Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 12:59 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Teacher's union have already agreed to all the concessions necessary to do their share of balancing the budget. Collective bargaining is the only issue of dissent.

Because collective bargaining is a moot point IF the unions actually did agree to the Governor's concessions.

IF they agreed to allow their wage increases to be dependent upon the COL Index and voter referendums, there's no use for collective bargaining.

They also haven't agree to allow teacher the freedom to opt-out of automatic union dues payments from their paycheck.

You DO believe people should have freedom of choice don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 01:02 PM

89,035 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Teacher's union have already agreed to all the concessions necessary to do their share of balancing the budget.
'Their share' of balancing the budget would also include closing the $10.9 billion gap in their pension system. Has the teachers' union agreed to pay the $10.9 billion?

Link please.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:05 PM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
I suggest to you and everyone else posting in P&OC concerning Walker and the effort to bust the unions in wisconsin, that you go to C-D, the Wisconsin forum and see what the people who live there actually have to say about the matter. Minority?..........I don't think so.
Let me see, the voters threw out a sitting democrat Senate Majority Leader, a democrat sitting Assembly Speaker. Defeated Russ Fiengold, a long time sitting US Senator, by over 100,000 votes. A sitting Govornor declines to run for re-elction because the polls wern't in his favor. And you don't think the majority of the voters are not pleased with the way Walker and the repubs are doing. Talk about not grasping the situation!

Old 02-25-2011, 04:09 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
You mean the state house vote? They are being embarrassed nationwide on TV and all other media sources i've seen being "Shamed" out of the capitol by the pro-americans.
Those people you are talking about who whined at losing a vote in the Assembly of Wisconsin were doing nothing other than admitting that they had been bought and paid for by unions. They do not understand the very basic parts of democracy, which start with the fact that the majority determines the direction we go. They need to wait until the unions buy some more people who are willing to act like they do.

BTW, do you think that they have more than one orange T-shirt with writing on the chest? I sure hope so because that part of the floor may be reeking from human sweat by now.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I was invited once to give a talk to a group that was meeting in one of the banquet rooms at a Hyatt Hotel.

I brought along with me a Power Point presentation to project onto a screen.

However, I never got to show the Power point presentation because I was told that I would have to get a union electrician to run an extension cord to the projector. Since I was scheduled to give my talk immediately after lunch, and the electrician was on his 1 hour lunch break, it was out of the question. I brought my own extension cord, but wasn't allowed to plug it in either.
Typical union activity there.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
Politicians will stick their fingers in the air and see exactly how popular Governor Scott Walker becomes. If there is no backlash (Which there is) on this issue then they will probably try it.

I can't see this going over in New York City. There are simply too many union workers for a politican to take the risk.

For governors in the Midwest and the Northeast this is huge political risk.
Are you saying that Cuomo is already in deeper than he can ever get out of? I sure hope not.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Yes. The Democratic party needs to realize that the Republican machine have taken the gloves off and are going for the jugular. This is the beginning of a fight for the soul of our nation. If they are successful with the public unions the private unions are next. Corporations can eliminate the private unions as there is a large pool of unemployed who will scab the union workers. Next it will be the poor, disadvantaged and the elderly. These people contribute nothing to the corporate bottom line and it will be easy to demonize them as a group as "non-productive leaches". The final cap will be to eliminate all government regulation on corporate enterprise. Government's function will be to enforce moral mandates on individuals. The battle lines are drawn. The Democrats are for "Social responsibility" and the republicans are for "Personal responsibility". Simple as that.
Your last two sentences are the very basis of the fight you say is coming. It tells us too much about which winner will kill this country and which one will save it and I think you know how I see them.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:17 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,983,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Are you saying that Cuomo is already in deeper than he can ever get out of? I sure hope not.

Don't know about Cuomo, but we already saw this in NYC when they had the big snow storm and the union street and sanitation workers pulled a "slow-down" simply because Bloomberg simply mentioned that they may have to cut back due to the lack of funds in the budget.

Old 02-25-2011, 04:28 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
A tiny fact lost on "progressives":

The States that are "right to work" states are taking the jobs away from unionized states. For every job lost in those union states, two are gained in right to work states.

Ever wonder why?
Why don't you dig out some numbers on right to work states and their budget deficits? Here are four that have deficits in the BILLIONS--NC, VA, TX and Georgia. They're all in way worse condition than Wisconsin--that's why the "unions are breaking the economy" argument is falling apart in front of you.

There's One Huge State Budget Crisis That Everyone Is Refusing To Talk About

Old 02-25-2011, 04:31 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
The Assembly Dems on the floor were all dressed in their union thug orange t-shirts proving to America they are OWNED by the unions. This should be in an ad for the Republicans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies