Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 08:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times

Advertisements

"Antibiotics are a bedrock of modern medicine. But in the very near future, we're going to have to learn to live without them once again. And it's going to get nasty".

Are you ready for a world without antibiotics? | Society | The Guardian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 08:56 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,445,519 times
Isn't it interesting that they keep prescribing antibiotics all willy nilly........ still!
People just need to not fill the prescriptions and not to take them if they truly dont need it. We have become pill poppers at the slightest ache or sniffle!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:58 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
yeah,I don't use any drugs ever,any pain killer I ever got was never used but put in a drawer for an emergency only to be thrown out eventually,antibiotics get the same treatment. the drug companies and kickback loving doctors who are not really doctors but prescription writers got us where we are, glad i did not participate

Old 08-17-2010, 08:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
this has been coming for a long time, what with people demanding that doctors give them antibiotics for a cold, or any other time they fall ill. too much over use of antibiotics has caused this.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:07 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Remember that drug companies make their money off sick people, chronic sick people.
They don't make money if you don't take drugs and these days they have a drug for anything and everything.

There is a time and place for drugs but overuse is not to OUR best advantage.
Just look at what happened with Penicillin. At one time it was the miracle cure-all.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:12 PM

860 posts, read 2,056,144 times
It's been 10 years since I've used antibiotics (for pnemonia). Before that, I can't remember. I can always take care of any infections with herbs and garlic but I think this emphasizes the importance of staying healthy, eating right and keeping your immune system strong.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:18 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
If antibiotics are terminated, they will be replaced by a new and better product.

I've used antibiotics a few times the past decade, and they've always worked fine.

I don't doubt that bacteria mutate in response to improvement in drugs. I also have little concerns about the long term outlook, and believe that the understanding we gain through efforts such as the genome projects will lead to even better ways to combat bacteria.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:19 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,930,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
Isn't it interesting that they keep prescribing antibiotics all willy nilly........ still!
People just need to not fill the prescriptions and not to take them if they truly dont need it. We have become pill poppers at the slightest ache or sniffle!
Years ago (more than 15) I worked at a Dr.'s office that serviced almost exclusively Medicare, Medicaid and HMO patients.

The HMO participants, for the most part, would bring their children in at the first sign of a sniffle and demand antibiotics. One of the physicians I worked with was elderly and old fashioned. He rarely prescribed anti-biotics and often sent parents with children having sore throats but no severe fever home with instructions to gargle with salt water, drink plenty of fluids, stay quiet, etc... . Parents had a fit and actually approached the insurance corporation that owned the office at the time (yes, you read that correctly) to request the Dr. be fired because he wouldn't send their children home with antibiotics.

This mess is of our own creation. A society of chemical remidies for whatever ails you.

Think about all those medications people in large cities are taking. Realize that much of that residual medication leaves the body in the form of urine. In cities that uring is collected in a sewer system and heads to a treatment center for recycling. Problem is those medications are never completely removed and eventually make it right back into the water we all drink from the tap.

In otherwords, even if you or I have been responsible patients and don't pop pills, even when recommended, we may still be getting a dose of them from those who do; thus, further contributing to the resistance factor and evolution of "super bugs".

Something similar is happening in farming where there are "superweeds" that have become resistant to chemical herbacides like Round-up. Seed companies like Monsanto have even developed "Round-up ready" seeds so that farmers can spray these herbacides directly on the crops.

How's that for a warm fuzzy? Enjoy that glass of water and those corn chips before you go to bed.

One the positive side. Obamacare might cost future generations a whole lot less.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:26 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,028,546 times
Years ago my daughter was sick with something like the flu, so i picked up some over the counter medicine on the way home, read the back of the box and threw it away and made her a nice bowl of chicken noodle soup. all was good after that

Old 08-17-2010, 09:35 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
When I take my daughter to the doctor because I think she may have strep they do a culture and try to give me a prescription and I tell them no when you get the results call me and if need be call it in. They are way to free with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies