Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,248,776 times

Advertisements

I've been getting a bit curious about OAKLAND in Pittsburgh...particularly what I believe to be Central Oakland? Where is that Atwood Street is suppose to be? Is that Central Oakland?

This is kind of interesting: Oakland's Atwood Street is the home of Pittsburgh's exotic cuisines.

I also viewed some google maps on Atwood Street...looks very interesting, I like the feel to it - a lot.

I'm a bit curious what others perceptions are of it, and if there is something I'm missing here. The only big downside I see is that this area might be predominately college kids or frat houses? Not a bad thing, but if you aren't one, then might not be ideal. But interesting proximity to things nontheless, etc.

Also interesting that it is Andy Warhol's childhood home...South Oakland...I viewed it on google maps as well, not quite as cool looking as Atwood Street seems to be however.

How does Oakland compare with say Regent Square or Squirrel Hill or Southside, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 04:07 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,907,966 times
I have always viewed Oakland as Pittsburgh's 2nd Downtown a "midtown" of sorts, with E. Liberty being somewhat the 3rd downtown just because they are the Transit Centers of the East End.

Atwood Street - run North South, from Central Oakland to South Oakland and is a Busy street.

Oakland is a Central Business district, the center of Education, and Medical/Bio Tech in Pittsburgh....You now have companies also wanting to be in Oakland to tap the education pool, I believe this is why Rand Corp, chose Oakland as Eastern HQ's.

Oakland is the 3rd largest business district in PA behind Center City Philadelphia, and Downtown Pittsburgh.

Oakland is without a doubt the most diverse Nabe in Pittsburgh, other nabes diversity feeds from Oakland (Shadyside, Sq Hill, and South Side).

Oakland (back when I was living in Pgh) was Pittsburgh's 24hour Nabe; Drugstores, Giant Eagle, The O, and others were 24/7..3am in the morning get whatever you need in Oakland.

Oakland Property was not the best, alot of Frat house and College student housing, really turned some property into the gutter and this is in South Oakland, West Oakland, and Parts of North.

The best parts of Oakland IMO to live in (if you want to be in Oakland) is in North Oakland with its borders to Shadyside around the 5 Av/Craig/Neville/Bayard Streets area. In my eyes, Oakland is ONLY a Renters Market...I would not look at Oakland for Buying.

Last thing about Oakland it is a Major Transit Hub, Like downtown you can get almost anywhere from Oakland and with Frequent Service...Service to and from Downtown is Very Very Frequent were talking 6-7 buses in a 5 minute period....You can truly live without a Car in Oakland.

Old 07-24-2009, 06:17 AM

20,273 posts, read 33,053,532 times
As a residential neighborhood, most of Oakland is what I would call a classic "student ghetto", which tends to mean mostly rentals, usually not particularly well-kept. There is definitely a lot going on in Oakland, however, and there are a few nicer rentals available.

By the way, the one very obvious exception to the "student ghetto" characterization is the residential part of the Schenley Farms Historic District, which is actually one of the ritziest neighborhoods in the City and on the National Register of Historic Places. Schenley Farms was an early-20th Century planned community, part of the "City Beautiful" movement, and it has a very nice mix of well-constructed, and often quite large, homes in various period styles. See here for a nice description:

Schenley Farms Historic District, Pittsburgh City, Allegheny County, Pittsburgh PA 15213

Old 07-24-2009, 07:19 AM

540 posts, read 869,335 times
Another exception, IMO, to the "student ghetto" in Oakland is the area in far South Oakland, on the other side of Blvd. of the Allies from the universities. In particular, the area east of Bates St. has a more permanent resident feel to it. There are some student apartments in these areas too, of course, but also many single family homes. I lived on both Dawson St. (east of Bates) and Lawn St. (west of Bates) while I was a student at Pitt, and both neighborhoods were generally quiet.

Last edited by trotter_rej; 07-24-2009 at 07:39 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 07-24-2009, 07:22 AM

2,043 posts, read 5,057,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been getting a bit curious about OAKLAND in Pittsburgh...particularly what I believe to be Central Oakland?

I'm a bit curious what others perceptions are of it
I'd never move there, tell you that. Working in Oakland, I get to see Central Oakland, live and direct, in person, all the time. A lot of those apartment buildings are eye sores and have slum lords maintaining them. There is a nice section, though, over there by Schenley Park, before you approach the Schenley Park swimming pool, with nice homes with well kept lawns. I drive over in that section, frequently, because there's a short cut, back in there, that'll take you to the South Side Works in 5 minutes flat, from Oakland. I never knew about those homes back in there, until I was taught the short cut.

Old 07-24-2009, 07:32 AM

I very much agree that South Oakland proper (on the other side of Boulevard of the Allies) also is much less a student ghetto than the rest of Oakland--in fact, that may be part of why I tend not to think of that area when I think of Oakland.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:19 AM

781 posts, read 1,621,248 times
We looked around Oakland including Schenley Farms. There are some great areas, but it didn't seem as kid friendly as Squirrel Hill or Regent Square. That was just my gut feel.

Old 07-24-2009, 08:31 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,907,966 times
Your gut was right.....

Old 07-24-2009, 08:41 AM

295 posts, read 668,350 times
North Oakland is fine. Much better than South Oakland. There is basically trash on the streets down there. It's gross.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideblinded View Post
We looked around Oakland including Schenley Farms. There are some great areas, but it didn't seem as kid friendly as Squirrel Hill or Regent Square. That was just my gut feel.
Personally, I think that is correct. To supplement your gut, here are some statistics on percentage of residents under 18 as of the 2000 Census:

North Oakland 1.6%
Central Oakland 4.8%
West Oakland 15%
South Oakland 12.5%

For comparison:

City of Pittsburgh 17.5%
Shadyside 8.0%
Squirrel Hill North 9.8%
Regent Square 16.6%
Squirrel Hill South 16.9%
Greenfield 17.0%
Swisshelm Park 18.8%
Highland Park 21.6%
Point Breeze 22.2%

Obviously the student population pushes these percentages down a bit in every relevant neighborhood (i.e., if you looked only at non-students, the precentages would be higher in neighborhoods like Shadyside and Squirrel Hill), but I think it is fair to say that North Oakland and Central Oakland in particular are to the point that there are so few kids around they are likely to be less kid friendly neighborhoods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh