Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should race threads be banned?
Yes 13 24.53%
No 40 75.47%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 08:53 AM

24,559 posts, read 23,306,135 times

Advertisements

For a short while there the race baiting threads had fizzled out and I assumed that whoever was getting told to try to stir things up had moved on. Whether for lack of success or lack of being paid, whatever. Now they're back. If you don't like seeing race baiting threads, don't respond to them. Nobody is white or black or male or female or liberal or conservative as far as anyone knows on these boards and anybody can easily pretend to be somebody else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 09:01 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,368,261 times
So, you want to ban race threads but start a thread specifically about race threads.

Don't like it? Don't read it. Problem solved.

Old 12-24-2010, 09:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,277,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
So, you want to ban race threads but start a thread specifically about race threads.

Don't like it? Don't read it. Problem solved.
It's like road kill. It's messy and it's gonna stink, but you gotta stop and look.

Old 12-24-2010, 11:07 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,352,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
People should be able to speak their mind. If you don't want to see 'em, don't go into 'em.
Ditto!

There are a significant number of threads I just don't bother with.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:39 AM

1,677 posts, read 1,676,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
A ban on race threads. By race threads I do not mean threads like "is x politician trying to court the orange vote?" or stuff that actually has to do with politics. I'm talking about threads such as "Why do orange people have high wedlock rates?" and such "innocently" phrased questions that turn into nothing more than borderline and often overtly racist dogma.

Here's a separate question... can anyone make the argument that race threads should be allowed to continue in the way that they have?

Ban the social concept of race by skin color and features. We are all one "race". Problem solved.

It would mean rejecting the grouping of humans by skin color. It would also mean rejecting promotion of self-interest by skin color. Can you do that?

One can effect social change by beginning with oneself.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,091,307 times
The easiest way to kill a thread is to simply ignore it.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:07 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,652,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCincorrect View Post
Of course CD can do what ever its sees fit.

Lets just ban all threads that are offensive then nobody will get their feelings hurt.
On some C-D boards they already do that. Go challenge the atheists on their board and see how long you last.

This board lets a little more go on, from what I understand.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:58 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,926,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
A ban on race threads. By race threads I do not mean threads like "is x politician trying to court the orange vote?" or stuff that actually has to do with politics. I'm talking about threads such as "Why do orange people have high wedlock rates?" and such "innocently" phrased questions that turn into nothing more than borderline and often overtly racist dogma.

Here's a separate question... can anyone make the argument that race threads should be allowed to continue in the way that they have?
You could probably do away with threads like that when the MSM quits throwing the race cards around

Old 12-29-2010, 02:28 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,105,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
race troll threads get replies and views, which is what the troll thrives on. why would I post a thread on tax policy and get limited views and replies when I can post a thread about why blacks do this, or do that, which will get 150 replies and 1,000 views. the troll thrives on attention.

in my opinion its the gullibility of the people who fall for the troll that let the racist posts thrive on this site. if everyone just ignored the troll and didnt feed it, then the forum would have much better conversation. but when you have people who keep the troll going, you will continue to see numerous race baited posts on this forum.

this forum is a trolls paradise.
Concur. I also see this same thing with threads on the South. The trolls love some South bashing. Personally I gravitate towards threads about tax policy, foreign policy, military, economics, etc. However, those threads don't get quite the same response as "Why does x race always do y thing?" or "Why is the South still so backwards, redneck, and ignorant?" Of course, there are other topics that get this same treatment as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies