Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2012, 08:52 AM

89,257 posts, read 44,992,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You can certainly vote and mail it in. I never sign away my vote to a proxy.
I do read over the material and see which way the board recommends and then do a bit of research myself. Every shareholder gets to vote..you give away your vote then don't go crying later on about the results.
Spot on!

This thread is a crying thread about a CEO's salary. ...Which was negotiated by the Board of Directors. ...Which was elected by the shareholders. Don't like the Board of Directors handing millions of dollars to the CEO? Then, VOTE THEM OUT!

Old 08-03-2012, 09:11 AM

So now that you whiners know the real deal, that it's NOT the CEO's making their salary decisions ...it's the Board of Directors that the shareholders elected... Score another huge win against the liberals' idiotic class warfare campaign. It just so happens that the class warfare they're constantly trying to stir up matters the absolute LEAST to voters.

Issues ranked, here:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...g-wealthy.html

Obama's and liberals' pathetic class warfare campaign = EPIC FAIL

But hey... you go right ahead, Obama, and run on a losing issue.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,778,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Why? If a "bailout" stabilizes a company by adding liquidity in times of financial crisis, and is paid back with interest, doesn't everybody win? .

No. A bailout makes competition unfair. How would you like it if your competitor had government safety net? It would put you at a competitive disadvantage.

And then you introduce Crony Capitalism (which is what we have today). The person in charge (Obama) gets to play God and decide who fails and who gets bailed out. I don't want anybody in government deciding who should win and who should lose. The market should pick winners and losers.

Failing companies should be allowed to fail.

Bailing out Obama's buddies is not an appropriate government function.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. A bailout makes competition unfair. How would you like it if your competitor had government safety net? It would put you at a competitive disadvantage.

And then you introduce Crony Capitalism (which is what we have today). The person in charge (Obama) gets to play God and decide who fails and who gets bailed out. I don't want anybody in government deciding who should win and who should lose. The market should pick winners and losers.

Exactly. I don't understand why liberals think that's okay.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:17 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,484,963 times
Quote:

Great post. You described exactly how it is supposed to be.

Old 08-03-2012, 01:20 PM

13,513 posts, read 17,058,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Misleading thread title. The CEO didn't boost his pay; the Board of Directors did. The Board of Directors is elected by the shareholders.

Who are the major shareholders? Looks like most STI shares are held by pension funds and retirement accounts. ...That would be John and Jane Union Member and Joe and Judy 401k Investor.
Shareholders Major STI SunTrust Banks Inc including Fund and Institutional

Why aren't the major shareholders telling the Board of Directors to knock it off?

Learn how this works so you can stop being taken advantage of. Many of you are doing this to yourselves.

Sqwawk, there's a parrot in here, "pension funds, sqwawk".

Old 08-03-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Sqwawk, there's a parrot in here, "pension funds, sqwawk".
I know you're upset about the actual facts and the way things really are. Sorry you're so disappointed that your illusions have been shattered. :/

Old 08-03-2012, 01:36 PM

78,614 posts, read 60,797,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Because most shareholders don't attend meetings. They give their proxy to whomever is recommended to them. Who makes the proxy recommendations?
That's a huge cop-out. The big pension funds are the ones that drive most of the corporate board changes and are quite vocal.

I'm trying to figure out why a private company paying 10million a year to this guy is bad or "disgusting" while it would land him about 100th or so from the top of the baseball player salary rankings.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:

Bush started the bailouts. Again, this is the reason they will continue. Partisanship always rules the day.

Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,304,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's a huge cop-out. The big pension funds are the ones that drive most of the corporate board changes and are quite vocal.

I'm trying to figure out why a private company paying 10million a year to this guy is bad or "disgusting" while it would land him about 100th or so from the top of the baseball player salary rankings.
At 10 million they are paid far more than any other government employee. As long as they owe taxpayers this kind of money, they are employee's of the taxpayers just like the person working at the DMV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies