Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 12:46 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Please explain how self-employed individuals would produce automobiles, computer chips, digital cameras, and airliners.

The world was a hodge-podge of individual craftsmen a few centries ago. It was called the preindustrial world, where single men practiced a trade or tried to scratch a living off the farm.

Industrialization has made that economic model archaic, irrelevant, and unsupportable in today's world.

There were no Unions when the industrial revolution started and got rolling full bore. They came years afterward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2010, 12:53 PM

32 posts, read 54,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
There were no Unions when the industrial revolution started and got rolling full bore. They came years afterward.
Are you suggesting that is positive or negative? I don't associate the working conditions during the industrial revolution with high quality of life.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unemployed2010 View Post
Are you suggesting that is positive or negative? I don't associate the working conditions during the industrial revolution with high quality of life.

One was surely able to set their own destiny, good or bad.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:27 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,701,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
One was surely able to set their own destiny, good or bad.
Quote:
I so completely agree with these sentiments. The true downfall of this country began way back in the day when we began to burden our legal system with pesky nuisances like child labor laws and unions. Back in the good old days, any six year old was entirely free to pull himself up by his bootstraps, get a job in a factory, and become a productive member of society.

Old 12-19-2010, 03:42 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
Interesting. I might be willing to consider it. I provide my own vehicle, equipment and tools and I am available to contract to not only the cellular carrier I work for but to any and all of them. My rate is $75 an hour and 50 cents a mile M-F between 0700 and 1700 and my rate is $100 an hour for any other times. I would be responsible for paying for my own insurance and expenses. I could consider it.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:02 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Interesting. I might be willing to consider it. I provide my own vehicle, equipment and tools and I am available to contract to not only the cellular carrier I work for but to any and all of them. My rate is $75 an hour and 50 cents a mile M-F between 0700 and 1700 and my rate is $100 an hour for any other times. I would be responsible for paying for my own insurance and expenses. I could consider it.
No dice. No contract. Strictly day to day. Furthermore you don't tell them what your rate is they tell you! Given the available pool of labor these days that means $10/hr. Take it or leave it.

H

Old 12-21-2010, 05:15 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,232,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
I so completely agree with these sentiments. The true downfall of this country began way back in the day when we began to burden our legal system with pesky nuisances like child labor laws and unions. Back in the good old days, any six year old was entirely free to pull himself up by his bootstraps, get a job in a factory, and become a productive member of society.
Absolutely. And while we're at it, we should allow anyone over the age of 12 to test out of a high school diploma. This is one of the original uses for the GED--to allow younger children to have their diploma equivalent in order to begin their careers on their own timetable.

Every week our local paper profiles a leader in business, industry, or public affairs. Almost without fail, each one began his or her first job around the age of 12 or 13.

In those days, many people were essentially self-employed. The government was much less involved in the relationship between the employer and the employee. Unions came about to provide individuals more weight when negotiating with larger employers. Before too long, government got involved and things got overcomplicated. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the government got out of the employer/employee relationship altogether.

I'd also like to go back to a relationship between an airline and the passenger without government interference. I would be willing to fly on a plane with only the airline's security and bypass the TSA altogether. Why should the government tell me or the airline that we have to follow their rules if we are willing to take the risk?

What is freedom, really, but the choice to take a risk?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Absolutely. And while we're at it, we should allow anyone over the age of 12 to test out of a high school diploma. This is one of the original uses for the GED--to allow younger children to have their diploma equivalent in order to begin their careers on their own timetable.

Every week our local paper profiles a leader in business, industry, or public affairs. Almost without fail, each one began his or her first job around the age of 12 or 13.

In those days, many people were essentially self-employed. The government was much less involved in the relationship between the employer and the employee. Unions came about to provide individuals more weight when negotiating with larger employers. Before too long, government got involved and things got overcomplicated. It would be interesting to see what would happen if the government got out of the employer/employee relationship altogether.

I'd also like to go back to a relationship between an airline and the passenger without government interference. I would be willing to fly on a plane with only the airline's security and bypass the TSA altogether. Why should the government tell me or the airline that we have to follow their rules if we are willing to take the risk?

What is freedom, really, but the choice to take a risk?

My first job, age 6. I had 4 lawns to mow in the neighborhood.
12, started helping my sister husband lay carpet, did that every summer until I turned 16 and had bought my own car(68 Coronet R/T) and chased girls and flipped burgers all summer until I got out of high school, where I worked at the body shop, in the mornings before my school day(started at noon for me I had work program in the morning)

I got told I could not have my daughter on the jobsite to help me during the summer????? and I'm self employed and she is on my payroll and fully insured, during the summers.

Old 12-21-2010, 10:21 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
If you truly think that there will be "one world order" any time in our lifetimes, you're seriously deluded. Christians can't even get along with each other, much less anyone else; Muslims can't get along with any other religion; Jews want to get rid of the Arabs; China isn't going to allow itself to be governed by anyone else, and that's not even touching the problem of countries like North Korea, Somalia, et cetera.

Yeah right. One world order, suuuuure.
Ah..but that is all part and parcel..keep the peons divided.

The banksters aren't divided like that. They've been able to take down the globe, one country at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies