Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 07:35 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,455,245 times

Advertisements

The SEIU own the "biggest bullhorn to drown out reason."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 07:41 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,865,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The Supreme Court’s Citizens United vs. the Federal Election Commission made it possible. The Federal Election Commission says only 32 percent of groups paying for election ads are disclosing the names of their donors. By comparison, in the 2006 midterm, 97 percent disclosed; in 2008, almost half disclosed. [/indent]
-- The Perfect Storm ^^
I saw that elected official bashed by some faceless PAC living in a PO box-- where was he from- oregon? When you've got 1,200 constituents and a million dollar ad gets dumped on you-- sorry. The worst part of this horrible decision is in circumvents the law elsewhere. Public officials have the same right to face their accusers as any other citizen. This smokescreen of corporate subsidiary and large sums of money needs a corporate death penalty hung from the Tory tree.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:48 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,865,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
The SEIU own the "biggest bullhorn to drown out reason."
Please do provide the evidence how SEIU drowns out the voice of fortune 500 & the special ed pet Goldman Sachs requiring legislative corporate welfare. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,377,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
Please do provide the evidence how SEIU drowns out the voice of fortune 500 & the special ed pet Goldman Sachs requiring legislative corporate welfare. I'm looking forward to reading it.
I think it was code for "Lalalala, I can't hear you"

Old 11-01-2010, 09:10 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,455,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think it was code for "Lalalala, I can't hear you"
I enjoyed your post, Delusianne. There are two separate issues here that some posters are linking: campaign money and corrupting power of lobbyists.

On the campaign front, the SEIU was the largest donor this cycle, period. Total money raised on each side was roughly equal, with the Dems having a slight advantage.

The broader money infrastructure that Reich talks about in his article is a problem with governance, not with election finance. When the tax code has special breaks for NASCAR track owners and rum importers, we have lost "equal treatment under the law." The governance problem is huge. Goldman Sachs has seemed at times to be the 4th branch of government. Crony capitalism strikes at the foundations of our system.

In my opinion, all too often millions of businesses have been tarred with a broad brush because of the actions of the few. Thousands of banks were vilified based on the actions of a few. The CEO salaries of a few dozen companies have been license to cast doubt on the fundamental basis of the free enterprise system. I understand the good people who allege that the administration has created a hostile environment for business. A lot of money went to Republican "outside" groups from businesses who get nothing from crony capitalism but feel that change is needed for them to do business, hire people, and thrive.

So I would fight side by side with you on one issue, but against you on the other. It is maddening that crony capitalism seems to thrive no matter who is in power. But the health of the other 99% of American businesses is vital to our future vitality and prosperity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies