Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 07:04 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,050,068 times

Advertisements

As someone who grew up Catholic and as a left winger, this thread is completely nonsensical.

Really some of you guys seem to live in an alternate bizarro world.

There are left wing Christians, right wing Christians, gay Christians, and so many other kinds of Christians, it would be impossible to mention them all.

Some, like a number of my southern family members take their rituals more seriously, while I'm pretty much lax when it comes to that stuff.

But we all more or less get along with each other.

I have never seen or felt any anti-christian bias in the media.

What I do notice is that some fanatics try to push their own warped version of Christianity on others to further their own nefarious agendas.

But Christians, that is those that follow the example of Christ practice and preach, tolerance, understanding and charity.

Seriously some people need to get out more.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:31 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
Christianity has nothing to worry about. It's so ingrained into the culture and customs that it will never go away.

Old 09-19-2010, 07:47 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,194,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
I really don't see any evidence of widespread "Christianphobia."

Think about it - how many atheist politicians have been elected to national office?

Christianity and religious faith enjoys a very privileged position in American culture and society.
The christians like to resort to hyperbole.
In previous decades (in the US) christianity ruled and was not questioned. Since Reagan the christians have organized into politics and leave no doubt as to who they hate. There are many christian crackpots in the media. Lately, the christians have met resistance. Christians still are the vast majority in the US.
It's not a matter of 'christianphobia' but that they are riled because some people actually counter the christians. The christians may just as well say: we are authorized by god to determine what our society will do. How dare anyone question us christians.
Maybe if the christians did something they haven't yet done; follow the teachings of Jesus. There's a first time for everything.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:14 PM

46,976 posts, read 26,026,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Another myth of the left regarding the failure of Christians to "keep up" with science.

Collins: Why this scientist believes in God - CNN
The members of the Dover School Board might like a word.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:20 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,370,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Post all Christianphobia opinion news articles and TV segments here to expose the media's ignorance and hatred of a truly peaceful religion.
If by "mainstream media" you mean ABC, CBS, or NBC, I can't give any recent examples because none of these broadcasters have been in my home since 1984. However, the alphabet channels have more serious problems than just being Christianphobic. Years ago their news became untrustworthy and their programming so witless and boring that it only appealed to mouth-breathers.

I wouldn't worry that these guys have a fear of Christians. They should worry more about their own extinction.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:24 PM

785 posts, read 619,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
I can't even bring myself to respond to this nonsense haha. Make more sense and don't come off as trolling and I'll respond. You, sir or madam, are a prime example of the crazy fundamentalist Christians who give a bad name to decent Christians.

You won't, because you can't. This part is pivotal:

YOU:
Christians often are hypocritical, judgmental, distorted, and outright dishonest on these forums and elsewhere.
ME:
YOU did not denote a percentage less than the whole. You used the term CHRISTIANS and did not use a qualifier. Thus, you just slandered an entire group for the actions of a few. Care to address this, or are you not going to come down from your undeserved high horse?

Oh, for your information...I am an athiest. I stick up for Christians here because I do see them as treated far more negatively by the Left than the Left treats Muslims. Just sayin...

Oh, you try and insult me again, actually back it up, ok?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:25 PM

785 posts, read 619,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Christianity has nothing to worry about. It's so ingrained into the culture and customs that it will never go away.
so they should just accept bigoted treatment?

Old 09-19-2010, 08:32 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,266,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Perhaps you should put your reading comprehension skills to use and read my first message in this thread and then get back to me. It's also not a stereotype....it's fact that many Christians act in this manner. Keep reading these forums it's easy to see examples.
How many?

Anyone who takes what the nut jobs of any religion "believe in" or protest against or have issues with should get a little more specific when starting threads like "Christianity is evil" or "Christians and their issues" or "why do Christians not act Christian like?" Because they obviously aren't run of the mill/mainstream Christians. They tend to be a little over the top and align themselves with a certain "type" or "group" of Christianity that is also over the top. .

That's what pisses regular Christians off and why the defense goes up: the anti-crazy Christian people can't seem to discern from normal Christians and crazy Christians. And then ancient history gets brought up like those living in this century,or the previous, actually supported the horror or were around to join in.

Yet they're quick on their toes to defend the religion of Islam and separate out the crazies from the non crazies!

Quote:
Christians often are hypocritical, judgmental, distorted, and outright dishonest on these forums and elsewhere. Oh, I'm sure most current Christians who are playing the victim card are involved with some type of discrimination or holding down of another segment of society because of their religious beliefs.
You just proved my point.

Victim card? How about just being tired of hearing/watching your religion get trashed as a whole because SOME people have their panties all in a twist over ANYTHING Christian-ish b/c some nut jobs yank their chains?

It gets OLD and people need to shut up and sit down and figure out what they're so offended about. Is it the horrible ancient history they can't get over? Is it the present day crazy-Christian-fundies who by exercising their freedom of speech, right to assemble, right to protest who are so offensive in their beliefs/rights? And to who? Liberals who want them to go away and not be able to have a word to say? Trust me, it's not just libs or atheists who'd love for them to knock it off.

Quote:
I guess some Christians feel they don't need to be accountable for their actions or/and chose to ignore the bad deeds of fellow church goers.
I'm not accountable for the crazies - like the folks at the Westboro church. Why should I be? Should all "environmentalists" feel they should be accountable for the wayward groups of crazies who burn up car dealerships?

Quote:
It's sad because it gives the good Christians a bad name.
Only if you're obtuse enough to believe that line of BS.

Quote:
Once again I'd say that the current crop of fundamentalist Christians actions are high in the pecking order of what is wrong on a whole. Perhaps instead of taking up the victim role it would be more beneficial to clean up the Christians who give the whole group a bad name? Your post did give me a ton of chuckles though especially this last paragraph.
Oh, so NOW it's all about the Fundies? Clean up? Should Islam be all cleaned up and out too?

How would that work? How would you be ok with taking out/cleaning up the crazy faction of Christianity? How does one go about that? What's your suggestion? And how would you use that towards Islam? You know, given that their fundies are much more of a threat to your safety...unlike the crazy Christians who are such a huge threat to your "feelers".

Old 09-19-2010, 09:16 PM

37,149 posts, read 42,245,999 times
Christianity has brought it upon itself. People react to what's in front of them. If the reaction is negative there is only one reason for that.

It's just human nature.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:25 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,474,289 times
The only phobia I see these days is that of Islam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies