Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:15 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,145,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
And cap&trade...buying and selling "carbon credits" is good stewardship ?
Because that is what it will turn into.

Take a look to Japan..after 5 years they are no closer to their emissions goal.
What they have become are world buyers of carbon credits and are spending lots of money to do that.

Cap&Trade is not the holy grail of emissions.
Cap and Trade was a Republican idea that was probably written by corporations so they could continue to pollute while confusing everyone else. I don't think there should be a market for pollution, which is what I think it really creates. Instead, I think every corporation should be held to strict environmental standards. I don't care if it impacts business. Corporations and businesses should be concerned with the impact their actions have on the environment of their own accord, but they won't do so. So, they should be forced into it. They can kick and scream all they want. The damage they cause is immense. They should be better citizens than that. To let them slide because of economics is ridiculous. I guess it's OK that the planet is being destroyed as long as everyone owns a Lexus?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Cap and Trade was a Republican idea that was probably written by corporations so they could continue to pollute while confusing everyone else. I don't think there should be a market for pollution, which is what I think it really creates. Instead, I think every corporation should be held to strict environmental standards. I don't care if it impacts business. Corporations and businesses should be concerned with the impact their actions have on the environment of their own accord, but they won't do so. So, they should be forced into it. They can kick and scream all they want. The damage they cause is immense. They should be better citizens than that. To let them slide because of economics is ridiculous. I guess it's OK that the planet is being destroyed as long as everyone owns a Lexus?

I guess they don't care if their grandchildren will have to wear masks to go outside & enjoy some 'fresh air'.
Fishing? whats that grandpa?
I find it amusing that some people actually believe that businesses will comply all on their own & not dare pollute if there are no environmental standards.
The almighty buck & profits will win every single time.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:46 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,082,257 times
The funny thing is that the policies of environmentalists inhibits progress.

"Progressives" are a confused bunch, aren't they?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:07 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,746,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The funny thing is that the policies of environmentalists inhibits progress.

"Progressives" are a confused bunch, aren't they?

I don't think anybody is against progress, but, "progressives" care about the cost to all of us & not just 'profits' for the corporations & businesses.
I suppose to one who thinks as you do then that is confusing though.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,448,836 times
From what I gathered online, what the New Mexico Environmental Improvement Board did to cause Gov. Martinez such consternation was to approve a very modest cap and trade plan that would require the biggest polluters to reduce their carbon emissions by 2% a year starting in 2013 lasting to 2020. They even exempted Bernalillo County from the rule (where Albuquerque, the largest city, is located) and provided relief for businesses who felt they couldn't afford to meet the regulations. The whole plan was contingent on other states participating (only California had joined in so far). This very tentative plan passed the Board by a 5-4 vote.

Such a plan would hardly have done anything to improve the environment (if and when it might have taken effect) but apparently the principle of it was too "spooky" for Martinez. Firing the whole Board was pure political posturing that will win her accolades from those she's trying to impress.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:50 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,576,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
So we should scrap all regulation that protects the environment?
If winter sucks why not!!! according to liberals it will get much warmer

Old 01-08-2011, 11:11 PM

2,046 posts, read 1,576,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
what concrete evidence do you have we are destroying the planet? is it because celebs. are saying so. what immense damage are they causing? maybe the world is cleaner because of companies, its is possible. I don't want a Lexus I just want to be able to afford my groceries.what you want will destroy humans long before global warming will!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies