Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 15,672 times

Advertisements

Hi,

we are moving to pittsburgh from a detroit suburb. i'm wondering if anyone can compare some of the detroit area suburbs to pittsburgh or pitts suburb? for example, we are black and would like an area like southfield or troy.

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:58 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
I'm not aware of any Pittsburghers on here who are from Detroit.

Could you describe Southfield and Troy for us?

We might be able to help you find something similar if you can provide us with some details.

Old 04-28-2007, 06:57 PM

well southfield is a close to detroit. it is mostly black middle class people. some shopping and resturants. good schools. troy is a little further from the city about 20min drive. it has great schools. lots of great shopping and resturants. middle to upper class. majority white but i would feel very comfortable there. hope this helps.

Old 04-28-2007, 09:37 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Thanks for clarifying. That helps alot.

Penn Hills would probably be comparable to Southfield. It's not mostly black (only 24%), but it has a significant black population compared to the other townships.

There are many middle-to upper class townships like Troy. Great schools, shopping and restaurants? There's great shopping in all directions of Pittsburgh. And each direction has townships with great schools. I think you'd be comfortable almost anywhere you chose to live in Pittsburgh. Seriously. You and your children will be welcome in any Pittsburgh township similar to Troy.

Just stay away from any neighborhood that's part of the Woodland Hills School District. It has serious racial problems. Honestly, you'll do best in any township that is significantly more white or black. The townships that are extremely diversified due to bussing or merging districts have racial tension. The ones that are predominantly black or white do not have racial tension at all.

Let us know what part of town you'll be working, and we'll help you find the area with the best schools, best shopping and restaurants. If you're going to be working downtown, you can pick anywhere. If you're working north, south, east or west of downtown, you'd be best to pick a township in that direction. If you can clarify that, we can give you more specific recommendations.

Old 04-29-2007, 02:06 PM

thanks so much! we just got into pitts today. i will let you know what i find out here

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 AM

1 posts, read 2,541 times
Default we're thinking of moving there too

Hi,
Saw your message and I see that you got to Pittsburgh. My husband and kids and I are considering moving there from the Detroit area, also. We currently live in White Lake (near West Bloomfield, Milford area). We're going out in a couple weeks but don't know what areas to look at. We would like something comparable to northern Oakland County, also, but with a short commute to the city. If you come across any place like that could you post it? We don't know a soul there, although the recruiter is supposed to help us.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh