Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 03:33 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
I would recommend that any donations sent, be through verifiable channels. I'm sure scam artists will be looking to capitalize on this however they can.
Mercy Corps and Doctors without Borders are great organizations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Yes, but will we get any from Japan? And if we do, will it be a check for 10 yen and note offering their condolences? And then, when asked, will they say, "Yes, we helped America out in their hour of need."
I already responded to you about this very point. The information hasn't changed in 2 hours.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042801113.html
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=9911557
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ricane_Katrina
Japan
The Japanese Foreign Ministry said that it would provide $200,000 to the American Red Cross to assist victims of Hurricane Katrina. Japan also identified needs in affected regions via the U.S. government and provided up to $300,000 in emergency supplies such as tents, blankets and power generators if they receive requests from the U.S. for such assistance. One Japanese individual, Takashi Endo, donated USD 1 million from his personal funds to Katrina relief efforts.[13]

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-13-2011 at 03:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2011, 07:02 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
Anyway, things are more important right now. I need to fill out my brackets.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:08 PM

334 posts, read 188,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I am starting to see links on certain webpages that say something like "Help Japan". Isn't Japan one of the richest nations and a huge exporter? Do they really need private monetary donations?
I say we give Japan 10 times the amount they gave us to help with Katrina.

Although I suspect the postage stamp to mail the check will be worth more than the check. YES, Japan is one of the richest nations. Let'em pay their own bills.

However, I see no reason why we can't have our naval hospitals sitting off shore, helping the injured. In exchange for something else that helps our military of course, like some sort of deal for space to build a naval base.

As far as you and me sending donations? Hell no.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:11 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Quote:
I say we give Japan 10 times the amount they gave us to help with Katrina.
Japan's government and private Japanese individuals donated about $10 million to Katrina relief. One of the donors plunked down a million dollars by himself.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Japan's government and private Japanese individuals donated about $10 million to Katrina relief. One of the donors plunked down a million dollars by himself.
Link please

The truth is they gave us chump change. Basically $500k. There are cars worth more than that. In fact, it was only $200k to the Red Cross, and $300k in supplies "provided we request it". No documentation on whether or not that request has ever been made.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interna...ricane_Katrina

As for what private citizens do, if we're counting that then they're billions behind US philanthropists. I'm not impressed.

So ok, send'em 2 million bucks, ten times their lousy $200k, and keep the Navy hospitals home. Obama blows more than that in less than a second anyway.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
You seem unusually and needlessly bitter about all this. Aside from the fact that the tsunami destruction is an order of magnitude greater than Katrina's damage, most nations assumed that the US - which is regularly hit by hurricanes - would be able to manage the situation by itself. It's not as though we regularly offer Japan money and aid after the cyclones that sweep through there every season.

But this is an event of historic size and significance. If you are angry at the US for trying to help out Japan after a calamity like this, you're part of a (fortunately) small-sized chunk of the population.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:21 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,898,823 times
We don't have the money to send our military and our hospital ships to help them. We are broke!!! Maybe send them an IOU.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I am sure some of our tax dollars will go there, so in some way, I am donating.
I disagree.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
You seem unusually and needlessly bitter about all this. Aside from the fact that the tsunami destruction is an order of magnitude greater than Katrina's damage, most nations assumed that the US - which is regularly hit by hurricanes - would be able to manage the situation by itself. It's not as though we regularly offer Japan money and aid after the cyclones that sweep through there every season.

But this is an event of historic size and significance. If you are angry at the US for trying to help out Japan after a calamity like this, you're part of a (fortunately) small-sized chunk of the population.
You seem to be lying and/or exaggerating, and got caught.

Read that link I posted. Countries I've never even heard of gave more money to the Red Cross than Japan. Bitter? No. I'm just not doling out money to a country that 1, can afford to take care of themselves, and 2, wouldn't give us much more than a token gesture if the shoe was on the other foot.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:29 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
I think sometimes it's not only sad to be human, but downright embarrassing.

Bless Japan. Bless all of the people in Japan who are suffering, who have lost loved ones, and who are grieving on a scale that no human should ever have to grieve. And bless all of the people who are too hardened or stupid to know compassion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies