Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2009, 01:00 AM

9 posts, read 27,184 times

Advertisements

We will be visiting for the month of July . It is just myself (41 yo woman) and my 10 year old son. I am looking for a safe, walkable area with parks nearby.

So far I have narrowed it down to the Squirrel Hill area, Ive been searching craigslist for sublets..I am looking forward to exploring shops and places to eat!! Is this area a good choice? I know this is a big college area..but I wanted to be close to things..my other choice is a family neighborhood where my son can make friends and we can just drive to wherever we need to go.

Last year our visit was for two days, we stayed near the airport and visited the Children's Museum (the one with the submarine) We love museums and bookstores.

Thanks for your advice!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 06:16 AM

269 posts, read 1,054,879 times
I think Squirrel Hill would be a good choice as it's convenient to most places in the city. There are lots of playgrounds and a pool in Schenley Park. While there are a lot of students in the area, there are also a lot of families in Squirrel Hill. It is definitely a good mix of family and student. I would consider Oakland more of a college neighborhood as opposed to Squirrel Hill.
You'll be within walking distance of many shops and restaurants and close to the Oakland museums.
I hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:21 AM

15 posts, read 52,208 times
Here's a link you might find useful Walking Pittsburgh. My grands love visiting here. Don't miss the science center and even the Strip District for the open air shops and the popcorn store.

Old 04-15-2009, 01:24 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,018,179 times
Squirrel Hill is a great choice. The neighborhood itself is family-friendly and has lots of restaurants and shops, plus walking access to two big parks (although depending on where in Squirrel Hill you end up, one or the other park may end up a lot closer). Moreover, you have easy access from there to Oakland, by bus or car, which has lots of great museums and other historic stuff to see.

You might also look into my neighborhood, Regent Square. It is on the other side of Frick Park from Squirrel Hill, and again has pretty easy access to both Squirrel Hill and Oakland, as well as Downtown, plus a fun little restaurant/shopping area of its own.

Shadyside could be nice as well. It tends to be a little more expensive and less-family-oriented than Squirrel Hill, and isn't right next to the parks, but again it has lots of local restaurants/shopping, plus is in a great location for getting around town.

But again, I think for a month visit, Squirrel Hill would be great--these are just some alternatives in case you wanted to expand your options a bit.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:50 PM

9 posts, read 27,184 times
Thanks for all the help

So far Ive inquired about a sublet near Wightman and Forbes. It seems like a nice neighborhood. Still looking though!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh