Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 11:22 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,113,260 times

Advertisements

Texas was only able to balance the 2010 budget with the forced acceptance of the stimulus package despite what Mr. Good hair stated with recurring ignorance. Texas for 2011-2012 is going to be facing a serious shortfall. Probably not as bad as California, but a HUGE hole to be made up to say the least.

Budget Woes Cloud Texas Governor's Re-Election - WSJ.com

Quote:
But as the state's budget shortfall widens—to as much as $18 billion, or about 20% of the next two-year budget, according to the state legislature's latest analysis released earlier this month—critics are complaining that Mr. Perry's policies have left the state with little room to reduce spending.
Quote:
The governor's cost-cutting zeal is being questioned after the Associated Press reported he had spent some $600,000 of taxpayer dollars over the past couple of years to rent and maintain a luxurious home while the official governor's mansion was repaired after a fire.
Quote:
Although Mr. Perry has railed against the federal economic-stimulus program, billions of dollars from that initiative helped Texas legislators balance the current budget. Those funds won't be available for the next budget.
Mr. Perry countered that he has ample budget-balancing experience and that he overcame a $10 billion deficit in 2003. He has promised to put the state's finances in order without raising taxes. As an initial step, he and other state leaders this month ordered budget cuts of $1.2 billion across state agencies.

Time for Mr. Good-hair to "mosey on down the road."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 12:22 AM

38,651 posts, read 26,457,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Texas was only able to balance the 2010 budget with the forced acceptance of the stimulus package despite what Mr. Good hair stated with recurring ignorance. Texas for 2011-2012 is going to be facing a serious shortfall. Probably not as bad as California, but a HUGE hole to be made up to say the least.

Budget Woes Cloud Texas Governor's Re-Election - WSJ.com

Time for Mr. Good-hair to "mosey on down the road."

Other than your disdain for this person's hair, was there a point to be made?

It seems to me that TX is perhaps the best example of a state taking responsible action to keep the numbers in line without taxing capitalism to death or running up our kid's credit card.

I applaud TX for setting the example for states like mine (MI) to follow.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:27 AM

22,231 posts, read 19,537,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

It seems to me that TX is perhaps the best example of a state taking responsible action to keep the numbers in line without taxing capitalism to death or running up our kid's credit card.

Te Texas Governor's mansion is being renovated, Perry is under fire for choosing a multi million $$$ home to rent at the taxpayers expense while the renovations take place. His opponent White has stated that he will rent a much less expensive home in Austin (using his own funds) if he were to win while those renovations take place.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:57 AM

45,307 posts, read 26,574,236 times
Quote:

Perrys opponent White, is bald.Maybe it's a case of hair envy?
White looks like he has been a typical tax and spend Democrat only now changing his tune for an upcoming election.
I'll bet he'll burn through the money saved on mansion rent and then some.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,255,445 times
Isnt the left always explaining away Obamas need to fly around the world and spend millions to give a 10 minute speach? This one is up to Texas to decide because I dont pay taxes there, and am not liable for their bills..

Old 06-20-2010, 09:00 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,113,260 times
Quote:

I will agree that you shouldn't/can't tax capitalism to death, however, continually cutting corporate tax rates clearly shows; that manner will only lead to a continued decrease in tax base and will lead to a larger gap in the budget.

Perry has already cut services time and time again. There is VERY little to cut left in a State that is famous for it's little to no public services. State employees have had a rotating pay freeze for the last 7 of the last 10 years.
Texas spends next to last I believe in dollars per child for education. Our kids won't be able to have a credit card to spend on, if they have no jobs to get it.

Old 06-20-2010, 09:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,255,445 times
Quote:
I will agree that you shouldn't/can't tax capitalism to death, however, continually cutting corporate tax rates clearly shows; that manner will only lead to a continued decrease in tax base and will lead to a larger gap in the budget.
Maybe you are discussing Texas, but who is continuing to cut corporate tax rates, and if it leads to a decrease in the tax base, then why does revenues go up when you cut taxes?
Quote:
Perry has already cut services time and time again. There is VERY little to cut left in a State that is famous for it's little to no public services. State employees have had a rotating pay freeze for the last 7 of the last 10 years.
If you dont like your pay, you are welcome to find a job in the private sector..
Quote:
Texas spends next to last I believe in dollars per child for education. Our kids won't be able to have a credit card to spend on, if they have no jobs to get it.
More spending doesnt equate to a better education..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies