Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 03:29 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Clearly some individuals are confused.

The Republicans got the house back because the Dems DIDNT COMPROMISE AT ALL..

Name ONE THING, they compromised on? Just one..
Public option. There that was easy they completely caved on that to get the "Blue dogs".

Now look at the tax cuts. A vote should've been forced on that BEFORE elections, but they dropped it, and now they're compromising it more.

Look at the demographics for the election. The democratic base just stayed home because they caved on everything and showed they couldn't unify and get things done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,588,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
Public option. There that was easy they completely caved on that to get the "Blue dogs".

Now look at the tax cuts. A vote should've been forced on that BEFORE elections, but they dropped it, and now they're compromising it more.

Look at the demographics for the election. The democratic base just stayed home because they caved on everything and showed they couldn't unify and get things done.
It's hardly compromising when the only thing you're compromising is to get the more centrist members of YOUR OWN PARTY on board with something.

And really, you're going to use HCR as a feather in anyone's cap? We all got sold out to the insurance companies in that one. Great "compromise"

As to your last point: No, the independents and moderates stayed home (or voted the other way) because we were tired of the extreme left side of the aisle trying to ram completely ridiculous agendas down our throats or passing useless legislation that accomplished nothing just so they could have a photo op with their sinister smiles as they proclaimed they just accomplished "reform".

Old 12-03-2010, 03:37 PM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
It's hardly compromising when the only thing you're compromising is to get the more centrist members of YOUR OWN PARTY on board with something.

And really, you're going to use HCR as a feather in anyone's cap? We all got sold out to the insurance companies in that one. Great "compromise"
I'm not saying it was a good compromise. If it was, the dem base would yhave gone out to the polls. It was pretty much the Republican plan from 15-20 years ago by the time the centrists were on board (thus showing how far right this country has been dragged by the extremists)

Tell me one thing where Republicans have offered a compromise in the past two years vs. their typical "take our plan only or we vote a party line no" on everything.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:59 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,624 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it was a good compromise. If it was, the dem base would yhave gone out to the polls. It was pretty much the Republican plan from 15-20 years ago by the time the centrists were on board (thus showing how far right this country has been dragged by the extremists)

Tell me one thing where Republicans have offered a compromise in the past two years vs. their typical "take our plan only or we vote a party line no" on everything.
Tell me where the Dems started working on a bill where they had a cross section of both Dem/Repub from start to finsih with equal input...or where any amendments of substance would be accepted...

Old 12-03-2010, 09:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Tell me where the Dems started working on a bill where they had a cross section of both Dem/Repub from start to finsih with equal input...or where any amendments of substance would be accepted...
The fact is ZERO, however the libs don't understand that since Nancy never told them the truth.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:59 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyt View Post
There was a lot of compromise in the healthcare bill.
No there wasnt..

Old 12-03-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
I guess maybe we both have selected memory. I know this is what Eric Cantor and his cronies say happened. But I believe Republicans made it quite clear that they were not in favor of health care reform in any way that the Dems would possibly want reform...

Once they made that clear, no, they were not invited to discuss it. I don't recall them asking to be included either. They waited until the bills were introduced and chose THEN to whine that they were left out of the process.... Its like Randy Moss not trying on EVERY play and then complaining at the end of the game that nobody threw him the ball...

As for "Doing what Democrats taught 'us' to do"? Really? Are you so quick to dismiss the way Bush and congress acted for SIX YEARS of Republican control?

I'd submit that the only unfortunate thing for the Dems, and why they TRULY lost the House, is that they turned off their base by actually not going far enough on several things, primarily the Health Care Bill... No better way to have your base not show up to the voting booth than to ignore them.
Tell me why Republicans would want to support a bill by the Democrats which increased costs? Thats what the CBO said would happen with the bill that passed. Is that what you wanted from "reform" HIGHER costs? I dont think so, so why would you want Republicans to support such a failed policy?
Quote:

They caved to get Democratic votes, not Republicans..

Old 12-03-2010, 10:27 PM

Quote:

Wrong, not even the Democratic base wanted the "we'll have to pass it so you can see whats in it" legislation that we ended up with.. They wanted REAL reform, REAL cut in costs.. The fact that Republicans had similar plans going back 15 years or so is meaningless since the republican public didnt like it then, we dont like it now..

Stop asking what Republicans have offered to compromise because the Republicans shouldnt compromise on failed legislation. your party passed whatever it wanted to now live with the consequences of those actions and stop blaming the party that had NOTHING to do with it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies