Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:54 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times

Advertisements

It's obviously not just Tuscon, but other events as well. No matter how much we hope for better, we have a segment of society that has the potential to commit mass murder. My appologies if "derranged" isn't the proper term. Two questions:

1) How do we identify people with such tendencies?

2) What do we do about it? It is time to bring back Asylums and forced committment? I'm not supporting that idea, but would like to see an honest discussion.

Common sense says restricting the tool is useless, if it isn't a gun, it could have been a car, or any kind of homemade bomb, or arson, or poison. Restricting common products because a tiny portion of the population might do bad things with them seems foolish. How do we address the people that commit or are likely to commit these horiffic crimes?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:09 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
It's obviously not just Tuscon, but other events as well. No matter how much we hope for better, we have a segment of society that has the potential to commit mass murder. My appologies if "derranged" isn't the proper term. Two questions:

1) How do we identify people with such tendencies?

2) What do we do about it? It is time to bring back Asylums and forced committment? I'm not supporting that idea, but would like to see an honest discussion.

Common sense says restricting the tool is useless, if it isn't a gun, it could have been a car, or any kind of homemade bomb, or arson, or poison. Restricting common products because a tiny portion of the population might do bad things with them seems foolish. How do we address the people that commit or are likely to commit these horiffic crimes?
Declare a war on mass murder?

You know. Like the war on terror?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,348,947 times
you never know who will do these things an event can trigger someone who no one who ever expect to do this, i don't want someone deciding if I'm mentally derranged and I doubt anyone else would.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:19 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
I don't think there's much that can be done in a free country such as ours. With a population of 308 million people, we're going to have a few crazies walking around freely. That's just the way it is.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
A good article on the issue:

The Tucson Shooter And The Case For Involuntary Commitment | The New Republic

Old 01-11-2011, 04:30 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
You can blame St. Ronnie Raygunz for loosing the mentally challenged on the general public.
He closed mental institutions and put people incapable of caring for themselves out on the streets.
A lot of our homeless are a result of his moving money from social programs into military.

Did Reagan really put mental people on the street? - Yahoo! Answers

Don't like my link, try googling yourself.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:49 PM

21,120 posts, read 19,703,590 times
We should create a "Camp for the Overthrow of Government", and advertise it on internet sites that cater to these politically deranged people. Once they enter, we don't let them out, but provide a humane environment for them and try to help them with their problem (if that is possible).

Old 01-11-2011, 04:58 PM

45,579 posts, read 27,172,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I don't think there's much that can be done in a free country such as ours. With a population of 308 million people, we're going to have a few crazies walking around freely. That's just the way it is.
True - but crimes like this weekend can be quickly prosecuted and judgment executed. He killed 6 people. There are no doubts. He should be toast already.

Do this a few times and the amount of "crazies" will decrease. They may be unstable, but in a lot of cases, they will still look out for their own security.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:15 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Nothing really happened after the Virginia Tech shootings either.

And that kid was absolutely insane.

Nobody bothered to get him help either.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=3048108&page=1

Quote:
Roy told ABC News that Cho seemed "extraordinarily lonely--the loneliest person I have ever met in my life." She said he wore sunglasses indoors, with a cap pulled low over his eyes. He whispered, took 20 seconds to answer questions, and took cellphone pictures of her in class. Roy said she was concerned for her safety when she met with him.

She said she notified authorities about Cho, but said she was told that there would be too many legal hurdles to intervene. She said she asked him to go to counseling, but he never did.
Both the Virginia Tech shooter (Seung-Hui Cho) and Jared Loughton are very close in age - I think only a year apart.

History repeated itself.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:14 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You can blame St. Ronnie Raygunz for loosing the mentally challenged on the general public.
He closed mental institutions and put people incapable of caring for themselves out on the streets.
A lot of our homeless are a result of his moving money from social programs into military.

Did Reagan really put mental people on the street? - Yahoo! Answers

Don't like my link, try googling yourself.
What of this:
Quote:
In 1975, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that involuntary hospitalization and/or treatment violates an individual's civil rights in O'Connor v. Donaldson. This ruling forced individual states to change their statutes. For example, the individual must be exhibiting behavior that is a danger to himself or others in order to be held, the hold must be for evaluation only and a court order must be received for more than very short term treatment or hospitalization (typically no longer than 72 hours). This ruling has severely limited involuntary treatment and hospitalization in the U.S
Involuntary commitment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies