Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 08:26 AM

17 posts, read 33,072 times

Advertisements

There are very few Mexican restaurants! Even the one in Squirrel Hill doesn't open until 5! Also, the one in Oakland is sorely lacking. You can't find chilaquiles or mole on the menu! And I thought that was standard! Even if you don't have the desire to open up a restaurant, there are several 'food cart' types of set-ups for the college and hospital crowd set up on Bellefield Ave. in Oakland. Mexican may do very well there since as of now it's only Thai and Chinese fare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 10:34 AM

78 posts, read 140,888 times
[quote=chelso0o;12079486]There are very few Mexican restaurants! Even the one in Squirrel Hill doesn't open until 5! Also, the one in Oakland is sorely lacking. You can't find chilaquiles or mole on the menu! A/quote]

I have to admit, I subject my family to a mole on almost a weekly basis. While I like what I serve, I still don't think that I have "perfected" it. It is a very difficult dish to get completely right!

Old 12-18-2009, 12:03 PM

226 posts, read 589,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newhope321 View Post
A feijoada cook-off? How awesome is that? (I think I like that tradition better than the one our family has -- each year we have a "Penguin barbecue"! We wait for the worst snow storm of the year and, when it happens, everyone wears shorts and comes to our house to barbecue outside! -- I love my husband, but he's a lunatic!)

So, for your couve, do you use collard greens or kale? I know I'll lose points with you because, unless requested by a customer, I serve mine with rice rather than farofa.

Good grief I'm excited about moving to Pittsburgh!
I use baby collard greens when available, but adult, leather-you-can-make-shoes-out-of collards when necessary. I think a friend tried kale once, and it just had a wrong taste. That being said, even baby collards are not as tender as Brazilian couve--if you move down to spinach, however, it's just too tender and again, the wrong taste. I work in Mozambique quite a bit and they have real couve there, so I try to get my fill of it there and I may look for seeds to bring back to Pittsburgh next time (should produce a crop before the freeze, no?).

I definitely serve it with rice (sometimes flecked with shards of beef jerky because you know you aren't getting enough cholesterol otherwise ) but I also have farofa on the side--it's no substitute for rice and I don't even like it very much, but what can I say...it's the way they do it in Brasil!

*don't mean to hijack the thread with this trivia, but I'm sorry, newhope321 had no right to bring up feijoada!

Old 12-18-2009, 03:25 PM

You didn't "hijack" the thread. I can say this because it's MY post :-) I use kale because I have a son who is completely addicted to kale in any form. I make it because I like to eat the bacon!! I am actually thinking about buying a cart to serve food from. That will help my business, and it will allow me to get my food out there.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:25 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,940,097 times
I think it's a GREAT idea and you may want to add other latin menu items for a added twist.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:31 PM

Like what? Tell me and I'm there!

Old 12-18-2009, 04:54 PM

226 posts, read 589,012 times
I think it might be better to focus on a few (amazing) specialties. It can be very intimidating/unsatisfying to be confronted with a menu that is too big and varied, espcially if you're trying to attract an audience for food that might be considered exotic.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:59 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,940,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I think it might be better to focus on a few (amazing) specialties. It can be very intimidating/unsatisfying to be confronted with a menu that is too big and varied, espcially if you're trying to attract an audience for food that might be considered exotic.
You have specials and you change you menu each season or people will become tired of the same old menue....

Old 12-18-2009, 11:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,251,373 times
Can you get a solid Cubano in Pittsburgh yet? How 'bout empenadas?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh