Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 07:08 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
So he's more concerned about image than anything else.

The idea that paying taxes brings prosperity for all is stupid beyond belief.
I does not sound like he is saying it brings prosperity. By "a poor country" he is probably referring to countries in Africa, who cannot afford to provide for very basic services.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 07:11 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,868,557 times
I imagine the German Civil Service at all levels is more efficient and entirely staffed by merit based candidates than the system we use. Do mind being taxed if the money is being used properly.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:12 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I does not sound like he is saying it brings prosperity. By "a poor country" he is probably referring to countries in Africa, who cannot afford to provide for very basic services.
No, he's arguing that taxes make a country not poor.

Which is an absurd premise. African countries are not poor because they don't collect taxes, they are poor because they produce little wealth.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:18 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,868,557 times
What percentage of the German population is a worthless underclass like we have?

Old 09-27-2014, 07:22 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,778,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, he's arguing that taxes make a country not poor.

Which is an absurd premise. African countries are not poor because they don't collect taxes, they are poor because they produce little wealth.
How do African countries pay to build infrastructure if they do not collect any taxes? By private donations? How is it working for them? They have rich people in Africa, and the point the German industrialist was making was that he did not want to be a rich person in a poor country. Why can't you accept the fact that some people do not see taxes as theft. He doesn't mind paying taxes, because he believes the money is used to improve the nation as whole. Maybe in Germany they get more services for the money they pay, while in US we get very few services. That might explain his willingness to pay.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:01 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,479,597 times
My 2 cents:
1) The fact that one (wealthy) person said something doesn't mean much. There are probably more American rich folks that pay their taxes and don't talk about that. Bill Gates, Warren Buffet and many others.
2) The big difference between US and Germany is that here, many lower income conservatives are concerned (for unclear reasons) about taxing the rich than the billionaires themselves. I haven't seen this phenomena in any country: poor people worried about how the wealthy (or big corporations) will make it. That's uniquely American.

Old 09-27-2014, 08:36 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
How do African countries pay to build infrastructure if they do not collect any taxes? By private donations? How is it working for them? They have rich people in Africa, and the point the German industrialist was making was that he did not want to be a rich person in a poor country.
Words have meanings. African countries are not poor "because they do not collect taxes", they are poor "because they create very little wealth".

Quote:
Why can't you accept the fact that some people do not see taxes as theft.
This is irrelevant to this conversation and the topic. And taxation to give to someone is theft. Period. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Period. Fact, end of discussion. These are objective facts and are not subject to revision by emotion.

Quote:
He doesn't mind paying taxes, because he believes the money is used to improve the nation as whole. Maybe in Germany they get more services for the money they pay, while in US we get very few services. That might explain his willingness to pay.
No, he avoided answering the question because he did mind and could not think of any politically correct reason.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:03 PM

68,356 posts, read 54,566,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't mind paying taxes. I'm not an anarcho-capitalist or wants to privatize the court system. I am willing to give up 15% or so of my income for defense, interstate highways, diplomacy, etc, not 45% to fund pig research in Argentina.
How do you feel about funding asinine wars of choice that have no benefit to America?

Old 09-27-2014, 10:41 PM

6,104 posts, read 6,005,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
A German manufacturer was being interviewed on a cable business program. He was very wealthy so the interviewer kept on about all the taxes he was paying in Germany. The guy just didn't seem interested in talking about it, but the interviewer would not let it go. Finally, the German said, "I just don't care about the taxes I pay". The interviewer was speechless for a few seconds and then blurted out, "But why don't you care"? The German thought for a couple of seconds and replied. "Because I don't want to be a rich man living in a poor country".

This rich German has learned the lesson that we are all in this thing called life together. He also knows its not a good idea to have a lot of poor Germans singing the Horst Wessel!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:21 PM

38,650 posts, read 26,451,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
Too bad not many Americans feel the same way. Most here would say I want to be a rich man and to hell with my Country!!

Talk is cheap and it's even cheaper when you don't an option about paying the taxes anyway.

In the US, Democrat friendly billionaires like Warren Buffett publicly request to be taxed at a higher rate while not paying the taxes they already owe.

Report: Buffett's Berkshire Owes $1 Billion In Back Taxes

The low information crowd has no clue as usual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies