Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 09:49 AM

12,436 posts, read 12,006,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As the saying goes, if you can't make it in America you can't make it anywhere. Poor adult people who are not outliers (like sick ones, for example) are poor because of bad choices they have made in life that limit their choices as they age. Someone needs to tell them that so their kids don't fall into the same trap. Not finishing school, having a baby out of wedlock, doing drugs or hanging out with the wrong kind of people are some examples of how choices you make in life limit your opportunities later on. Oh yeah, and stop listening to the people who preach victimology and make a buck off of it.
This is the myth that is perpetuated...everyone who is destitute chose to be that way. I don't know anyone that chose to have cancer or chose to be layed off because their company went under. The most important element that dispels the myth is chance - chaos theory. You accidentally point it out.
The first bit of chance is being born in the U.S. You did not choose to be born here, it was chance. The second is who your parents were and what you inherited from them...chance. I am not talking about just wealth, I am talking about intellectual capacity...chance ---not choice. No matter how hard I work or choose to work I will never be a champion in the 100 meters. It is not a choice. Everyone did not choose to be poor, some did not have a choice. IF it helps you to not feel sorry for these people or want to help, then I guess whatever gets you through the night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 09:54 AM

1,377 posts, read 1,059,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
As the saying goes, if you can't make it in America you can't make it anywhere. Poor adult people who are not outliers (like sick ones, for example) are poor because of bad choices they have made in life that limit their choices as they age. Someone needs to tell them that so their kids don't fall into the same trap. Not finishing school, having a baby out of wedlock, doing drugs or hanging out with the wrong kind of people are some examples of how choices you make in life limit your opportunities later on. Oh yeah, and stop listening to the people who preach victimology and make a buck off of it.
But look at Bristol Palin, she had a baby out of wedlock and now she is considered a star It's not what you know..........

Old 12-03-2010, 09:58 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,973,668 times
This thread just reinforces the topic of the book "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder" by Michael Savage.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
This thread just reinforces the topic of the book "Liberalism is a Mental Disorder" by Michael Savage.
That was very thought provoking...if you are an ameba.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:03 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,875,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthBTold2U View Post
LOL just like clockwork. Just last night Beck was preaching about the fall of Rome and low and behold
It's pretty pathetic people think they know something about history because Beck told them so If you want to learn about history, read a book.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
It's pretty pathetic people think they know something about history because Beck told them so If you want to learn about history, read a book.
You need to be a little more specific. Read a book from someone who actually knows something about history and not a political pundit.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:10 AM

29,980 posts, read 43,128,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
This is the myth that is perpetuated...everyone who is destitute chose to be that way. I don't know anyone that chose to have cancer or chose to be layed off because their company went under. The most important element that dispels the myth is chance - chaos theory. You accidentally point it out.
The first bit of chance is being born in the U.S. You did not choose to be born here, it was chance. The second is who your parents were and what you inherited from them...chance. I am not talking about just wealth, I am talking about intellectual capacity...chance ---not choice. No matter how hard I work or choose to work I will never be a champion in the 100 meters. It is not a choice. Everyone did not choose to be poor, some did not have a choice. IF it helps you to not feel sorry for these people or want to help, then I guess whatever gets you through the night.
How is it helping to pigeon hole certain populations into generational welfare dependency?

How does feeling sorry for someone help them? Do you understand the difference between pity and empathy?

To read your post one might think everything is up to chance and that the individual plays no role at all in his/her own destiny. I believe our actions indeed play a role in our fate. I want to make those choices for myself and not have some out of control large central government determine and shape my destiny by severely limiting my choices, liberty, and ability to succeed or fail as a result of my own industry and decisions. Of course, YMMV.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:15 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,087,821 times
In response to the OP. Who would kill a poor person for their money? Given the rate and locations of most of the homicides I would venture that a lot of people would. Violently robbing people is too much work for the yield and way too dangerous in Right to Carry States. It is far easier and more lucrative to use a fountain pen or a PC.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:59 AM

13,641 posts, read 21,494,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stayinformed40 View Post

Just stop crying the blues because someone else has more than you!.

While people can be envious say like of someone with a mansion and a lear jet that doesn't mean all people are looking to bring down the rich because of that.

It could be because they see their life becoming more difficult because their health insurance and bills doubles and triples, and they must accept a job that competes with 3rd world wages on top off that, while those that at the top that implemented that policy buy another mansion and doubled their profit because.

If the answer to that is "well work hard so you can become one of the top elite who have the power to implement such policy" then that is not a answer at all.

My health insurance just doubled in price again for 2011, I bet in 2011 I'll see a article saying how the insurance industry recorded great profit in 2011. If that happens, and continues to happen yes at some point te average Joe is going to revolt.

Old 12-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
How is it helping to pigeon hole certain populations into generational welfare dependency?

How does feeling sorry for someone help them? Do you understand the difference between pity and empathy?

To read your post one might think everything is up to chance and that the individual plays no role at all in his/her own destiny. I believe our actions indeed play a role in our fate. I want to make those choices for myself and not have some out of control large central government determine and shape my destiny by severely limiting my choices, liberty, and ability to succeed or fail as a result of my own industry and decisions. Of course, YMMV.
The thread is not about government control over your actions. The thread is about the growing disparity between the very rich and the poor and shrinking middle class and the possible consequences. I do understand the difference betwen pity and empathy. I cannot empathise with the wealthy not wanting to pay taxes because I have never been wealthy. That is what is required for empathy. I assuming that you can't empathise with them either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies