Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2010, 12:47 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,221,687 times

Advertisements

Tom Ganley, a conservative Republican candidate for Ohio's 13th Congressional seat, has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman he met at a tea party rally. The woman met Ganley at his car dealership after she offered to volunteer for his campaign. You can read more details at the link below.

Lawsuit accuses Tom Ganley of sexual assault; his lawyer calls suit extortion | cleveland.com

One more seat the Dem's won't be losing in November....
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2010, 12:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times
Well can we at least call this one a teabagger?

Old 10-01-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'd laugh if I didn't feel so horrified by the whole thing. The article goes on to say "Ganley told her he wanted her to dominate her, parade her on a leash and have sex with her in front of his "play friends," the suit says." I'm not going into the rest of it (you can read the article and the legal complaint yourselves) but then it got physical.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:18 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,970,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
Tom Ganley, a conservative Republican candidate for Ohio's 13th Congressional seat, has been accused of sexually assaulting a woman he met at a tea party rally. The woman met Ganley at his car dealership after she offered to volunteer for his campaign. You can read more details at the link below.

Lawsuit accuses Tom Ganley of sexual assault; his lawyer calls suit extortion | cleveland.com

and of course you believe it and assume others will as well? Have you never heard of a set up? Look what is happening in Ca right now? None of us have any idea if this guy did anything wrong...

Nita

Old 10-01-2010, 03:30 PM

19,870 posts, read 12,162,307 times
Quote:
I'd laugh if I didn't feel so horrified by the whole thing. The article goes on to say "Ganley told her he wanted her to dominate her, parade her on a leash and have sex with her in front of his "play friends," the suit says." I'm not going into the rest of it (you can read the article and the legal complaint yourselves) but then it got physical.
This reminds me of the masseuse who accused Al Gore of being a "Crazed Sex Poodle".

Old 10-01-2010, 03:42 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,318,269 times
Quote:

The first thing that comes to my mind is why were no criminal charges sought or filed? Until this case is heard in court I'm going to withhold judgment.

It's highly unusual for no police report to be made and no charges filed in a legitimate sexual assault case.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:44 PM

The woman making the claims is a registered republican, and evidently has been for a long time. The events took place in 2009, and they've been in civil action over them for the past year. She's not just coming out with allegations this month. He's innocent until proven guilty, but her documentation (free repair on the car, documentation of emails etc.) seems to back up her story. She says she told friends about the incident immediately after it happened, and they urged her to contact an attorney last year, which she did. Those individuals could be called in under oath to testify. This doesn't sound like a set up job to me--sorry.

On the Meg Whitman thing--Gloria Allred says they have more proof that the Whitmans knew what was going on, and she'll release it if they don't tell the truth. That remains to be seen, but the next month should be pretty interesting.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The first thing that comes to my mind is why were no criminal charges sought or filed? Until this case is heard in court I'm going to withhold judgment.

It's highly unusual for no police report to be made and no charges filed in a legitimate sexual assault case.
Actually--that's absolutely not true at all. Sexual assault is one of the most under reported crimes there is. I've done some volunteer work with our local domestic violence/sexual assault program, and many victims never come forward, especially if the perp is someone who the victim thinks has more power than her. I'll be honest though--with no physical evidence it becomes he/said she said, and it's very hard to prosecute. My husband is an attorney--I asked him about this today. There was no physical evidence to collect since it didn't go to intercourse, and the victim reported the event long after evidence would have been viable. My husband said a prosecutor probably wouldn't take it as a criminal case, because they can't prove it happened beyond a reasonable doubt (criminal burden of proof) That's probably why her attorney told her to go the civil court route--the burden of proof isn't as high. An example would be the OJ Simpson criminal case (he was acquitted) vs. the civil case (he was found liable for wrongful death and had to pay damages).

Last edited by mb1547; 10-01-2010 at 04:02 PM..

Old 10-01-2010, 05:42 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
No not quite. She turned his teabag down. I could not help myself.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:20 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,686,628 times
"The lawsuit is the first public allegation made by the woman, who never told police of the August 2009 encounter with Ganley and still has not filed a police report."

Enough said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies