Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:54 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

How the heck do we as individuals, in a nation originally based on individual rights, each with individual needs, overcome the collective power push?
They say, there is power in numbers.

There is going to come a day, you as an individual, won't be able to do much without asking the collective if you can do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 08:14 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How the heck do we as individuals, in a nation originally based on individual rights, each with individual needs, overcome the collective power push?

There is going to come a day, you as an individual, won't be able to do much without asking the collective if you can do it.
I see this every day, not from government, but from corporate for profit America.

Insurance companies denying coverage places limitations peoples lives.

Then employers who continually increase hours. Those who own property drive up the cost of rent. Gas prices increasing. No freedom to do anything unless I have the money to do so....... not much freedom there.

I know you're afraid of big government, but corporate America is equally evil, and you can't vote them out. They're the bigger, more iminent threat to my freedom to do what I like on a daily basis. Be careful what you wish for.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:30 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
I see this every day, not from government, but from corporate for profit America.

Then employers who continually increase hours. Those who own property drive up the cost of rent. Gas prices increasing. No freedom to do anything unless I have the money to do so....... not much freedom there.

I know you're afraid of big government, but corporate America is equally evil, and you can't vote them out. They're the bigger, more iminent threat to my freedom to do what I like on a daily basis. Be careful what you wish for.
Vote them out? Hell, people are voting them in. They are the ones who pull the politicians' strings. The puppet masters. Politicians work for the special interests of whoever funded their campaigns: big oil, big coal, big insurance, big pharmaceuticals, big auto, big bank..........

pffft, anyone who believes a politician works for the regular guys' best interest is a fool. Politicians are prostitutes for their pimps: lobbyist for Big Industry's Interest.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:30 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post

An employer is an individual.
The employees if more than one, are the collective.

That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Collective union power taking control over an individual trying to run a business.

Old 12-24-2010, 10:28 AM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times
Quote:
An employer is an individual.
The employees if more than one, are the collective.

That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Collective union power taking control over an individual trying to run a business.
So you propose that a large group of individuals work for the benefit and glorifying of one individual. Perhaps those of us on the bottome should be subserviant like in previoous centuries.

Unions wouldn't be necessary if workers were paid wages that met living expense in the first place. Maybe the individuals running the businesses should realize that.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:29 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,074,302 times
Quote:
What is a "collective power push?"

We are social animals... almost helpless as individuals. Without cooperation, we tend to die swiftly and painfully. What possible reason (beyond psychopathy) would anybody have for pretending the tension between individual and community is a zero sum game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
Absolutely. Were there not, we would have become extinct during the Pleistocene.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow
Only if the right wing gets their wishes.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:24 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
I wonder what would happen if we all could vote on issues and just leave it at that. We could have a figurehead that we vote on, who expresses our wishes to other countries, heads the military, etc. But we the people would become the legislative body. That means we would all have to do lots of reading on the issues before we could vote, we should have to take a fact-based test before we can cast our ballot. If you don't understand the issues and thus can't pass the test, you can't vote. The majority would truly rule in that scenario. We decide on economic and monetary policies, war, foreign relations, international and domestic aid, regulatory stuff (corporate, environmental, etc.)....

@HistorianDude, you have that backward. Conservatives want the people to have the power to do as they see fit, not have big gov't breathing down our backs. We also believe in survival of the fittest. The Dems, in reality, would be NOWHERE if it weren't for the collective.

Old 12-24-2010, 12:30 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Somewhere in the founding of our country I seem to remember the term, "We the People, In order to form a more perfect union......." Nowhere does it say "I" The terms used are "We" and "Union"

Old 12-24-2010, 12:40 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Quote:
This describes the abominable failure of Political Correctness quite well.

Old 12-24-2010, 01:44 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
This describes the abominable failure of Political Correctness quite well.
Political correctness is an attitude, not a law. You are legally free to be as politically incorrect as you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies