Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 01:19 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,497,726 times

Advertisements

Forbes compiled another "list" of America's Fastest Dying Cities and Pittsburgh didn't make the list!

Of course, we all know to take these lists with a grain of salt. I kinda disagreed with it anyway as these cities could be "dying" based on their criteria but none of them really feel like they are dying when you're visiting. They took pictures of the most run-down parts of each to make each city look like a decayed ghost-town but that is not the case for the cities on the list that I've been to. Anyway, just happy Pittsburgh didn't make the list, regardless.
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Youngstown, OH
  • Dayton, OH
  • Canton, OH
  • Detroit, MI
  • Flint, MI
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Springfield, MA
  • Scranton, PA
  • Charleston, WV
America's Fastest-Dying Cities - Forbes.com

Last edited by lifepgh2op; 08-05-2008 at 02:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 02:06 PM

2,488 posts, read 2,935,922 times
Forbes list are lame. They come out with a list every 10 days, and they have nothing substantail about them.

Old 08-05-2008, 03:20 PM

12,526 posts, read 17,554,414 times
It's all a direct result of manual labor jobs leaving the USA.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM

20,273 posts, read 33,029,222 times
I agree these lists are generally quite suspect, but I also think it is true Pittsburgh has done a better job transitioning to a post-industrial economy than some other "rust belt" cities.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 PM

3,131 posts, read 9,378,514 times
It's a list of Northeast cities. New Orleans, living under sea level and having the 2nd highest murder rate this year must be doing wonderful. I didn't read about Forbes' criteria for this list as their lists are always far degenerated and untimely. If you believe them, it's a wonder you can drive in downtown Pgh. because of all the blinding soot and smoke.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:48 AM

85 posts, read 286,823 times
It said the only cities with a worse population loss than Cleveland since 2000 have been New Orleans and Pittsburgh.

Oddly enough, the economy around here isn't terrible, compared either to western boomtowns or to the places on this list. The economy has transitioned better around here.

In the past three years I've been to Youngstown, Scranton, Cleveland and Buffalo, and except for Cleveland, they're certainly worthy of deathwatch status.

Last edited by alleghenyman; 08-06-2008 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: actually not bashing Cleveland!

Old 08-06-2008, 10:55 AM

85 posts, read 308,472 times
On the subject of Cleveland, I was talking to this lady, and she didn't understand why I liked Pittsburgh (she literally said "really?" like I was from another planet). Apparently, she was originally from Cleveland and said there was a huge rivalry between the two cities. I'm not originally from Pittsburgh, so I just shrugged it off.

Sounded to me like a battle between the two biggest losers (in terms of people moving out.)

Old 08-06-2008, 12:27 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
I think the Pittsburgh/Cleveland rivalry is silly, when the two cities are so similar - except that one of them is flat. I think Cleveland (and Ohio's) problem is that it had a greater reliance on heavy industry and autos more recently than Pittsburgh did. Our economy is more diversified (I'd guess), so we aren't experiencing the huge slump that the rest of the midwest is having. The two cities are so close in distance that there should be more cooperation between the two. But both are also very territorial and a bit provincial.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:24 PM

2,039 posts, read 6,324,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifepgh2op View Post
Forbes compiled another "list" of America's Fastest Dying Cities and Pittsburgh didn't make the list!

Of course, we all know to take these lists with a grain of salt. I kinda disagreed with it anyway as these cities could be "dying" based on their criteria but none of them really feel like they are dying when you're visiting. They took pictures of the most run-down parts of each to make each city look like a decayed ghost-town but that is not the case for the cities on the list that I've been to. Anyway, just happy Pittsburgh didn't make the list, regardless.
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Youngstown, OH
  • Dayton, OH
  • Canton, OH
  • Detroit, MI
  • Flint, MI
  • Buffalo, NY
  • Springfield, MA
  • Scranton, PA
  • Charleston, WV
America's Fastest-Dying Cities - Forbes.com
I can assure you - Buffalo is already dead. It died many, many years ago. The suburbs are hanging on, but just barely....

Old 08-06-2008, 04:45 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desibhar View Post
On the subject of Cleveland, I was talking to this lady, and she didn't understand why I liked Pittsburgh (she literally said "really?" like I was from another planet). Apparently, she was originally from Cleveland and said there was a huge rivalry between the two cities. I'm not originally from Pittsburgh, so I just shrugged it off.

Sounded to me like a battle between the two biggest losers (in terms of people moving out.)
It's a football issue, mainly (IMO). It wasn't so much that way when I was a kid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh