Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 03:21 PM

786 posts, read 4,732,365 times

Advertisements

I hear on Talk Radio that many conservatives want to stay in Iraq with a full force of troops until we win the war. If this takes 5-10-20 years, so be it. We can not afford Iraq being taken over by a full scale civil war, or being taken over by Iran. So we need to stay and fight until we win.

Is there anyone who believes this and please give us your best arguments for staying until we win.

( Please do not reply if you are against the war in Iraq, there is another thread for this)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 03:40 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,718 times
What are they doing sitting around listening to the
radio, then ?

Old 07-09-2007, 03:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
I wanted us to take out Saddam, then leave a few supervisory troops behind to assist in an orderly transition as the "new" regime took over, while the rest of us departed.
I DID NOT want, nor do I now want, for us to remain there for the next 16 generations until they "learn" to live in a democracy. That's absurd, and an impossible goal. Why we can't settle for some sort of benevolent dictatorship is beyond me.
I also admit that I closed my eyes to what I did not want to see. Knowing the Arabs have no history of any sort of successful democracy, I guess I should have expected the outcome. But wishful thinking on my part led me to note that Iraq was quite a sophistcated society by local standards. Its women held responsible positions, and its clerics were kept at bay. I let this fact delude me into thinking "surely such an educated secular Arab society will not willingly let itself slip backward into the stone age". For that mistake, I'm guilty. The veneer of civilization was just too fragile, I guess.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:00 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,793,617 times
What available troops would that be? 10-15-20 years....that is nuts. And what is the current definition of "win the war"....I would love to hear it.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:01 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,296,710 times
I think we should send the Bush Twins over there...that might make me feel just a tiny bit better about this farce of a war. Give them a little nose candy and I doubt they would mind.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:05 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,553,886 times
How about an all-out campaign of MANDATORY COUNTRY MUSIC concerts, 24 hours per day, in every Iraqi city, town and crossroads,. SURELY this would "nudge" the distressed citizenry into coming together in some sort of agreement with one another? Any takers? Is Charlie Daniels free next month?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:11 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
The only way we'll "win" anything is to completely kill all Sunnis or Shiites, and give the Kurds Northern Iraq. Which do we like better?

The country music idea is good. "Iraq-Aid", like Farm-Aid back in the 80's to help farmers. Maybe Iraqis can make peace braids or something? Bumper stickers: What Would Allah Do? Oh wait, What Would Mohammed Do?

Old 07-09-2007, 04:26 PM

451 posts, read 835,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I hear on Talk Radio that many conservatives want to stay in Iraq with a full force of troops until we win the war. If this takes 5-10-20 years, so be it. We can not afford Iraq being taken over by a full scale civil war, or being taken over by Iran. So we need to stay and fight until we win.

Is there anyone who believes this and please give us your best arguments for staying until we win.

( Please do not reply if you are against the war in Iraq, there is another thread for this)
I think the only way US troops (in the numbers that are there now) would be in Iraq that long from now is if we were at war with Iran and or Syria and used that as an excuse to have troops strategically placed.

I really don't think the troops will be pulling out in september. I think Bush will find away to withdrawal the troops (maybe leaving small contingent) on his timeline and I think it will be in 2008 just in time to take away a major democrat election weapon.

Old 07-09-2007, 04:27 PM

1,135 posts, read 3,981,718 times
the chimp has already said he is leaving the mess for the next
administration.

Old 07-09-2007, 05:10 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
In my eyes a victory would have to include there being a stable region for at least 6 years, preferably longer, after our withdrawal. I'd be in favor of staying a bit longer if victory included that requirement.

Given the history of the area and the lack of planning behind the invasion I just don't see that having a great probability, maybe 20% at best?

What troubles me is back in NOV when Bush finally admitted the need for a new plan he went on vacation instead of constantly working to develop and implement a new plan. I'd need to hear more commiment from the asministration, something more than sound-bites before I'd vote to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies