Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:21 PM

17,961 posts, read 15,036,093 times

Advertisements

I gotta tell ya, you know what my idea of a good time is?

Whatching a presidential address and then when its done, quickly switching back and forth between MSNBC and Fox. It's like a completely opposite universe.

(And God, I just realized how old I am ... my idea of a good time use to be some, no, A LOT of Cuervo followed by a 5am breakfast of Moons over My Hammy at Dennys. Now it's O'Reilly & Maddow. Wow I'm boring.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 12:23 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,489,632 times
That's "Howling" to you? Coming from someone addicted to Glenn Beck?

My g-d, that's downright reasoned compared to the screeching and howling coming from the "Right". Get some perspective!

Besides which, she was dead-on right. George W. Bush didn't give one flip about our nation's security, or he never would have left Osama bin Laden in those caves at Tora Bora to go fight a war of choice to avenge his daddy in a country that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE ATTACKS ON 9/11!

Old 09-01-2010, 12:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,461,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill61 View Post

My g-d, that's downright reasoned compared to the screeching and howling coming from the "Right". Get some perspective!

Besides which, she was dead-on right. George W. Bush didn't give one flip about our nation's security, or he never would have left Osama bin Laden in those caves at Tora Bora to go fight a war of choice to avenge his daddy in a country that had NOTHING WHATSOEVER TO DO WITH THE ATTACKS ON 9/11!
I see that you know very little about being on the offensive in an area like Tora Bora. Anyone who knows anything military, not political, knows that the numbers of troops that would have been lost in fighting where the enemy knows the lay of every bit of the land and has the advantage of determining what the fields of fire will be has a severe advantage. Try reading up on how many troops were lost trying to dig the Japanese out of the caves on some Pacific islands and they were allowed to use flame throwers like we can't use since the use of napalm in Vietnam.

Seriously, take some time to study some military planning problems.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,254,177 times
Quote:

George W. Bush didn't give a flip about our nation's security? Just. Wow.

Old 09-01-2010, 12:42 PM

5,340 posts, read 6,570,647 times
Quote:
I do believe it was CLINTON that had the first swing & miss

Clinton Let Bin Laden Slip Away and Metastasize

From 1996 to 1998, I opened unofficial channels between Sudan and the Clinton administration. I met with officials in both countries, including Clinton, U.S. National Security Advisor Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger and Sudan's president and intelligence chief. President Omar Hassan Ahmed Bashir, who wanted terrorism sanctions against Sudan lifted, offered the arrest and extradition of Bin Laden and detailed intelligence data about the global networks constructed by Egypt's Islamic Jihad, Iran's Hezbollah and the Palestinian Hamas.

When Democrats use conservative language to promote their agenda, it ultimately creates more support for Republicans.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:37 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,489,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

I see that you know very little about being on the offensive in an area like Tora Bora. Anyone who knows anything military, not political, knows that the numbers of troops that would have been lost in fighting where the enemy knows the lay of every bit of the land and has the advantage of determining what the fields of fire will be has a severe advantage. Try reading up on how many troops were lost trying to dig the Japanese out of the caves on some Pacific islands and they were allowed to use flame throwers like we can't use since the use of napalm in Vietnam.

Seriously, take some time to study some military planning problems.
I call you on your characterization of Dr. Maddow supposedly "howling", and this is the only part of my post you choose to pull out of context and respond to?

Not to mention, you're just simply wrong. We were successfully fighting, advancing and beating AQ in those mountains until some here-to-fore unnamed "official" refused the request of former Delta Force Commander "Dalton Fury", to assault bin Laden's position from the rear, as was his next request to drop GATOR mines in the passages leading out of Tora Bora, which is exactly how bin Laden was able to escape!

Stop pretending you know more about military operations than the Special Ops guy who was actually in there fighting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

For exactly the reasons I've outlined, no, he did not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouser View Post

I do believe it was CLINTON that had the first swing & miss

From 1996 to 1998, I opened unofficial channels between Sudan and the Clinton administration. I met with officials in both countries, including Clinton, U.S. National Security Advisor Samuel R. "Sandy" Berger and Sudan's president and intelligence chief. President Omar Hassan Ahmed Bashir, who wanted terrorism sanctions against Sudan lifted, offered the arrest and extradition of Bin Laden and detailed intelligence data about the global networks constructed by Egypt's Islamic Jihad, Iran's Hezbollah and the Palestinian Hamas.

When Democrats use conservative language to promote their agenda, it ultimately creates more support for Republicans.
Holy crap, I cannot believe you are invoking the "but Clinton" argument! And with false information, no less!

"So on one side, we have Clinton administration officials who say that there were no credible offers on the table, and on the other, we have claims by a Sudanese government that was (and still is) listed as an official state sponsor of terrorism. It’s possible, of course, that both sides are telling the truth: It could be that Erwa did make an offer, but the offer was completely disingenuous. What is clear is that the 9/11 Commission report totally discounts the Sudanese claims. Unless further evidence arises, that has to be the final word.

Ultimately, however, it doesn’t matter.
What is not in dispute at all is the fact that, in early 1996, American officials regarded Osama bin Laden as a financier of terrorism and not as a mastermind largely because, at the time, there was no real evidence that bin Laden had harmed American citizens. So even if the Sudanese government really did offer to hand bin Laden over, the U.S. would have had no grounds for detaining him. In fact, the Justice Department did not secure an indictment against bin Laden until 1998 – at which point Clinton did order a cruise missile attack on an al Qaeda camp in an attempt to kill bin Laden."

FactCheck.org: Did Bill Clinton pass up a chance to kill Osama bin Laden? (http://www.factcheck.org/askfactcheck/did_bill_clinton_pass_up_a_chance_1.html - broken link)

So with all the false and idiotic claims by rightwingers who cannot find a single credible way to defend George W. Bush's actions in his war of aggression, is it any wonder that a brilliant political commentator such as Rachel Maddow (who, ftr, is a Rhodes Scholar who earned a Doctorate degree from Oxford University), would call out the current president for basically giving a pass to the perpetrator of the entire debacle?

No.

And she wasn't "howling".

Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,461,886 times
I didn't listen to one part of Obama's speech

Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,264,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Well considering the unavoidable fact that our nation had the worst terrorist attack on its soil in history on his watch, I'd say that was about right.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:47 PM

20,696 posts, read 12,645,910 times
Quote:

Exactly! Obama was being to kind.

Old 09-01-2010, 01:49 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,912,256 times
Rachel Maddow is a man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies