Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 01:25 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimithing78 View Post
I didn't read through all 7 pages but I don't see why this is shocking. As a Christian school I think they have to send a message that they don't believe in same sex parents. If they were to accept the child then they would be condoning the parents behavior.

It's unfortunate that the child is being caught up in this. I'm sure the couple partially wants to bring this to national attention in an effort to gain equality but as good parents they also have to be thinking they shouldn't be putting their child in the middle of this.
They shouldn't teach their kid to stand up for what she thinks is right? Or call attention to what she thinks is wrong? I think that parents should lead by example in these cases.

However, there is no evidence in this article that the parents were the ones who wanted to bring this to national attention.

Old 08-30-2010, 01:32 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,956,590 times
As a Christian school they are an embarrassment to shun any innocent child and to make a mockery of kind and loving lesbian parents. This is 2010. The age of The Puritans and Calvin is over with. It's long gone. This absurd religious school is holding onto antiquated and stupid scripture that have been constantly discredited by science and sociology. Even for a redneck small town like Bedford that is just not a sophisticated decision.

Quote:
I didn't read through all 7 pages but I don't see why this is shocking. As a Christian school I think they have to send a message that they don't believe in same sex parents. If they were to accept the child then they would be condoning the parents behavior.

It's unfortunate that the child is being caught up in this. I'm sure the couple partially wants to bring this to national attention in an effort to gain equality but as good parents they also have to be thinking they shouldn't be putting their child in the middle of this.

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-30-2010 at 01:56 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 02:01 PM

18 posts, read 37,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tellothers View Post
What kind of comparison is that LAnative? Is foster parenting better than two bad heterosexual parents? is foster parenting better than gay parenting? Let's be honest here. The child needs to have both male and female parent models in their lives. But given a bad situation like you presented, I don't think gay parenting is better than foster parenting. Adults have the choiice to be gay or straight. It is not right when you force such a lifestyle on a kid. Show some compassion for the kid. Save our kids the depravity and political correctness.
Wow...you're an idiot.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:02 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
As a Christian school they are an embarrassment to shun any innocent child and to make a mockery of kind and loving lesbian parents. This is 2010. The age of The Puritans and Calvin is over with. It's long gone. This absurd religious school is holding onto antiquated and stupid scripture that have been constantly discredited by science and sociology.

How are they making a mockery of the parents? If you read the article the school has previously denied entrance for a child in similar circumstances and they've also fired one of their teachers for becoming pregnant out of wedlock. Why? Because they have a set of beliefs based on their interpretation of the Bible. That's not a mockery, that's their right as a private school to stand up for their beliefs.

If the parents had done research on this school they would have known it was a fairly conservative school. If they want a Christian school that is more accepting of their lifestyle all they have to do is look around a little.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:25 PM

I believe conservativism based on middle-eastern myths to be a mockery of our modern society. It is biased, hostile, and discriminatory. At the end of the day it is destructive and it further divides people into groups (i.e., us versus them.) It teaches hypocrisy. It's a terrible system and it stands out like a sore thumb in our modern day society.

Quote:
How are they making a mockery of the parents? If you read the article the school has previously denied entrance for a child in similar circumstances and they've also fired one of their teachers for becoming pregnant out of wedlock. Why? Because they have a set of beliefs based on their interpretation of the Bible. That's not a mockery, that's their right as a private school to stand up for their beliefs.

If the parents had done research on this school they would have known it was a fairly conservative school. If they want a Christian school that is more accepting of their lifestyle all they have to do is look around a little.

Last edited by artsyguy; 08-30-2010 at 02:34 PM..

Old 08-30-2010, 02:45 PM

217 posts, read 1,045,936 times
Quote:
I believe conservativism based on middle-eastern myths to be a mockery of our modern society. It is biased, hostile, and discriminatory. At the end of the day it is destructive and it further divides people into groups (i.e., us versus them.) It teaches hypocrisy. It's a terrible system and it stands out like a sore thumb in our modern day society.

By "middle eastern myths" I presume you mean belief in God and Christianity? Keep in mind that these parents chose to enroll their child in this school. You opinion on the validity of these people's faith has nothing to do with whether or not this school has the right to choose who can be enrolled in the school.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:10 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridethetrain View Post
Rakin - I agree that this is a very difficult topic and deserves understanding from people. But in our zeal for understanding and empathy, we can become emotionally and be misleading. Exodus International is a good ministry in this area. IT'S NOT THE SOLUTION FOR EVERYONE but has helped some out in sorting through these issues. Exodus International - Home
That would only be necessary if there was something wrong with being gay, but there isn't.

The school is a private conservative Christian school. They should not be forced to accept anyone and I cant imagine that anyone would think that a school like that would accept that lifestyle. It would be akin to a Jewish Rabbi trying to gain member ship to a neo-Nazi organization.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:11 PM

200 posts, read 548,432 times
Quote:
I would actually support gay marriage because I don't like government intervention on private affairs. But at the same time I believe a private school has the rights to set its own rules. This is not about conservative or liberal, this is about liberty and freedom from government intervention on private matters.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:13 PM

This is about serving members of the public equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjc281 View Post
I would actually support gay marriage because I don't like government intervention on private affairs. But at the same time I believe a private school has the rights to set its own rules. This is not about conservative or liberal, this is about liberty and freedom from government intervention on private matters.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:40 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
This is about serving members of the public equally.
As much as I hate to say it, this is about a private school that is tied to a church. They do have the right to accept who they want. I believe in the seperation of church and state, so I dont feel the government should intervene. It sucks what happend, I wish the whole homophobia thing would just die.

To me it has always been strange that we (as a country) dont flinch when we drop bombs on other nations that kill innocent people along with out intended targets, but when two people of the same sex want to committ to each other, somehow its an attrocity.

I cant imagine the women wanting to send their kid there. My wife and I would never send our kid to a school that conservative and we are a traditional marriage. Again, it would be like a black man trying to enroll in the KKK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.