Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 06:24 PM

467 posts, read 325,461 times

Advertisements

Just thought it would be interesting to ask you to scratch the surface of your belief system and put it into words.

I'll start: I get this question a lot as a military spouse and I usually respond with this...

I grew up in a very traditional southern baptist family and considered myself to be a "Republican" until I was in high school and started paying attention to the news and what the Republican party represented - more to the point - who supported them.

I am a Democrat because I can support a party that is funded by ORGANIZATIONS seeking to protect the rights of man. I see the Republican party as a wholly owned subsidiary of COMPANIES. I could be totally wrong, but I don't ever see the abortion/gays/guns debates going away because then what would get the "base" of the Republican party to the polls? Imagine if abortion was outlawed, gays were sent to live in another country, and everyone owned a gun. Quite a utopia for some of you, I know, but what would motivate the Republican right wing theocracy to vote?

Just my opinion and I'm sure many of you vehemently disagree - bring it on.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:36 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
As someone who was very active in the republican party, I can tell you the whole abortion homos guns thing is more of a wedge issue for the democrats to stir up their base than it is for the republicans, I vote republican because I am a conservative,small business, low taxes, smaller govt, big military, for privatization.That & I dont belong to any of the fractured one issue self interest groups that make up the democrat party. In fact if you were to look at the people in elected office you will find more republicans with wider ranging views on the three issues you mentioned than democrats by far! how many democrats for president are pro life?

Old 06-23-2007, 06:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
Neither, I object to the Republican party for their positions concerning limiting science and interfering with interpersonal relationships.

I object to the Democrats trying to insulate and equalize society to the point of ruining the incentives built into the free market and optimizing economic output.

Both interfere, or would like to, equally with individual liberties.

But seriously for a minute, I'll give you a brief insight as to why I identify with neither party. I have a severely handicapped child. Nobody is against the handicapped, right?

The Republicans pay lip service to the handicapped but keep cutting funding to their programs. The Democrats expand the umbrella of who qualifies for funding and completely water down my child's programs.

And that is a summary of why I identify with neither, and vote for the individuals.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:49 PM

I think EVERYONE is pro life. How many also want a woman to have a choice? I hope anyone of them who wants a chance at the ticket. I also think it has been fairly well established that the "pro-life" position in the Republican party ends in-utero. Once that baby is born they want no part in housing it, feeding it, educating it, protecting it, and should it commit a horrible crime - kill it, that is fine. I'm sure there are many views on each of those issues, but overall - that is the consensus.

I agree those are wedge issues and they do cut both ways to an extent, but I believe they apply far more strongly to your side than mine. I can't think of one of my friends who goes out to vote based on gays, guns, and god.

I just always find it strange to hear people espouse smaller government or limited government involvement and then want to dictate what a woman can do with her body or who can marry whom.

How do you get a smaller government and bigger military? How does that work? Also, privatization of WHAT - everything? Education? Do you think the health care system is working fantastically? If so, you must have insurance. Are you spending a bundle on it? I have had socialized medicine for the past 18 years and I can tell you that it works well for the President and military - it can work for all Americans. I think people should have a choice. Those who want to spend tons on insurance - do it. Those who don't or can't should be able to get medication and service as easily and appropriately as I and my children do.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:53 PM

Silas and New:
I'm new to this forum and I'm finding I really enjoy it because I'm trying to absorb as much "other side" opinion as possible and maybe learn something in the process. Thank you both for such interesting posts.

Old 06-23-2007, 06:59 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Registered Independent ... which means I'm allowed to have an original thought.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:02 PM

Or, rather, that you don't have to take a side...

Old 06-23-2007, 07:05 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,429,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toninole View Post
Or, rather, that you don't have to take a side...
Currently neither side is worth taking ... both are out of touch with the people.

Old 06-23-2007, 07:24 PM

9,892 posts, read 10,830,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davart View Post
Currently neither side is worth taking ... both are out of touch with the people.
Well Davart, one of three things is going to happen to who ever you vote for, 1) they will sit on the republican side of the aisle,2) they will sit on the democrat side of the aisle,3) they wont be elected. Like it or not your vote one way or another will determine which of the TWO partys are in control!

Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,231,902 times
Amen Silas, at the end of the day it comes down to the votes and the parties. I kind of like a divided Govt, probably works best that way. Make them craft legislation that can pass muster on both sides, with appropriate compromises. As the parties power ebb and flow, they can draft new legislation to "fix" the old stuff.

Works for me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies