Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 04:56 AM

10,845 posts, read 14,990,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
Good for Walmart

what parent wants their (otherwise normal) kid to end up gay? or on drugs, a prostitute, etc?
parents say that they love their children no matter what, and thats true.
I just might have to go to Walmart and buy this book.
I don't shop WalMart but good for them for carrying the book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 06:18 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,505,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
When Walmart wouldn't carry CDs with the Explicit Lyrics warning label, the left shouted "censorship!" Now that Walmart is carrying a politically disfavored book, out come the voices on the left lambasting Walmart for failing to engage in censorship.

Make up your minds, would ya?
Choosing not to carry a book isn't censorship. Especially if the book is available through other companies like Amazon or Barnes & Noble.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:19 AM

Default e

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
They also preach 24.7 about tolerance and open-mindedness but openly show disregard and intolerance toward non-liberals. Is this really surprising? Not the least bit.
Yeah, because all liberals are the same.

I can't speak for everyone, but I never once mentioned shutting down the book production or anything to that effect. I merely said I was saddened by it.

How is that intolerance?

Old 10-10-2010, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
why let the facts get in the way?
whenever people actually mention HIV or other negative results surrounding homosexuality, gays don't want to hear it. They always claim discrimination
It's not that we don't want to hear it so much as all too often, those claiming HIV is more prevalent in the gay community seem to forget it's even more prevalent in the black community, and worldwide. And a much easier trend to see is that it's way more prevalent among men.

By that logic we have a lot of sinners on our hands: men, black people, entire chunks of the globe.

Trying to allude to some link between "the sin of homosexuality" and AIDS is a weak argument, that's all.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:33 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,256,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
It's not that we don't want to hear it so much as all too often, those claiming HIV is more prevalent in the gay community seem to forget it's even more prevalent in the black community, and worldwide. And a much easier trend to see is that it's way more prevalent among men.

By that logic we have a lot of sinners on our hands: men, black people, entire chunks of the globe.

Trying to allude to some link between "the sin of homosexuality" and AIDS is a weak argument, that's all.
Still, libs are offended by truth. If you said that black men or gay men have higher instances of AIDS in the media, or publically, you'd be called a bigot, despite being 100% true.

Why does the left fear truth so much?

White cats with blue eyes are much more likely to be deaf than white cats with non blue eyes...

It's FACT.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:55 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,435,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I am pro Gay rights but I could care less what kind of books Wal Mart sells since I am not there to buy books in the first place. Perhaps they should get out of the book selling business altogether since most people who shop there are only looking for a bargain on 54 rolls of toilet paper.
54 copies of this book might end up being cheaper than 54 rolls of toilet paper.

As long as there are no glossy photos it could be used for the same purpose.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:59 AM

5,412 posts, read 4,256,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
54 copies of this book might end up being cheaper than 54 rolls of toilet paper.

As long as there are no glossy photos it could be used for the same purpose.
Yet if you said that about Korans, liberals would say it's a hate crime an dyou belong in jail

Old 10-10-2010, 07:32 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,435,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
Yet if you said that about Korans, liberals would say it's a hate crime an dyou belong in jail
Non sequitur alert.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:14 AM

17,290 posts, read 29,492,049 times
Quote:
Still, libs are offended by truth. If you said that black men or gay men have higher instances of AIDS in the media, or publically, you'd be called a bigot, despite being 100% true.

White cats with blue eyes are much more likely to be deaf than white cats with non blue eyes...

It's FACT.

Maybe because it's never discussed by "social conservatives" in a positive, problem solving context, or in an academic context (social conservative academics is essentially an oxymoron), even when it has nothing to do with the topic being discussed.

Maybe because the statistics for HIV and homosexuals (gay men, because lesbians have the lowest STD rates of all populations) are irrelevantly thrown up in any conversation.

Hypothetical topic and thread posts, coming to a CD forum near you:

"Congress considers anti-sexual orientation discrimination law."

Guamanian: "Gays have the AIDS"

Generic social conservative: "+1 Guamanian! Gays are gross (except lesbians. They're cool because they affirm, rather than challenge or threaten, my shaky masculinity)."

Betamanlet: "The left are politically correct, and liberally attack those who point out AIDS statistics because they are intolerant liberals."

Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,234,364 times
Quote:

It's FACT.
It's not that people fear the truth--it's that they fear the complete lack of rational thought that's used to interpret data to justify discriminating against people.

AIDS is transmitted primarily through unprotected sex and IV drug use. You can have unprotected sex with just one person and still get the HIV/AIDS virus, but it's a matter of logic that your risk goes up with multiple sex partners. However, if it was just a matter of multiple sex partners, the rate of heterosexual transmission in this country would be off the charts. Have you been in a High School or on a college campus lately? When I was in college many years ago, one night stands were no big deal. Those attitudes haven't improved over time. Over half of 15-19 year olds in the US have had sex, and by the time they hit 17, it's 7 out of 10.

Facts on American Teens' Sexual and Reproductive Health

The vast majority of young people have sex out of marriage, and they have it with multiple partners. In cultures where, for whatever reason, there is a higher rate of unprotected sex, more people get AIDS. According to the data I cited, over 70% (female) and 90% (male) of American teens use condoms as their primary source of birth control. Because they use condoms for BIRTH CONTROL, as a side benefit, they have greater protection from contracting the AIDS/HIV virus. Gay males don't need to worry about birth control. If they use a condom, it is purely to reduce their risk factors for exposure to an STD. The logic that gay people somehow have looser morals than other men is nonsense--they are just less likely to use a condom because they have no risk of an unwanted pregnancy.

This is anecdotal, but I also think the notion that gay men are more promiscuous is a function of availability of a partner vs. some type of hyper sex drive. Have you ever spent much time around teenage boys? I have 5 sons--they play football and wrestle. As an involved mom, I spend lots of time with both teams, and I "accidentally overhear" conversations that sometimes shock me. Sex seems to be all these boys think about, and they seem to spend a vast majority of their time figuring out how to get various girls to have it. The girls are the gatekeepers. If they had a willing partner, I'm guessing that these boys would be (and some are) just as sexually active as their gay counterparts.

Transmission of AIDS/HIV is an entirely different picture in Africa--it is primarily through heterosexual contact. In fact, one out of three heterosexual adults in some African countries have the HIV virus now. Cultural factors play a huge part there too--condoms are simply unavailable, and men are expected to have multiple partners, even in marriage. They bring the virus home to their families.

HIV/AIDS in Africa - AIDS in Africa - HIV in Africa

The notion that the rates of HIV/AIDS transmission among gay males in this country is a function of their homosexuality is silly. HIV/AIDS transmission is a function of condom use. If you're going to use data to justify discriminating against an entire class of people in a society, I'd suggest you spend the time actually trying to interpret it in a logical way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies