Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,416,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
There are SO many issues that affect gays besides marriage. Yes, there are some disappointments, but Obama has easily been the most pro-gay President we've ever had, and is certainly better than McCain would have been.
How has he been pro-gay?

Name one piece of legislation he has put forth that has made my life better...so far all he has done is jack up my taxes several different ways and threaten to ruin my career.

Still waiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,720,980 times
Another gay "Conservative" "Republican" living a lie. He was obviously never Conservative, and should have just followed his heart to the Democrat Party. He has no business being a Republican. His district is in the rural desert, and is very Conservative, I hope he loses his seat, lying scum like him deserve no place in politics.

If I lived there I would actually vote for a Liberal Democrat who will tell the truth about how they will vote over a slimy demon like this moron.

I don't care what people think, I am against allowing any homosexuality - It's my opinion, which I am supposedly entitled to. However the more Liberal ones here will probably berate me for not agreeing with their line - So much for the freedom to disagree according to them,

Old 07-24-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Certainly not all republican advocate for the suppression of gays. However, I'd argue a very many (most likely a large majority do). Certainly the establishment does.

Some evidence:

This is from the the current, official, Republican Platform in Texas:

"Homosexuality – We believe that the practice of homosexuality tears at the fabric of society, contributes to the breakdown of the family unit, and leads to the spread of dangerous, communicable diseases. Homosexual behavior is contrary to the fundamental, unchanging truths that have been ordained by God, recognized by our country’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable “alternative” lifetyle in our public education and policy, nor should “family” be redefined to include homosexual “couples.” We are opposed to any granting of special legal entitlements, refuse to recognize, or grant special privileges including, but not limited to: marriage between persons of the same sex (regardless of state of origin), custody of children by homosexuals, homosexual partner insurance or retirement benefits. We oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.

Texas Sodomy Statutes – We oppose the legalization of sodomy. We demand that Congress exercise its authority granted by the U.S. Constitution to withhold jurisdiction from the federal courts from cases involving sodomy."

This is from the current, official Republican Platform in Montana:

"We support the clear will of the people of Montana expressed by legislation to keep homosexual acts illegal."

Similar statements can be found in many official state Republican party platforms.

Montana GOP - MONTANA REPUBLICAN PARTY PLATFORM (http://www.mtgop.org/platform.aspx - broken link)

http://static.texastribune.org/media...Y_PLATFORM.pdf
Ohhhhh...I see...before your party created a platform, they went around and personally asked you and everyone you know if they should include stuff to pacify and pander to certain special interests...and then they tailored it just like you liked it and mirroring your real beliefs? I see...

You know what's funny...you don't see why I'd let this issue go (for now) in favor of other more important issues, but you'd have me forego caring about the other issues to join the party that supposedly is 'on my side' just for this one issue.

You see the inconsistency?

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
Another gay "Conservative" "Republican" living a lie. He was obviously never Conservative, and should have just followed his heart to the Democrat Party. ,
How does who he sleep with affect his opinions on fiscal policy, foreign policy, immigration policy, taxes, social programs...?

Please use logic instead of stereotypes.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:03 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,113,527 times
Quote:
I don't care what people think, I am against allowing any homosexuality - It's my opinion, which I am supposedly entitled to. However the more Liberal ones here will probably berate me for not agreeing with their line - So much for the freedom to disagree according to them,
Whoa. Hold your hoses. This flaming liberal (and I image all the other liberals on this site, and certainly all the other liberals I personally know) fully support your freedom to disagree with me. Hell, I even proudly support your freedom to choose to be the hate-filled, homophobic, repressively-totalitarian policy supporting bigot you so proudly proclaim yourself to be.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:09 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,064,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
You are not as simple-minded as you're pretending to be right here.

And there is more to life than who I sleep with. There are much more pressing issues that directly affect my life and my perception of how society should be run than whether or not I can get married.

I would rather work within the party that stands for 90% of what I believe in to change the culture and advance gay rights than sell out just based on my sexuality. That is truly stupid.

And get a clue...republican does not = right wing christian fundamentalist lunatic. They are just the loud-mouthed morons who are getting all the attention and have hijacked the party. Many of us are working to oust them and become what we're supposed to stand for.
Ummmm.........yes it does: Sarah Palin.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:38 PM

571 posts, read 944,171 times
I think this is a step in the right direction. We need more pro-gay people in the Republican party. It's an issue of the govt. legislating morality- AKA, government so huge that it gets directly involved in your personal choices & lifestyle. Perhaps one of the biggest attacks on our Constitution today are the anti-gay laws & initiatives. Any true Conservative worth his/her salt would support gay rights on those grounds.

It's too bad he was a hypocrite, but I have been around LGBT people all my life & realize what they go through due to the fact that society likes to package people into boxes & stereotype everybody, which is always the wrong thing to do.

Old 07-24-2010, 01:43 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,113,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Ohhhhh...I see...before your party created a platform, they went around and personally asked you and everyone you know if they should include stuff to pacify and pander to certain special interests...and then they tailored it just like you liked it and mirroring your real beliefs? I see...

You know what's funny...you don't see why I'd let this issue go (for now) in favor of other more important issues, but you'd have me forego caring about the other issues to join the party that supposedly is 'on my side' just for this one issue.

You see the inconsistency?
Huh. I have no clue what you're talking about - especially in your second paragraph. I in no way suggested you be a one-issue person and pick your party accordingly. I made no mention of how you, or anyone, should decide party affiliation. I happen to be a democrat because the I agree with most of the current platform. It's a personal decision. If I were to decide my party affiliation on a singe issue, gay rights would not be that issue. It's 3rd or 4th on my list.

To answer your question in the 1st paragraph, yes - I've actually participated (via party meeting, discussions, letters, polls) a bit in helping craft the democratic party platform here in CO. Party platforms generally reflect the attitudes and policy wishes of the party members - especially the active ones. A lot of the platform is formed using polling data showing the prevailing attitudes of party members.

Some more evidence that REPUBLICANS in general, don not support gays and advocate for their suppression:

Results from a May 2010 Gallup Poll:

Q: Are gay/lesbian relationships morally acceptable?

Republicans: 35% - yes
Democrats: 61% - yes
Independents: 61% - yes
Liberals: 78% yes
Conservatives: 33% yes

Q: Should gay marriage be legal:

Republicans: 29% - yes
Democrats: 56% - yes
Independents: 49% - yes
Liberals: 70% yes
Conservatives: 25% yes

Results for a 2003 Gallup Poll:

Q: Do you think homosexual relations between consenting adults should or should not be legal?

Republicans: 50% legal, 47% Illegal
Democrats: 64% legal, 33% Illegal
Independents: 64% legal, 31% Illegal

2006 Pew Poll

Q: Do you favor allowing gays and lesbians to adopt children?

Republicans: 30% favor, 65% oppose
Democrats: 55% favor, 40% oppose
Liberals: 76% favor, 19% oppose
Conservatives: 20% favor, 77% oppose

Q: Should gays be allowed to openly serve in the military?

Republicans: 46% favor, 46% oppose
Democrats: 70% favor, 23% oppose
Liberals: 85% favor, 9% oppose
Conservatives: 36% favor, 58% oppose

http://www.gallup.com/poll/8722/six-...uld-legal.aspx
http://www.gallup.com/poll/135764/Am...Threshold.aspx
http://www.gallup.com/poll/128291/Am...-Slightly.aspx
http://people-press.org/report/273/l...litary-service

Last edited by hammertime33; 07-24-2010 at 02:09 PM..

Old 07-24-2010, 04:12 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,544,230 times
Quote:
Another gay "Conservative" "Republican" living a lie. He was obviously never Conservative, and should have just followed his heart to the Democrat Party. He has no business being a Republican. His district is in the rural desert, and is very Conservative, I hope he loses his seat, lying scum like him deserve no place in politics.

If I lived there I would actually vote for a Liberal Democrat who will tell the truth about how they will vote over a slimy demon like this moron.

You'd be quite happy living in Afghanistan. Or Saudi Arabia. Or even Iran. They probably wont allow someone to be in love with someone of the same sex.

But anyway...

Old 07-24-2010, 06:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,693,492 times
Quote:
I don't care what people think, I am against allowing any homosexuality
Meaning what? You want it to be illegal? That would take some serious government intervention and control, and I doubt that even conservative Republicans would support such a thing.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 07-24-2010 at 07:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies