Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2010, 09:20 AM

105 posts, read 213,984 times

Advertisements

• Do you (with or against) the last leaks that wikileaks published on its website?
• Do you believe in all what was documented in this website?
• How far these leaks will affect on situation on the ground in Afghanistan "in your opinion"?
• Does transparency means that the governments obliged to publish anything even it will affect the national security?
• Does the freedom of the press allow the media to penetrate or publish any secret documents?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 12:37 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,685,475 times
I was wondering when some one was going to get to this. I have to run off to work right now and I only have time to say...

This was wrong. People were/are put at risk of their lives and it was just wrong, pure and simple.

Wikieleaks was sloppy and miss managed in this that I know of, I'm not sure about the rest of what they publish. However, I think they should loose their web site and not be allowed to publish anything else.

I choose FAS web site as they wait for the documents to go the the proper channels before they are released to the public. Steven Aftergood does an excellent job of informing the public what they need to know going through proper FOI channels.

PS: Wikieleaks messed up!

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 07-31-2010 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 07-31-2010, 01:37 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,910,149 times
Take a look at where I'm writing this from. The only thing I ever mention is the heat.Any thing else is pretty much covered by OPSEC. You sign a document saying you will abide by the contract and keep your durn mouth shut about National matters. Plus, they can put you in jail for life. WHen I worked at NORAD, I signed a document that said I could not say anything about my job, or related to NORAD for 75 years.

Punishment by life imprisonment or DEATH.

You have a chain of command. You have options. You have the right to bring up something you see as being wrong. I have. I sent a guy to prison for fraud, waste and abuse before. Well, >> I << didnt' send him to prison. He sent himself to prison. I just reported him. Our tax dollars pay for our military. He was stealing your money and mine. That's not fair, and it certainly doesn't show "true military values."

THis fellow who shared national secrets with a complete stranger disregarded all of that.

Operations security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operations security (OPSEC) is a process that identifies critical information to determine if friendly actions can be observed by adversary intelligence systems, determines if information obtained by adversaries could be interpreted to be useful to them, and then executes selected measures that eliminate or reduce adversary exploitation of friendly critical information.

Old 07-31-2010, 01:46 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,334,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.E.O View Post
• Do you (with or against) the last leaks that wikileaks published on its website?
• Do you believe in all what was documented in this website?
• How far these leaks will affect on situation on the ground in Afghanistan "in your opinion"?
• Does transparency means that the governments obliged to publish anything even it will affect the national security?
• Does the freedom of the press allow the media to penetrate or publish any secret documents?

1) AGAINST
2) I believe nothing anymore from these TRAITORS
3) It will put American lives in danger
4) NO
5) NO, and if lives are lost because if this treason,
the people 'responsible' should be prosecuted

Old 08-01-2010, 11:27 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,685,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Take a look at where I'm writing this from. The only thing I ever mention is the heat.Any thing else is pretty much covered by OPSEC. You sign a document saying you will abide by the contract and keep your durn mouth shut about National matters. Plus, they can put you in jail for life. WHen I worked at NORAD, I signed a document that said I could not say anything about my job, or related to NORAD for 75 years.

Punishment by life imprisonment or DEATH.

You have a chain of command. You have options. You have the right to bring up something you see as being wrong. I have. I sent a guy to prison for fraud, waste and abuse before. Well, >> I << didnt' send him to prison. He sent himself to prison. I just reported him. Our tax dollars pay for our military. He was stealing your money and mine. That's not fair, and it certainly doesn't show "true military values."

THis fellow who shared national secrets with a complete stranger disregarded all of that.

Operations security - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Operations security (OPSEC) is a process that identifies critical information to determine if friendly actions can be observed by adversary intelligence systems, determines if information obtained by adversaries could be interpreted to be useful to them, and then executes selected measures that eliminate or reduce adversary exploitation of friendly critical information.
Hello, yes I see where you are posting from. My son went over in 2007 and something was said about the security issues and his ability to phone home. I did find unclassified documents (fas.org) as to the rule that was being placed on our soldiers and communications. It's been long time since I read and thought about it, but I believe it is the 1st sergeant who is to grant or deny phone privileges and Internet usage.

While I thought that sucked, I also knew that there are those who, would not know what a secret is or isn't in these times. Many would trust in their family members and what does it matter if I tell, maybe their reasoning.

I heard about this story late night on LPB, "Need to Know" program. Need To Know | PBS
Quote:
Jon Meacham speaks with blogger and military analyst Joshua Foust about the eternal tension between transparency and security
Apparently I wasn't wrong in my assumptions about what some would or could understand that should be kept private and secure.

The documents that were sent were raw data of meetings and names. Even if the names had been removed the danger in the knowing where the meetings are held, the routes they take to get to these meetings, all of that falling into the wrong hands puts people's life at risk.

That would be like me asking you for the internal architecture design of NORAD and you providing me with that information. One I should never ask you and two you should never give it out; reasons being common sense on both our parts.

Damage control...they're going to need some.

Something was said about this instance being compared to the release of the pentagon papers during the Vietnam war. I'd have to brush up on my history in order to make a comment. However, I do not believe this situation isn't any where near a 'whistle blowing' incident. One the pentagon were more about the efficiency of our government; what this young man did was, he gave out ground movement of troops within time of war.

This young man is not covering the backs of those with him. This is so wrong on so many levels by all parties involved, it makes me angry.

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 08-01-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: should read before i post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies