Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,981,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Dream on, not even the PLA will come out with a fantasy like that.
I don't know what the PLA is; however, I hope you are correct about being wrong. The Chinese have been investing heavily in their navy for the past two decades. The OP's article just goes to show that they've done similarly with their air force.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 08:27 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,548,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
You want to see a country collapse faster than the Soviet Union? Let China attack 50% of its export partners with its 1.34 billion people.
China instigated a provocation over the Ryukyus, damaged some Japanese coast guard boats, and got both its equipment and personnel back after Japanese businessmen that either had Chinese plants or sold into the Chinese market pressured the Japanese government for a more conciliatory policy. The traditional Chinese policy has been to go after what it can digest. That means going for incremental gains. China won't do a re-run of WWII. What it will do is fight engagements similar to its border wars with Russia (1969 - ended with no Chinese territorial gains or losses), India (1962 - ended with Chinese territorial gains), South Vietnam (1974 - ended with Chinese control of the Paracel Islands), Vietnam (1979 - ended with no Chinese territorial gains or losses), Tibet (invaded and annexed in 1950), East Turkistan (invaded and annexed in 1949). These would be straightforward fights over land or resources, not bragging rights.

Of course, in a US foreign policy environment devoid of the "entangling alliances" Jefferson warned against, these would not be American problems. Absent an America defense umbrella, the security problems of China's neighbors would remain theirs alone.

Last edited by Zhang Fei; 01-08-2011 at 09:29 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 10:56 PM

3,857 posts, read 6,965,038 times
I don't get it. People laugh off a big country like China as threat yet panic over Iraq, Iran, and possibly Venezuela getting missiles.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:15 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,372,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Does that even matter?
yes, it matters a lot.
china cannot build a jet engine to match the USA 1950's technology.
we're flying fourth generation stealth fighters. no one else is flying past second generation. they still have to buy from Russia.

the .mil is fishing from more $$ to build better planes, better defence. right now we dont need it, but if we do not continue our .mil domination, at some point in time when we do fall behind, china will not be as friendly as we've been.

keep in mind also, china has no blue water navy. that severely limits your capablities.

right now, china is a paper dragon. 20 years from now, that wont be true.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:21 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,372,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhang Fei View Post
... As China gets progressively stronger, and its expansive territorial ambitions become clearer, the question we have to ask ourselves will increasingly be: is the US willing to risk a nuclear attack on DC in order to take back Manila from Chinese invasion forces?

thanks for clarifying china ambitions.

you realize by the time china has that capability, it wont be possible for a missile to reach mainland USA

china =

Old 01-09-2011, 08:14 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,003 times
China is not going to bite the hand that feeds it.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 AM

182 posts, read 406,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
I honestly wish we could but I find it difficult to find anything made in the USA, i look at everything I buy and finding a product made here isn't easy.
That is very true. I have taught my children to look at the labels and on one trip to Target noticed a ridiculous amount of their inventory is Made in China. Kohl's wasn't much better. Walmart is the biggest offender. All of these big box stores which have replaced the mom and pops -- the stores people stopped frequenting because they were too expensive -- are just funneling American money out of the country.

China doesn't need the mother of all fighter jets to bring down the US. It's bleeding us out and buying us up.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,507,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
I don't get it. People laugh off a big country like China as threat yet panic over Iraq, Iran, and possibly Venezuela getting missiles.
When was the last time a Chinese leader openly called for the complete destruction of another country?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,844,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless unemployment View Post
By Jana Winter
Published January 07, 2011
FoxNews.com

While the Pentagon downplays China’s rollout this week of what appears to be a jet fighter designed using sophisticated stealth technology, military experts are warning that the aircraft – reportedly capable of besting America’s F-22 in speed and maneuverability – could pose the greatest threat yet to U.S. air superiority.

FoxNews.com - China's New Fighter Jet Could Pose 'Terrifying' Challenge to U.S. Fleet
Not only that...they could stop buying our worthless bonds.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:23 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,420,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homeless unemployment View Post
By Jana Winter
Published January 07, 2011
FoxNews.com

While the Pentagon downplays China’s rollout this week of what appears to be a jet fighter designed using sophisticated stealth technology, military experts are warning that the aircraft – reportedly capable of besting America’s F-22 in speed and maneuverability – could pose the greatest threat yet to U.S. air superiority.

FoxNews.com - China's New Fighter Jet Could Pose 'Terrifying' Challenge to U.S. Fleet
1. Their missile technology isn't nearly as advanced as ours.

2. The F22 is old technology, see the F35.

3. huge manned aircraft are so last century, drones are the future. Cheaper, more of them, smaller, and just as much damage from thousands of miles away.

China is preparing for the 1980's world, and I don't care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies