Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM

1 posts, read 3,752 times

Advertisements

I am planning on attending Nursing school in Pittsburgh, I recently went to go check out the city and look at a few "cheap" appartments and didn't see any I liked. All the neighborhoods I went in seemed dirty, scary, and kind of run down. Maybe I was just in the wrong ones? So what are some good/safe neighborhoods to move to? My price range is $300-600. I really would like something remotely close to UMPC St. Margret's, as that is where I will be working when I get out of college. I don't mind driving 20-30 mins, but I'd rather not drive more than that to get there. I'm not picky about amenities in the appartments, so long as it isn't a scary place to live. Thanks for the info!

-A
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 11:40 AM

783 posts, read 2,022,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmy07 View Post
I am planning on attending Nursing school in Pittsburgh, I recently went to go check out the city and look at a few "cheap" appartments and didn't see any I liked. All the neighborhoods I went in seemed dirty, scary, and kind of run down. Maybe I was just in the wrong ones? So what are some good/safe neighborhoods to move to? My price range is $300-600. I really would like something remotely close to UMPC St. Margret's, as that is where I will be working when I get out of college. I don't mind driving 20-30 mins, but I'd rather not drive more than that to get there. I'm not picky about amenities in the appartments, so long as it isn't a scary place to live. Thanks for the info!

-A

Where did you look? oakland? if so, that explains it. Oakland is a rat-infested hole. It's a ghetto for college students and 90% of the apts are disgusting and should be boarded up. For $600 you can get a decent place with a roommate, especially around shady side, the south side, or squirrel hill. are you completely against a roommate? if you are against a roommate, but want a nice 1BR, then you might have to look a little more outside of the city. do you have a vehicle? if so, then you could find a decent 1BR in monroeville. i'd use the bus for the school though.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:42 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,054,276 times
What neighborhoods were you looking in? Just curious?

St. Margarets is in Aspinwall. Look for an apartment there. Its not considered the city, but shoot, you're like 2 minutes away from it, with all that access to Route 28 and the Highland Park Bridge.
If you want to be in the actual city, look into rental units in East Liberty, Highland Park, Morningside, Stanton Heights, or Lawrenceville. East Liberty and Lawrenceville are your best bets for that $300-600 range you're looking for. But, you might get lucky and find something down in Aspinwall, too....or you can try Sharpsburg.

By the way, these communities are VERY close to St. Margaret's. 5-10 minute drives.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:43 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Why not live right in Aspinwall if you are going to work at St. Margarets? It's a great little town.

classifieds - craigslist

Also drive around Aspinwall and look for 'for rent' signs. Most Aspinwall rentals aren't advertised.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
I agree about Aspinwall itself being a good choice, as well as Highland Park and Morningside, and you might look at the Verona/Oakmont area as well.

By the way, some safe, convenient, and affordable Pittsburgh neighborhoods can also look a little run down. Which is not to suggest you shouldn't use your intuition on whether an apartment is in an acceptable area, but you may need to recalibrate it a bit for use in Pittsburgh.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:46 PM

22,593 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAmy07 View Post
I am planning on attending Nursing school in Pittsburgh
Where are you going to school?
Wouldn't you want to live near there for the years you are working on your degree?

You can move to Aspinwall after graduation....

Old 10-21-2009, 11:16 PM

1,758 posts, read 4,232,211 times
For the record, Aspinwall is not inexpensive. It is Fox Chapel's Town Center if you will. They want keep a good quality of life by keeping the the rent's only for people who have good enough jobs to afford it. The reason for this is, given it's location, is there is good demand for Awall, as we call it around here because it is Fox Chapel School District and just a nice town with a great location. Given this location, cheap rents would allow this town to deteriorate rather quickly, like Sharpsburg.
They are vowing not to let that happen in Awall.

Old 10-22-2009, 07:03 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,026,276 times
Aspinwall is indeed one of the higher-priced neighborhoods in that immediate area, but I think it might be possible to find a modest 1BR in the $500-600 range.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:04 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Aspinwall definitely falls within the OP's price range for a small apartment.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:24 PM

4,359 posts, read 7,533,270 times
There are some affordable places in Aspinwall and some more expensive places as well. Since you want an easy commute, I would look there first. I would then look in Blawnox which is cheaper than Aspinwall and still safe and fairly close to St. Margarets. Oakmont is nice, some blocks are awesome and some aren't nice. Verona can be bad. Do a search on Verona and ready the City Paper article about it. So unless you know Verona I would avoid it because a block that may look nice may not be so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh