Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,987,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Like I said, its not a matter of "I didn't want it to suffer".

Its just not that simple. You may have a properly set up scope on a deer, got the wind right, the distance, and have aimed accordingly, but in that quarter of a second that it takes to pull the trigger, the wind can change, the animal can flex, you can itch, a leaf can fall in the way of the bullet, whatever.

You can be the best shot in the world, and still only "wing" them. Then they are suffering, running, and you aren't going to kill them. They are going to suffer a long and drawn out death.

When you're the thing dying, how you die isn't really the problem, its the fact that you're dying. Now we can justify it by saying "I'm going to eat it", but like I said, now we're just nitpicking.
Your intention makes the difference between being intentionally cruel and accidentally cruel. Killing for eating is fundamentally different than flipping a rodent off of your porch for the fun of it. And also different than killing for the fun of it.

When you are on the short end of the stick to me it does matter a bit. To be killed with dignity and respect is one thing to be tortured is another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2011, 06:56 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
That is just sick. Getting off on <likely> hurting animals is immature at best and animal cruelty at worst.
Letting animals die for lack of food is better?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Anyone who is bringing the right or the left into this is a pure DUMB ASS!!!

No wonder the United States is in the shape it is....

Old 01-29-2011, 07:06 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,277,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
You first, then we will follow....
Trust me, if I had proof you and all the other worthless persons in this world would follow, I would. But you wouldn't...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
But you wouldn't...
The entire reason for you to go first...

Old 01-29-2011, 07:18 PM

1,890 posts, read 2,654,776 times
Intentionally causing harm to other living, breathing animals for amusement is plain cruelty.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:20 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,242,711 times
Yes, it's cruel. There is something strange about the fact that we humans often laugh when we see a person (or animal) get hurt. It's a wierd psychological reaction that I don't understand, and I don't think it's a good thing.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:23 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
You guys need to get a life!

Forget the squirrel! Some kind of prank like that was pulled weekly, if not daily, on our friends when I was in school.

Payback was always a beach.

Mr. squirrel's wild ride!

Love it!

Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
And I'll drown the next one that chews holes in my eaves, and begins chewing on my wires. I'll do it happily because I don't want my family dying in the middle of the night due to a house fire. When it's me and mine over drowned squirrels, guess who wins?

I just changed my 'status' in the user panel. How do I vote now? Can you tell what changed?

Self preservation isn't spooky. Wrong analogy.
I live in a neighborhood with TONS of squirrels they are EVERYWHERE and i don't have any problems with them doing anything to my house, or getting into my house. They eat the food I put out for the birds, and that pisses me off sometimes, but they're animals that's what they do. The squirrels are so tame in my neighborhood that they will come down the tree to your hand and take popcorn out of your hand. They're quite lovely actually.

But, given your "situation"...
why not just put poison out in places where they might be in your attic or whatever? that's what you do with rodents, or specific animals that are pests..
The fact that you physically catch them and drown them in water means you've got some anger towards an animal and probably need some psychological evaluations. It takes being smarter than the animal...obviously you aren't.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:38 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,329,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Letting animals die for lack of food is better?
Well there's a WTF moment if I ever saw one. I must have missed the part where the squirrel was dying for lack of food as it was flung a hundred feet at high velocity.

On a side note, if you (general) question whether some action is cruel to an animal, ask yourself if you would do it to your own child. If not, then I wouldn't suggest doing it to an animal either. Respect for all living things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies