Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:14 AM

3 posts, read 5,207 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
There is no denying that the Sharp Edge is pricey. The thing is, they will still do well. Businessmen and conventioneers will charge up their cards to sample all of the different brews, and get a bite to eat to boot.
There is a very reasonable place on Shiloh Street, which runs perpendicular to Grandview Avenue on Mt. Washington. It is called Pack's N's Dogs. They have a huge serve yourself cooler of crafts and Belgians. Most beers are in the 2-3 dollar range. Harp is $2.25 for example. The Sharp Edge charges $5.50. A 24 oz. bottle of Heineken is $3.00. You can sample four great beers and still spend less than $10.00. At D's in Regent Square, or Fat Heads, or Sharp Edge, you are already at twenty dollars plus. Packs N' dogs has no drafts. It is just a casual place with very reasonably priced craft beers that serves hot dogs and hamburgers.
I'll add in another recommendation for this place! My brother in law lives near there and we went over Memorial Day weekend. Very nice selection of singles and their prices were pretty good. All of their beer is in the cooler and you can enjoy one there w/ your food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,544,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuwaver88 View Post
Somebody had mentioned that to me but I have not been there in a few months to see it. I last bought a case of beer there around Christmas and did not notice the bottle shop. I do not buy many cases, and that is what Beer Nutz was initially, a beer distubutor. It is interesting to see that they have taps. That is rare for a beer distrubutor. I guess they have to have a certain license for cases and another one for serving on premises? Maybe someone knows how this works. I'll swing buy there for a draft or two no doubt.

They actually have it set up like two different businesses. Each business has a separate door. The back is the distributor. The front is a bottle shop. They sell individual bottles, have beers on tap and they sell bar food (hot dogs, fries, etc.).

Old 06-10-2010, 11:48 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
God forbid, you wouldn't want to act boorish with the female clientele.
Nah, I'll leave that to you and the rest of the jorts n' mullets brigade.

I'll even leave you a few quarters so you can play Guns n' Roses on the juke box.

Last edited by Drover; 06-10-2010 at 12:18 PM.. Reason: Forgot to leave some quarters for the juke box

Old 06-10-2010, 01:14 PM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Nah, I'll leave that to you and the rest of the jorts n' mullets brigade.

I'll even leave you a few quarters so you can play Guns n' Roses on the juke box.
Are we thinking of the same place? Last I checked that was prime territory for pop collared douches and not blue collar weirdos on the weekends. Either way, it's wise to avoid it.

Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,911,427 times
All of this talk has made me grab a cold one.

Off topic - does anyone know if Chief's in North Oakland is still open?

Old 06-17-2010, 10:23 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,332,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sister of1 View Post
I see all this talk about the high beer prices, and nothing about the food! The new chef, Brian rocks! The chefs creations are to die for, and worth every penny! How awesome it is to have fabulous food that you have not tried before!! If you have only tried the typical bar food, make sure you try the chefs creations. you will not be disappointed. Then you will be able to talk about how great the food is, instead of putting down the high cost of the beer. But I must say, yes, the beer is expensive, but if you want a nice belgian beer to go with your glorious meal, try it out! It's fabulous!
Eh, for a long time the Sharp was not known for the high quality of its culinary offerings. If the Sharp has in fact moved its menu up-market, it may be a while before people give it a try, at least those more familiar with the Emporium and Creekhouse. New customers at the newer locations may be a better bet for establishing a reputation for the food menu. In the meantime, Pointe Brugge owns Pittsburgh where reputation for Belgian cuisine is concerned.

Old 06-18-2010, 02:21 AM

1,104 posts, read 2,594,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwonderwhy2124 View Post
Strangely, Oregon does not let you pump your own gas though. It has to be done by a professional gas pumper employee.
Oddly, I did not know that. I wonder why that is.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,728,155 times
I visited the new location downtown a few days ago. It was during happy hour so they prices on drafts weren't so extreme (but they were still very expensive). I was there with 2 other people and we all thought the food was OKish, nothing great.

Also, their bottles prices... dear lord.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh