Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 05:20 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,456,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
They have a right to do what they want with their property, it's just that the property is in the wrong place? That makes no sense.

Saying "You give up your rights, bend to our will and in return we won't hate you quite as much" isn't a compromise, it's demanding surrender. You don't give in to bullies, you stand your ground.

The majority will rarely vote to protect the minority. Doesn't make them right.
I don't think anyone I've seen or heard said they don't have a right to do what they want with their property, if they have, and it's a common source, please provide that evidence. If it's legal to protest a soldiers funeral it's legal to also protest this mosque.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
First they protested that the location was in the foot print of the world trade center and when they found out it was 2 blocks away they came up with another reason. If they moved to the building next door then there wouldn't be a problem or would there be another reason? That sounds like an excuse more than a reason. I would be willing to bet that the people didn't even know that a part of a plane hit the building when they started protesting but now that is their criteria.

There is already a mosque that is 4 blocks away and that has never been an issue but even if you are 2 blocks away in the city is remote.
And for the crash of the Flight 93 the government confiscated 1200 acres for a memorial... 2 blocks isn't ground zero? A building struck by the landing gear of one of the planes is so far off distant place hardly even associated with 9/11?

And I've lived in "the city" and two blocks is about 2 minutes away, walking. Flying a plane, it's virtually milliseconds...

Old 08-27-2010, 05:49 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And for the crash of the Flight 93 the government confiscated 1200 acres for a memorial... 2 blocks isn't ground zero? A building struck by the landing gear of one of the planes is so far off distant place hardly even associated with 9/11?

And I've lived in "the city" and two blocks is about 2 minutes away, walking. Flying a plane, it's virtually milliseconds...
So what is the desired Muslim-free zone? Round numbers will do.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:52 PM

Any building not directly related to 9/11? If Timothy McVeigh had the money, would you think it be cool that he replace that federal building with a Church? What about Moderate Christians? Moderate Jews?

Old 08-27-2010, 06:37 PM

46,946 posts, read 25,976,294 times
Quote:
If Timothy McVeigh had the money, would you think it be cool that he replace that federal building with a Church?
Did you just assign to all Muslims the same amount of responsibility for 9/11 as Timothy McVeigh had for the OKC bombing? Obviously, that is not the case. The comparison is, frankly, ludicrous.

If a YMCA were to open within sight of the Murray building site, nobody would bat an eyelid, and you know it.

(Of course, if you have reliable intel that any of the people behind the Park51 project are behind 9/11, I take it you've informed the FBI.)

Old 08-27-2010, 07:31 PM

57,248 posts, read 26,186,773 times
Quote:

You can't possibly compare a farm field to downtown Manhattan go stand on Park Place and tell me that its too close to the monument. So what is a reasonable distance? If they moved across the street to a building that didn't have an airplane part hit that would be as solution? Sorry I just don't see these requests as reasonable unless those questions can be answered.

Old 08-28-2010, 01:51 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,341,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I remember that one. An assortment of righties went completely nutso that Kagan's department head had accepted a $20 million donation - because that was a clear indication that Kagan wanted to introduce Sharia law. (I am not making this up.)
We really need to grab a beer when I get over there.

Old 06-20-2015, 11:58 AM

3 posts, read 1,466 times
Upton your so RIGHT!!!

Old 06-20-2015, 12:15 PM

19,835 posts, read 12,094,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angalamous View Post
Upton your so RIGHT!!!
Why are you digging up a 5 yr. old zombie thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies