Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:23 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,859,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
In the case of the Chevy Volt (or even the Nissan Leaf) that would all depend on what price range you are looking at. Even without government rebates and tax allowances there are quite a few comparable cars in the $40,000 plus range that would make the Volt a very attractive alternative to Mercedes, BMW, Saab, Infiniti, Lexus, or even Cadillac and one that you would immediately realize operational cost savings. Hell even a Nissan Maxima is in the same price and class.
The good thing about electric cars is the flexibility of electric generation sources. When there's an energy crunch revolving around oil, there are alternative fuels that can be used in power plants. Nuke, coal, solar, wind... choices. Not monopoly. That was the extra cherry on top for that plan even if the technology isn't perfect. All of civilization shouldn't shut down because some shiek abroad wants to throw a tantrum. We should never be so vulnerable in foreign policy that we can't manage to be self sufficient as a nation. I wish individuals would be empowered that way as well but we've got a ways to go.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Basically you are PREPAYING for all the gas upfront when you buy the car... from a financial standpoint, unless gas gets up to $5-6 a gallon in the next 5-10 years, it wouldn't "make" you any money... I doubt the car would last 10 years before you will have to replace the battery (which is pretty much the cost of another new car)... So in essence, if you buy this car you are really trying to say one thing and one thing only... that you believe in global warming from manmade CO2 and that you choose to drive in manner to decrease it even though the way you live isn't even close to coming to that statement...
One other rebut hasn't been considered-- the price of that battery is diligently being focused on. Japan is pushing for increased range, rapid recharge, and renewable battery materials that won't become the next choke point for dwindling resources. I hope the financial crisis doesn't get in the way of technology advancing.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Diesel is dirty. The phrase "clean diesel" is propaganda from Volkswagen. You've been brainwashed, I'm afraid.

And I've never heard of anyone having to replace the batteries in a hybrid.
Having had a career in oil industry I must say I disagree. You have no clue how nasty the old formula diesel was but if you took a bath in it you'd know. It's cleaned up considerably but of course can't stand up to zero emissions tail pipe.
Cleaning things up is a step in the right direction and I don't consider that green washing. They deserve credit, not sarcasm. Once upon a time gas used to have lead added to it. Lots of people were harmed by that additive. We cleaned it up by redesigning engines to run without lead. It's better than it was and you shouldn't lose sight of how far we've come in a century.

Yes hybrid batteries do need replacing. Nothing is forever.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:51 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,588,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I have wondered how smart buying one of those things at $40,000 would be and always seem to come to the same conclusion that old Bill Balsamico does in this blog. I think he has studied the problem out pretty well and finds that getting the thing to drive from near Pittsburgh to Cleveland next fall to see the football game would be very nonsensical. I wonder what Obama would say about such reasoning.

Bill Balsamico | The rantings of someone that truly loves his country.
Drive what you want from Pittsburgh to Cleveland.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,022,332 times
Just remember that by charging an electric car you are damaging environment in even more ways (electricity and battery production)

Old 03-02-2011, 01:52 AM

24,552 posts, read 23,306,135 times
With incentives( government subsidization) on leases and a limited driving commute in certain climates they can make sense. If you drive a longer distance( over 30 miles one way) and don't have access to recharging stations or live in a cold climate, they don't. Nobody is buying them at their price tag of over $40,000.
With gas prices being manipulated higher they'll look more attractive which may keep car companies like GM from having an expensive Edsel on their hands. Personally I think GM will drop this car as a failure in 2 years.
If I wanted an economical small car I'd buy the new Chevy Cruze for half that $40,000 to $45,000 and find a better use for all that money I'd save.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,548,950 times
I tell no one what to do. However your money, you spent it however you want. If this is something you want go for it. Pricey isn't it. I heard there is pros and cons on these cars. I don't know much about them. But am going to read an article on them now.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 AM

1,348 posts, read 2,875,446 times
If Saudi Arabia's government starts to look as shaky as Libya's. The $40K electric car will be well worth it.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:17 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,022,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
If Saudi Arabia's government starts to look as shaky as Libya's. The $40K electric car will be well worth it.
How will you charge it?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:34 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,262,534 times
If Saudi Arabia goes through a violent revolution and gas goes to $8-$10/gal., electric cars will begin to become very desirable. The biggest drawback is driving range on a charge, it basically sucks. I wouldn't consider an electric car until the technology evolves to where the cars get 500+ miles to a charge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies