Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support another "Stimulus" Bill?
Yes 8 13.11%
No 51 83.61%
I dont know 2 3.28%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 08:55 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,641,897 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
Nobody took your sentence out of context. I stand by my original question, what did it do for us in the end? Our economy "growth" was based on nothing but fraud (housing, default swaps, derivatives etc) and led to one of the biggest financial meltdowns since the Great Depression. Yet here you are trying to claim these tax cuts are what really drove the economy. In reality the debt doubled and the deficit grew as a result of his tax cuts. The economy was sham based on Wall Street's love of puffed up home values.

I'm sure none of you will complain if that happens, right?
SLCPUNK..that recovery was the "jobless recovery"..remember ?
jobless because everyone started binging on debt.
When the housing bubble burst the stories were shocking..you remember them I'm sure. People using HELOC's like debit cards.

The Fed lowered rates and the banks were only too happy to lend.
It wasn't Bush..it was the Fed.

There is no more room for a jobless recovery..no one can get debt anymore because their assets have deflated. This administration is beating a dead horse with stimulus to get us to spend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,490,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
SLCPUNK..that recovery was the "jobless recovery"..remember ?
jobless because everyone started binging on debt.
When the housing bubble burst the stories were shocking..you remember them I'm sure. People using HELOC's like debit cards.

The Fed lowered rates and the banks were only too happy to lend.
It wasn't Bush..it was the Fed.

There is no more room for a jobless recovery..no one can get debt anymore because their assets have deflated. This administration is beating a dead horse with stimulus to get us to spend.
You are mixing the two points.

I understand what you are saying, however I'm asking you how our national debt/deficits looked at the end of Bush's term? Those would would be directly related to spending more while also cutting taxes.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM

30,145 posts, read 18,747,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
There have been some in the media lately calling for another Stimulus Bill. I think it was the LA Times that says the first one is already running out. I wasnt aware that they actually spent all that money yet. I know during the first year, they hadnt spent much of it. There has been some suggesting that we are on the verge of basically another double dip.

Either way, if you support another one, why? I dont understand how people think spending and spending is going to get us completely out of this mess. We DONT HAVE THE MONEY. So why keep spending for a temporary solution? The Stimulus Bill did little to create jobs in the private sector. It created some in the government and prevented some from being layed off, but..as predicted, the money has run out and now they need more.

This whole notion of constant spending and digging deeper debt is a disaster. How on earth do some of you rationalize this?

Agree. Blowing another $ 1 trillion with no economic result would be insane. Therefore, this is exactly what I suspect the liberals will do.

How about=
1. cutting corporate taxes
2. cutting income taxes
3. spending cuts 25% across the board
4. repeal NAFTA
5. repeal China most favored nation trade status

Old 06-30-2010, 09:00 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,422,877 times
Default Oh, we love stimulus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
There have been some in the media lately calling for another Stimulus Bill. I think it was the LA Times that says the first one is already running out. I wasnt aware that they actually spent all that money yet. I know during the first year, they hadnt spent much of it. There has been some suggesting that we are on the verge of basically another double dip.

Either way, if you support another one, why? I dont understand how people think spending and spending is going to get us completely out of this mess. We DONT HAVE THE MONEY. So why keep spending for a temporary solution? The Stimulus Bill did little to create jobs in the private sector. It created some in the government and prevented some from being layed off, but..as predicted, the money has run out and now they need more.

This whole notion of constant spending and digging deeper debt is a disaster. How on earth do some of you rationalize this?
YES we need more stimulus, it is so much fun. I closed on a different home in December, but only owned my old one for 59 1/2 months, not 60, so I missed out on that one. I hired an employee in January instead of in February, so I missed that one by a hair. I traded an old junker in just three months early, missed that one too!

Take more of my money and splash it around at random--or, just borrow it from our grandchildren or the Chinese.

Whatever you do, don't provide a stable set of sound incentives that will lead to a vibrant economy. We know where that ends up--those most valuable to the rest of society might make some money.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:02 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,490,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
How about=
1. cutting corporate taxes
2. cutting income taxes
Will you also be complaining about our debt while cutting taxes? Or will you put that on hold?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,460,549 times
Absolutely. I think we're in danger of a double dip recession if the federal government fails to provide more stimulus.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:12 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,526,084 times
probably a moot point, another stimulus or not. We are in such a deep hole now, it will takes generations to see the light of day.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You are mixing the two points.

I understand what you are saying, however I'm asking you how our national debt/deficits looked at the end of Bush's term? Those would would be directly related to spending more while also cutting taxes.
I didn't look at those figures. The cuts got the economy out of a recession.
The ramifications of that I didn't go into.

The wars definitely added to the debt. I don't know the figures at the end of the Bush terms. Then again..I don't know what they are today as that's not something I follow.

Bush didn't have a stimulus package..he did the cuts.
Obama is doing a stimulus package.

Are we not now spending more with no increase in taxes ?

Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,719,019 times
Absolutely. This is the perfect time to make big investments in our public infrastructure.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Absolutely. This is the perfect time to make big investments in our public infrastructure.
That was the point of the first stimulus. You want more hike and bike trails ?
Or, you could go to Afghanistan..the US is spending money there on their electric grid..to win over their loyalty.

First we rebuild Iraq and now Afghanistan. Maybe if we have leftover money we can fix our crumbling infrastructure from the FDR days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies