Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 07:07 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,910,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Did you even read the OP? He said his friend who was offended is a heterosexual.
Of course I did .. Have you ever considered the fact that his "heterosexual" friend might just be residing in the closet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,705,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Of course I did .. Have you ever considered the fact that his "heterosexual" friend might just be residing in the closet?
Have you ever considered that there are huge numbers of heterosexuals who are not anti-gay?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Have you ever considered that there are huge numbers of heterosexuals who are not anti-gay?
Sure .. and along with that you might also note that most who are not homosexual, really don't care, one way or the other.

Using the term gay by people to decribe something other than being homosexual, doesn't mean that they are anti-gay.

Grow some skin .. the only ones that I've ever seen get their panties in a bunch over the use of the word gay, has been homosexuals ..

The agenda that selected that particular word should have realized at the time that the word itself was up for grabs, to be used whenever, and however, a person saw fit .. and to go one step further .. the word isn't, never has been, and can't ever be .. as exclusive as, lets say .. the "n" word for instance.

Gay is gay, and it's different meanings have spanned generations .. and over time, I can assure you, it will evolve to mean something else .. something other than what the homosexual community wanted it to mean.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:36 PM

1,495 posts, read 2,303,681 times
Quote:
You could also speculate about the "tendencies" of those who are combative on the issue like you are. You know, the whole "thou doth protest too much" principle. But speculation is a pretty poor argument, now isn't it?

Old 01-23-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
the only ones that I've ever seen get their panties in a bunch over the use of the word gay, has been homosexuals ..
Are you saying that homosexuals' opinions are irrelevant? Wow.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:45 PM

Quote:

Grow some skin .. the only ones that I've ever seen get their panties in a bunch over the use of the word gay, has been homosexuals ..
Yes, and that makes sense. If I say, "Quit being a Jew!" to mean something negative, would you be surprised that most Jews would find that usage offensive? Would you tell them to "grow some skin" and stop being so sensitive too?

And if you're heterosexual, why do you care so much about gay topics that you comment on every one of them? Using the logic you expressed earlier, you must be at least bisexual.

Old 01-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Yes, and that makes sense. If I say, "Quit being a Jew!" to mean something negative, would you be surprised that most Jews would find that usage offensive? Would you tell them to "grow some skin" and stop being so sensitive too?

And if you're heterosexual, why do you care so much about gay topics that you comment on every one of them? Using the logic you expressed earlier, you must be at least bisexual.
Oh sure AUM .. yer a funny one indeed ..

Not going to be drawn into that one ..

I will say though, for the sake of argument, that Jew would have more to do with race ..

I'm not aware that being homosexual has anything at all to do with race .. I mean, C'Mon .. is there a Gay Race out there that I'm unaware of?

What I find interesting is that even homosexuals avoid the term "homosexual" .. opting instead to being refered to as gay .. why do you suppose that is?

Last edited by bigskydude; 01-23-2011 at 08:07 PM..

Old 01-23-2011, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Oh sure AUM .. yer a funny one indeed ..

Not going to be drawn into that one ..

I will say though, for the sake of argument, that Jew would have more to do with race ..

I'm not aware that being homosexual has anything at all to do with race .. I mean, C'Mon .. is there a Gay Race out there that I'm unaware of?
I believe most Jews consider Judaism to be a religion, not a race.

And I can understand why you don't want to address my question. You're afraid that acknowledging your interest in gay issues might make you appear to be gay - literally, and ironically - figuratively too.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
What I find interesting is that even homosexuals avoid the term "homosexual" .. opting instead to being refered to as being gay .. why do you suppose that is?
Gay just rolls off the tongue, sounds more natural. Homosexual sounds technical, like a medical condition.

Are you really making this about a word? If you don't like "gay," then I guess we'll call it "blue" or "pigeon." Problem solved.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:07 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,890,818 times
I just wish we could go back to a time when "gay" meant "happy."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies