Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 06:59 AM

114 posts, read 350,354 times

Advertisements

OK, so I'm looking desperately for a good, cheap mexican place. Here's what I want:
unlimited chips/salsa
cheese dip option (for a price of course)
cheap food ($2 taco, $6.50-$8.50 for an entree)

Is there anywhere like this!? We went to La Fiesta in Oakland and they wanted like $15 for a Chimichanga! I'm originally from Indiana where there were TONS of places like this. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2008, 08:20 AM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Have you tried Mad Mex in Oakland? It's at 370 Atwood St. From their online menu it seems to be cheaper. I've ate there several times over the years, good food, though not quite authentic mexican, it's still very tasty. And the decor is out of this world

http://www.madmex.com/pdf/madmex_mainmenu.pdf (broken link)

Mad Mex (http://www.madmex.com/entrance/ - broken link)

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
MexiCasa in Dormont on West Liberty: Mexi Casa South Hills | Mexican restaurant in Mt Lebanon/Dormont | Restaurant menus, reviews and maps on urbanspoon.com

Mexico City on Smithfield downtown: Mexico City - Food - Dining Reviews - Pittsburgh City Paper - Pittsburgh

And I don't know if it's even still there, Veracruz on Forbes in Oakland.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:00 AM

911 posts, read 2,375,493 times
Bienvenidos A Emiliano's Mexican Restaurant & Cantina
emiliano's in north hills

or don pablo's in monroeville

good food-reasonably priced

or of course taco bell's 89 cent menu
ha ha ha

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM

356 posts, read 916,908 times
I like Mad Mex and feel their prices are reasonable but in my opinion they do not fit the criteria you requested, mostly because they charge for chips and salsa.

I am following this thread closely. Having lived in Houston for 14 years before moving back here, I would love to find a tasty, cheap mexican place where you are served unlimited chips and salsa (for free) from the moment you are seated.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:59 AM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut33 View Post
OK, so I'm looking desperately for a good, cheap mexican place. Here's what I want:
unlimited chips/salsa
cheese dip option (for a price of course)
cheap food ($2 taco, $6.50-$8.50 for an entree)

Is there anywhere like this!? We went to La Fiesta in Oakland and they wanted like $15 for a Chimichanga! I'm originally from Indiana where there were TONS of places like this. Any suggestions??
El Campesino (Peter's TWP, Ross, Robinson, others?) is exactly what you are looking for.

There are other places also but the names escape me right now.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:19 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,546,779 times
Unlimited chips and salsa? How cheap are you people?

Old 10-08-2008, 12:48 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,803,289 times
Yeah, I don't get the obsession with free chips and salsa either. Mad Mex is damn good food, and cheaper than what the OP payed at La Fiesta, for the most part within the price range they're looking for. Their chips are really good as well, three different types served together. I always get them as an appetizer, and they have several different kinds of dips and salsas to accompany them.

Oh, let's not forget about their beer selection and margaritas!!! And there's a hookah bar right across the street with killer fruit smoothies for after dinner.

Old 10-08-2008, 02:32 PM

356 posts, read 916,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by COPANUT View Post
Unlimited chips and salsa? How cheap are you people?
It is not a matter of cheap, it's just a matter of principle.

It's equivalent to an Italian restaurant charging extra for bread or limiting how much you can have.

I like Mad Mex. Hubby and I go to lunch at the one in Oakland and take the kids to the one in Monroeville. Just with regards to chips and salsa - they are doing it wrong.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,375,591 times
Three Amigos Mexican Restaurante

locally-owned restaurant is far better and more authentic than any of the major national Mexican restaurant chains... a nice variety of food at good prices.

based on the recipes of the family grandmother whose cooking was well-known in her region of Mexico. Everything containing cheese is made with traditional Mexican queso blanco instead of the usual yellow cheddar used everywhere else; this helps add to the authentic tastes.

Fountain drinks and teas come in large glasses with free refills on most. There are more than a dozen different combo deals offering three main items (enchiladas, burritos, tacos, chalupas, tamales, quesadilas, etc.) plus beans and rice. The beans are creamier than is commonly the case and the rice milder. These combos are priced well and provide a very good value because what you get is quite filling for usually less then $10.

There is one on Rt. 8 in Gibsonia and the newest one is on Freeport Road (Old Rt. 28) in Harmarville. I've been told by a friend who goes on vacation to Mexico every year, this is the most authentic in Pgh.
Link goes to menu page with prices:

Three Amigos Mexican Restuarante - Menu
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh