Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 07:25 AM

4,897 posts, read 8,359,227 times

Advertisements

This move is frustrating and I'm totally against it. It just goes to show that when we willingly trade away a small amount of civil liberties (Patriot Act, etc...) they'll just keep taking more and more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2010, 07:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,181,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
This move is frustrating and I'm totally against it. It just goes to show that when we willingly trade away a small amount of civil liberties (Patriot Act, etc...) they'll just keep taking more and more.
Not obama! Not obama!

Not when obama spent all that time vilifying the Bush admin for much, much less an offense.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:28 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,167,860 times
Dont expect much from the media or the libs on this. What can they say after they spent years bashing Bush for the patriot Act? Obama has continued all these intrusive practices and then some, and now the media and libs dont have any problems with it. go figure.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:54 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,236,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Not obama! Not obama!

Not when obama spent all that time vilifying the Bush admin for much, much less an offense.
Maybe everyone has seen this, but it was a little disturbing to me. Seems that a lot of information is already being gather without a warrant.

Exclusive: Google, CIA Invest in ‘Future’ of Web Monitoring | Danger Room | Wired.com

Exclusive: U.S. Spies Buy Stake in Firm That Monitors Blogs, Tweets | Danger Room | Wired.com

Doesn't take a genius to connect the dots from computer sales right to your physical address.

Guess I'd better be a little nicer when I write about Obama or suffer the wrath of his goons.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:54 AM

23,859 posts, read 17,545,002 times
Default "..and this be the verse you grave' for me...."

If the media doesn't jump on this one, they will have abdicated their role in our republic as our watchdogs and henceforth be relegated to the role of government lap dog.

This will be our official notification that the media has died in the effort to sacrifice its soul to curry political favor.

We are alone!

Furthermore, note that Obama's words are meaningless and have no bearing on the predictability of his future behavior. His words constitute an instrumental performance and morph into meaningless melodic sounds.

Add this to his long list of reversals that include
as senator.....'need to take the time to read the legislation'
"will never use the nuclear option to pass healthcare because i wouldn't be able to govern"
"no drilling for oil off the coast"
" healthcare is not a tax" oops latest argument before the court claims "healtcare is a tax"
etc, etc

Old 07-30-2010, 08:01 AM

5,036 posts, read 5,167,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
If the media doesn't jump on this one, they will have abdicated their role in our republic as our watchdogs and henceforth be relegated to the role of government lap dog.

This will be our official notification that the media has died in the effort to sacrifice its soul to curry political favor.

We are alone!

Furthermore, note that Obama's words are meaningless and have no bearing on the predictability of his future behavior. His words constitute an instrumental performance and morph into meaningless melodic sounds.

Add this to his long list of reversals that include
as senator.....'need to take the time to read the legislation'
"will never use the nuclear option to pass healthcare because i wouldn't be able to govern"
"no drilling for oil off the coast"
" healthcare is not a tax" oops latest argument before the court claims "healtcare is a tax"
etc, etc
Sorry, but the media abandoned their roles as serving as watchdogs to the American people a long time ago. The majority of the media basically serve this administration and others who share the same agenda.
Notice they also ignored the recent revelation that the SEC will no longer have to abide by the Freedom of Information Act.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:36 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,812,214 times
And if it had been Bush who did this, the Obama-haters would be praising the move.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:23 PM

13,053 posts, read 13,019,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
And if it had been Bush who did this, the Obama-haters would be praising the move.
Sorry there 10 second Tom, but that is pure fantasy on your part. I remember during the Patriot Act issue many conservatives here who were complaining about it.

I didn't, but then I read it in full and there were a lot of complaints about issues that didn't exist. The main contention was the tapping without a warrant, but this was a very specific issue and was only allowed when there was an immediate threat to which taking the time to get a warrant would endanger the public. Even then, they were required after they had done so to have a judge review their actions to insure there was no misconduct.

I haven't read the details on this one, so I have no opinion as of yet, but to claim people were sheep just nodding approval of Bush is pure BS. That is, unless you would like to go back to those discussions and link to all these claims about them approving simply because it was Bush?

Sorry, but the sheep syndrome is a condition of your group mostly.

Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,392,832 times
Any administration in this day and age would have done it.

From the article:

"Stewart A. Baker, a former senior Bush administration Homeland Security official, said the proposed change would broaden the bureau's authority. "

Exactly. Former Homeland security official. Broaden bureau's authority (the authority was already set in place). This stuff has been going on for awhile now. Ok?

Old 07-30-2010, 07:40 PM

2,125 posts, read 2,392,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Bush and Obama are both implicit in all of this. As they should be as leaders of an increasingly hyper-digital society. A lot of crucial actions occur online and if people think that they can hop on the internet and post "freely and anonymously" and not be monitored they are sadly mistaken. People use their FREE Facebook account and expect to be protected. People anonymously post all their gripes and expect no consequences. America's chokehold on the whole notion of "freedom of speech" has a lot of people living dangerously delusional notions of what it means to also be responsible for their own words when they communicate. We are not that anonymous. And yes, you can probably expect to be monitored. And these days the monitoring is probably easy compared to what the next generations will go through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies