Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:19 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
We could get rid of the outsourcing to China and India by implementing a fair system of taxation and fixing the problems with the unions. The corporations are outsourcing overseas because it's cheaper. They get taxed crazy here, and they would have to pay unionized workers with inflated salaries, so they go looking for somewhere cheaper. If the federal government would bring the corporate tax rate down, then there are right to work states in the United States that would appear attractive to these corporations. They would move back to the USA and hire people in those states.
It doesn't have a damn thing to do with taxes. It's has to with significantly cheaper wages and economies that are rapidly expanding. The workers in the United States simply are not cost competitive to workers in other countries. Keep in mind the Bush Tax Cuts have been in place since 2003 and this was still happening. Corporations are going where they can get the greatest return on their dollar and they've been doing this for the past 30 years and there isn't a damn thing you or the government can do about it.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:11 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,674,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
We could get rid of the outsourcing to China and India by implementing a fair system of taxation and fixing the problems with the unions. The corporations are outsourcing overseas because it's cheaper. They get taxed crazy here, and they would have to pay unionized workers with inflated salaries, so they go looking for somewhere cheaper. If the federal government would bring the corporate tax rate down, then there are right to work states in the United States that would appear attractive to these corporations. They would move back to the USA and hire people in those states.
On the other hand you could always go to India and land one of those jobs, it'd be an opportunity to show the world just how much you really understand the poor downtrodden corporate position on wages and competitive labor issues in general, Oh, I almost forgot, India and China are both hip to the greatness of 'right to work' laws, thereby making the likes of you too happy for words....

Old 11-08-2010, 01:41 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
On the other hand you could always go to India and land one of those jobs, it'd be an opportunity to show the world just how much you really understand the poor downtrodden corporate position on wages and competitive labor issues in general, Oh, I almost forgot, India and China are both hip to the greatness of 'right to work' laws, thereby making the likes of you too happy for words....
Yeah, when Obama speaks of creating new jobs, I think he means in India - where you can fight with the natives for a $10/hr job.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But what about the content of the post..that corporations are responsible for infrastructure ?

Corporations are the biggest beneficiaries of that infrastructure. In fact, corporations build that infrastructure with taxpayer supplied funding. They happily add it to their profits.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:10 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,299,020 times
Default Can we please put this MISINFORMATION to rest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
It would seem the OP is still marching and carrying out the orders of the WH talking points to
demonize corporations.

Why not pay attention to the mostly liberal policies that drove businesses overseas to begin with? Why not examing the 35% corporate tax that drove companies abroad and made the US the 3rd highest corparate taxed country in the West? Why not look at all the aother federal regulations imposed upon businessed by federal agencies?

It would seem that without addressing these items that the OP's only point is to sling hyperbole.
Regarding "the 35% corporate tax that drove companies abroad and made the US the 3rd highest corparate taxed country in the West" ... have you ever seen even one income tax return for a corporation? I have ... several ... and they all had something in common: ending up like they made little or no income after the accounting methods were tweaked (all legal) and the writeoffs were compiled. I worked for a big accounting firm (Big 6 back in the day) that handles taxes for corporations and wealthy individuals. There's this little thing called GAAP. The beauty of it is there are so many ways to report and figure out your income. Add that the the GENEROUS loopholes and write-offs of the U.S. income tax system and it equals magic (as in "Voila! You owe NO income taxes!"). When I worked in this field, I routinely saw corporations' and wealthy individuals' balance sheets set just so ... the debits equalled out to the credits in the end ... and they didn't have to pay any income tax because it looked like there was no profit and if there was profit they couldn't hide, the offshore "tax bases" helped them out greatly. If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Reuters.

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | Reuters

Unless there are significant changes in GAAP and significant reduction of loopholes, I wouldn't cry for the corporations if I were you because although they use misinformation about the waah waah "high corporate tax rate" they are still actually paying a lot less income tax than you or I do or absolutely NO income tax when it comes to actually writing out that check for dollars and cents.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
TARP and stimulus did more harm than the Bush cuts IMHO.
Bush was TARP's baby.

Old 11-08-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You realize it's not just money they are after; it's also skill.

US education is going down the tubes. Ideas that "everyone is equal" and "everyone can go to college" have lowered the bar such that our children are falling behind all other countries. The only way that "everyone can" is to lower the bar to the lowest common denominator which NCLB has done.

The US dropped out of the international math competitions for a reason.
Our labor costs are too high and are skill set is falling.
Not EVERYWHERE in the USA is public education failing. Sorry you perceive that happening in Texas, but the fact remains that there are 49 other states in this nation. Take a look at the public schools on Long Island, NY and what they are producing or those in Northern Virginia.

Old 11-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Regarding "the 35% corporate tax that drove companies abroad and made the US the 3rd highest corparate taxed country in the West" ... have you ever seen even one income tax return for a corporation? I have ... several ... and they all had something in common: ending up like they made little or no income after the accounting methods were tweaked (all legal) and the writeoffs were compiled. I worked for a big accounting firm (Big 6 back in the day) that handles taxes for corporations and wealthy individuals. There's this little thing called GAAP. The beauty of it is there are so many ways to report and figure out your income. Add that the the GENEROUS loopholes and write-offs of the U.S. income tax system and it equals magic (as in "Voila! You owe NO income taxes!"). When I worked in this field, I routinely saw corporations' and wealthy individuals' balance sheets set just so ... the debits equalled out to the credits in the end ... and they didn't have to pay any income tax because it looked like there was no profit and if there was profit they couldn't hide, the offshore "tax bases" helped them out greatly. If you don't believe me, maybe you'll believe Reuters.
Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | Reuters
Unless there are significant changes in GAAP and significant reduction of loopholes, I wouldn't cry for the corporations if I were you because although they use misinformation about the waah waah "high corporate tax rate" they are still actually paying a lot less income tax than you or I do or absolutely NO income tax when it comes to actually writing out that check for dollars and cents.
'Waah Waah Waah' - the piggies cried fraudulantly!!!

Old 11-15-2010, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Corporations are the biggest beneficiaries of that infrastructure. In fact, corporations build that infrastructure with taxpayer supplied funding. They happily add it to their profits.
Microsoft has built more IT infrastructure in India than it has in America.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Microsoft has built more IT infrastructure in India than it has in America.

And they've gladly added the proceeds of these Indian projects to their profit. The fact that India is adding more IT infrastructure than we are is telling. We just don't seem to be making much in America these days. We just act as a huge billing service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies