Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:03 AM

683 posts, read 825,639 times

Advertisements

this is a start...

Join in on the World's Biggest Bank Run This December | Economy | AlterNet

But what of the politics? Here in the United States it is now overwhelmingly clear that a dozen or so of the largest financial institutions responsible for the crash and ensuing recession have gained, not lost, by their irresponsible decisions. They repeatedly tell us that they have "learned lessons." This is true, they have: Learned that their past decisions have enriched senior management beyond belief. Learned that their market share is now substantially larger than before the crash. And learned that the government has deemed them Too Big To Fail (this latter designation lowers their cost of funds and enhances their profitability). Showing admirable "bi-partisanship," Republican and Democratic administrations have worked hard and seamlessly to bring about these "lessons." This summer, the Dodd-Frank Financial Reform and Consumer Protection Act enshrined the perspective of financial elites that reform should be primarily symbolic. In a sentence, over $12,000,000,000 of stock market, real estate, and other asset values disappeared, while rates of home foreclosures and unemployment soared, with virtually NO political or legal consequences. I might be a cynic, but I hope to never be as cynical as those who engineered these outcomes.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-02-2010 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: inappropriate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
About one of the dumbest ideas that I've heard of for a long, long time. Truly something worth of the Tea Party.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:19 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,236,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
About one of the dumbest ideas that I've heard of for a long, long time. Truly something worth of the Tea Party.
We agree about it being one of the dumbest ideas ever stated, but don't blame this on the Tea Party.

Fringe folks can exist anywhere.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Yeah, I think I'm busy doing something constructive that day.

Old 11-28-2010, 12:38 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,063,784 times
You should do it, and hide it all under your mattress or bury it in the yard.

Be sure to buy a house way away from civilization as well to isolate yourself when "everything crashes".

Stay there, so all the sane people will be left the heck alone.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:53 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,544,740 times
I think it's a great idea! What's wrong with it?

But, I'd go a step further and cancel any credit card accounts you have with them too. When you cancel an account, you don't have to pay off any remaining balance right then. You can just continue on as you've been doing, but you can't add anything else to it.

Old 11-28-2010, 03:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
I think it's a great idea! What's wrong with it?
First of all this just doesn't make any sense:

"Additionally, the banks and the central banks overseeing them will have time to prepare for the event,"

How pray tell? By forcing a bank to borrow money to cover money tied up in investments? Try the FDIC having to step in since it is the insurer for commercial banking not the Fed!

Quote:
I'd go a step further and cancel any credit card accounts
I have no problem with such an idea, the other one is still halfbaked lunacy.

Old 11-30-2010, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
We agree about it being one of the dumbest ideas ever stated, but don't blame this on the Tea Party.

Fringe folks can exist anywhere.
So you guys are either in on the racket or you just like getting bent over, raped and pillaged by the banksters & politicians who pulled this off...

Old 11-30-2010, 07:06 PM

46,978 posts, read 26,041,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Sniper View Post
So you guys are either in on the racket or you just like getting bent over, raped and pillaged by the banksters & politicians who pulled this off...
The liner has hit the iceberg.

Do you:

A: Work to get the leaks plugged, maintain steerage, and get some lifeboats ready?

or

B: Rush to open the sea valves to get your revenge on those careless shipowners and officers?

Old 11-30-2010, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The liner has hit the iceberg.

Do you:

A: Work to get the leaks plugged, maintain steerage, and get some lifeboats ready?

or

B: Rush to open the sea valves to get your revenge on those careless shipowners and officers?
Option A! While at the same time throwing the crew who steered into the iceberg overboard in to the icy waters.... It's not like the iceberg snuck up on these guys, they have been plotting this course for twenty years. All the while ignoring repeated warnings.

And - I don't believe in all of that "Too Big To Fail" crap either. If certain institutions are forced to close their doors because of their own reckless gambling junkie habits, then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies