Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 12:52 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,386,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
This is true.

I seem to remember once, a friend and I compared the total tax burden in New York with that in Norway, and they were quite similar. Whereas, when it came to getting something back for the taxes, there was no comparison at all.
I know.

Norway, inarguably, has one of the highest quality of life ratings on earth. If you count quality of life as : low rates of poverty, universal access to higher education, universal access to health care, life span.....

Yeah, they pay high taxes. But they also see clear return. And as you noted, the tax burden on some American citizens seems comparable, but...no comparison at all when you look at societal benefit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Can norway defend itself from an inavasion?
Do they have reason to be concerned?

Old 12-16-2010, 12:54 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,420,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
This is true.

I seem to remember once, a friend and I compared the total tax burden in New York with that in Norway, and they were quite similar. Whereas, when it came to getting something back for the taxes, there was no comparison at all.
Yep. It all comes down to foolish spending. We probably wouldn't gripe if we saw prudent and wise fiscal practices in spending. The truth is that we can have a lot more (including public health care) if we stopped giving our hard earned money away for art grants, foreign aid, the maintenance of an over-extended military as we seek to maintain a world empire. But politicians are addicted to our taxes. It's their crack.

Old 12-16-2010, 12:56 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,178,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".
This is the reason why Germany is thriving and we are sinking fast. Germany has not sold out to China and India and treats their workers with better standard of living expectations and the policies to support them.

The bottom line is that we have criminals in Congress taking bribery from greedy corporations and Wall Street via lobbyists and holding legislation that could benefit our middle class hostage utilizing extortion until the corporate masters are served with legislation that they demand. It is really bizarre, but quite easy to understand.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:01 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,895,444 times
One speaks German, the other speaks whatever the Heritage Foundation tells him to.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:10 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,244,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
Do they have reason to be concerned?

They do not need to concerned because they know we will defend them

Old 12-16-2010, 01:17 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,991,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".
That is what we have going on in this country we have rich people living in a poor country.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
They do not need to concerned because they know we will defend them
And who do you see on the radar for attacking Norway in the forseeable future?

Old 12-16-2010, 01:27 PM

4,301 posts, read 4,420,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadScribe View Post
And who do you see on the radar for attacking Norway in the forseeable future?
Must be those pesky and warlike Danes again.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
Must be those pesky and warlike Danes again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies