrated his executive skills by selecting an airhead religious fanatic for his VP. Any rational person would have expected more pandering to the religious right from McCain & Co, which would not have been in anyone's best interest.

Please, spare me another lecture. Any rational person would recognize that Obama was handed a collapsed house of cards. If you seriously think that we would be in any better shape under a McCain/Palin administration, I have a couple of bridges for sale...

Again, I agree, think before you vote.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:11 AM

4,410 posts, read 6,141,749 times
I didn't vote for Obama, but the way in which the Republicans are behaving is nearly forcing me to vote for him in 2012. The Republicans are acting like children and children shouldn't hold public office. Obama isn't perfect that's for sure, but until an independent candidate steps forward to slay both dragons, I see no other choice.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:23 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,962,148 times
Anyone Still With Obama?

Of course. You know you can't fight stupidity. Some will follow him right into our third world country status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies