Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:01 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times

Advertisements

It may be that our mammoth federal debt will NOT bankrupt the USA after all:

Quote:
Moreover, adding money to the money supply cannot hurt the economy when the money supply is shrinking, as it is now. Most money today consists simply of bank credit, and bank credit is shrinking because banks are deleveraging. Bad debts are wiping out capital, which wipes out lending capacity. QE2 is just an attempt to fill the empty liquidity pitcher back up -- and a rather feeble attempt at that. Financial commentator Charles Hugh Smith estimates that the economy now faces $15 trillion in writedowns in collateral and credit, based on projections from the latest Fed Flow of Funds (September 17, 2010). Based on his projections, it might be argued that the Fed could print enough money to refinance the entire federal debt without creating price inflation.
Full article here:

Ellen Brown: Is QE2 the Road to Zimbabwe-style Hyperinflation? Not Likely

It's party time again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:02 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
It may be that our mammoth federal debt will NOT bankrupt the USA after all:

Full article here:

Ellen Brown: Is QE2 the Road to Zimbabwe-style Hyperinflation? Not Likely

It's party time again!!!
Woo hoo - tax cuts and free health care for everybody!

Old 12-03-2010, 11:05 AM

3,153 posts, read 3,593,111 times
yes..the Huffington Post..quotes another left wing economist...zero credibility...

Old 12-03-2010, 11:09 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,756,161 times
If that is true, than why not just print up $12 trillion, pay off all the debt and give everybody a year long tax holiday?? That would get the economy moving better.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:21 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Printing up the money and paying the debt would not please the bankers. Then who would they lend the money to? If they didn't lend the money they would not make any and go broke. When they went broke they would not be anything to owe the money to. That sounds pretty good. Start the presses!

Old 12-03-2010, 01:07 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,531,852 times
It became all fun and games for the FED when Nixon dropped the gold standard.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:10 PM

1,672 posts, read 1,770,911 times
The U.S. does not have the productivity or innovative growth to support $12 Trillion in new money supply in a short time span. It wouldn't cause hyper-inflation though, she is right. It would just be "high" inflation (~10% annual).

Old 12-03-2010, 01:14 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,090,553 times
Debt is meaningless.. I know many here dont understand that but it is.. Its deficits that are the killer..

To try to explain, who has more debt, you or General Electric, Donald Trump? Clearly these organizations have more debt, but are they in worse condition than you? Most likely they arent. Debt by itself is ok if you have income to substantiate that debt.

I've got tens of millions in debt, its a non issue.. It only becomes an issue when a tenant moves out and I cant support the debt. I'd gladly take on $1T in debt if I could use it to bring in $100B in income.. understand?

Old 12-03-2010, 01:19 PM

5,341 posts, read 6,519,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Debt is meaningless.. I know many here dont understand that but it is.. Its deficits that are the killer..

To try to explain, who has more debt, you or General Electric, Donald Trump? Clearly these organizations have more debt, but are they in worse condition than you? Most likely they arent. Debt by itself is ok if you have income to substantiate that debt.

I've got tens of millions in debt, its a non issue.. It only becomes an issue when a tenant moves out and I cant support the debt. I'd gladly take on $1T in debt if I could use it to bring in $100B in income.. understand?

For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:50 PM

18,249 posts, read 16,909,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post
For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
I go with the latter; don't waste your time trying to explain that to me---it's WAAAYYYY over my head. I guess macroeconomics is not the little guy's thing. I can barely grasp the mechanics of how I'm suppose to balance my checkbook, let alone how they're going to solve this 15 trillion dollar debt.

PS If indeed they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies