Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 12:19 PM

9 posts, read 15,232 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!

Great to find this forum. I am a Carnegie-Mellon graduate, and may be relocating from Cleveland OH to the Pittsburgh area. I love the Pittsburgh area and I'm a Steelers fanatic as well! I'm one of the final candidates for an excellent position in Downtown Pittsburgh.

I'm interested in learning more about housing affordability (we would want to buy a house within a 45 minute drive from Downtown at 125K or less), also about good school districts. I have 2 boys who will be in 6th grade next year, one who is special needs (autistic, hyperlexic) and the other one is developmentally normal, fantastic in math.

Also interested in Special Olympics roller and ice skating programs, PeeWee hockey in the Pittsburgh area.

I appreciate any advice you can give me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,405,303 times
First, just want to commend you on the courage it must take to be a Steeler fan in Cleveland.

Just curious, why 45 minutes out of town? I grew up on the East End, but when I left Pgh in my 20's I was living in Greentree and I loved it. I'm pretty sure you can get a house in Greentree in your price range.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
There are plenty of areas within your price range, but you need to pick an area with a good school system. As a result, I recommend North Hills and North Allegheny school districts.

Ross Township or West View are part of the North Hills School District. North Hills is an excellent district, and there are many properties within your price range in the West View area. West View is an older area that has a town feeling with sidewalks and small yards. Ross is an older suburban township.

There are random houses within your price range in the North Allegheny School District, specificly in McCandless. McCandless is a nice suburban area. North Allegheny has an excellent special education program.

Fox Chapel and Hampton are great school districts, but there are no houses available in your price range, except in Sharpsburg, but I wouldn't want to raise young teens in Sharpsburg.

Here is some housing that's currently available.

NORTH ALLEGHENY

McCandless:

McCandless Real Estate - 133 E FAIRVIEW, McCandless, PA, 15237

duplex: McCandless Real Estate - 8239 Elaine Drive, McCandless, PA, 15237

NORTH HILLS SCHOOL DISTRICT

Ross Township:

Ross Twp Real Estate - 111 15th St, Ross Twp, PA, 15229

West View:

West View Real Estate - 12 Columbia Avenue, West View, PA, 15229

West View Real Estate - 132 Bronx Avenue, West View, PA, 15229

West View Real Estate - 43 Ann Arbor Avenue, West View, PA, 15229

If I were you, I'd focus mostly on North Hills School District, but you might find a random deal in the North Allegheny School District.

There are more options available within your price range in the North Hills School District. As you can see, your money goes furthest in West View.

West View and Ross Township (North Hills School District) is 15 to 20 minutes away from downtown.

Areas of North Allegheny School District can range from 20 to 40 minutes from downtown.

West View, Ross and McCandless are all conveniently located to shopping malls on McKnight Road.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Welcome back (hopefully)! You don't need to look so far out to find a nice house; you can probably find a decently priced one much closer to the downtown area; even if our housing prices aren't as cheap as in Cleveland.

Old 04-24-2010, 01:33 PM

9 posts, read 15,232 times
Hello - thanks for your replies. I meant no further than 30-45 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh. I appreciate your help!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:14 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
From what I hear about the education of special needs students, is that you are usually better off in the top school districts because they have the budget to provide a better educational experience for the special needs student (sort of assuming your child is going to be mainstreamed).

I think the Watson Institute also educates autistic kids and they are buildng a new building on S. Negley in Friendship. However, I don't know the specific role they fill in educating a child with Autism.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,838 times
I second the North Hills school district recommendation at your price point and for commuting to downtown.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29 PM

377 posts, read 652,320 times
I would recommend North Hills School District as well. You will have a lot of options in the West View area and it is a quick trip downtown IMO.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:43 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,740 times
Here are 2011 school rankings. North Hills really is nothing special. You have plenty of other options to choose from.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:36 AM

598 posts, read 748,357 times
I would recommend North Allegheny SD (not to be confused with North Hills SD). Apart from being a really good neighborhood, North Allegheny School District's Autistic Support Program is one of the best in the area. With that said, finding a good house for 125K in that area can be challenging.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh