Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 11:54 AM

23 posts, read 98,309 times

Advertisements

Hey there everyone. I recently graduated from Pitt's business school and I also got my undergrad degree at Pitt (the most underrated university in America). I am originally from New York, and I thought Pittsburgh would be boring. I loved it.

This is what I have learned in my six years here:

Pittsburgh offers everything a large city offers, only on a smaller scale. And most of the city is so clean. Pittsburgh is a city of distinct neighborhoods and areas, each with their own personalities. Up on the North Side, you can catch a Steelers or Pirates game, check out the Carnegie Science Center and SportsWorks, and the National Aviary, or go boating on the river. Downtown, you can go shopping, hang out at beautiful Point State Park, go to a concert or Penguins game at Mellon Arena, visit Duquesne University, check out a show at the Benedum Center or Heinz Hall, go ice skaing outside, use the new Wi-Fi acess and a lot more. Most bands make stops in Pittsburgh. In the Strip District you can find any kind of food you could ever want, eat a famous Primanti Brothers sandwich, buy some Pittsburgh apparel, or go to one of the many clubs. On the South Side- newly rejuvenated and one of the most beautiful parts of Pittsburgh, you can go to one of the many restaurants and bars, see a movie, or do some shopping (you can really shop anywhere in Pittsburgh). The East Side, (Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill neighborhoods) is considered the academic and cultural area. This is where Pitt, Carnegie Mellom, Chatham, and Carlow Colleges are located. There are great restaurants, beautiful cathedrals, and lots of activity. You can stare in awe at the vast mansions in Shadyside while doing some upscale shopping, eat great pizza in Squirrel Hill, and awesome restaurants, parks, museums, and art galleries in Oakland. In nearby Homestead, you can see a movie at the ENORMOUS multiplex or go to many of the most well-known chain restaurants and outlet stores. There is also a Sandcastle waterpark nearby along with Kennywood amusement park, which has one of the largest roller coasters in the world. You can also check out the Pittsburgh zoo. The vast Monroeville mall is not very far, either. There are plenty of other concert venues as well, including the Palumbo Center and Post-Gazette Pavillion. Robert Morris University hosts the annual "Pittsburgh Speakers Series" at Heinz Hall with speakers such as Colin Powell, Ari Fleischer, Rudy Giuliani, Robert Redford, Walter Cronkite, Bill Moyers, Henry Kissinger, and James Carville, just to name a few. There is also plenty for kids to do if you have/plan to have any. Idewild park is a nearby amusement park geared towards young children. There's also Dino Kingdom, the Carnegie Science Center, and plenty of child-care programs, among other things (I don't know a whole lot about things for kids- I don't have any yet). And the cost of doing all this is MUCH cheaper than any other city. This is one city that the average person can actually take advantage of.

Pittsburgh is ranked annually by many publications as a top city for cost of living, quality of life, safety, hospitals, cultural opportunities, business-friendly, family-friendly, tourist-friendly, and all-around friendly. Pittsburgh airport is considered one of the nicest airports in the country. The Carnegie Museum has some of the best dinosaur collections around. Yes, like all cities Pittsburgh has its negatives- Allegheny County has high taxes and an older population, and the air quality of the city is still not up to par with the rest of the country (although it has made a significant comeback in the last 30 years.) But the negatives are few and far between. Pittsburgh is a hub of medical research and cultural diversity, and is a great city for new entrepreneurs.

This is only a short overview of all that there is to do, Pittsburgh is one of the great American cities and I loved every second of being there. There are a ton of other activities that I just did not have the time to list. The only reason I am leaving is because my fiancee lives back in New York and loves her work there. I will be sad to go. I would love to someday return to Pittsburgh and raise my family here.

So would you people who bash Pittsburgh please either shut your mouths or leave. I can assure you, if you cannot find happiness here, you will not find it anywhere else.

Hope this helps some of you who are considering moving here.

P.S. The people in Pittsburgh are the nicest you will ever meet.

Last edited by Tom6623; 01-09-2007 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 12:02 PM

11 posts, read 39,505 times
I agree and wanted to add that there are so many awesome, fun, and educational things you can do with your kids here: the zoo, the science center, the history and art museums, plays, the center for creative play, hiking or biking on the trails, taking a river boat tour, going to Sandcastle waterpark or Kennywood amusement park in the summer.....Pittsburgh is an awesome place for kids!

Last edited by elfgirl; 01-09-2007 at 01:32 PM..

Old 01-09-2007, 12:03 PM

2 posts, read 2,909 times
Great work, Tom!

I haved lived in Pittsburgh for 20 years after having spent the first 30 years of my life bouncing between Chicago, Boston, Austin, Charlotte, and even a few years in Paris. I can tell you without a doubt that Pittsburgh has been my favorite city so far. There are so many opportunities for people of all ages to enjoy themselves, and the locals are so down-to-earth. No, this city is not New York or LA, and that's why I love it. There is a sense of community and small-town feel here that you will not find in any other major city. I truly believe that Pittsburgh combines the best of the East Coast and Midwest lifestyle.

May I add that you forgot one of my favorite attractions- The Gateway Clipper Fleet. Majestic riverboats that will take you around Pittsburgh. They are truly amazing.

Old 01-09-2007, 12:17 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,920,232 times
You all forgot the ONE thing that you can't do anyplace else -- ride the Inclines!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:27 PM

How could I forget the Inclines?! I think that was one of the first things I ever did in Pittsburgh.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:12 PM

45 posts, read 233,854 times
Your Post inspired me. A clean city. I thought that was a fantasy. I have been there and yes it is remarkably clean. Especially compared to D.C. and Baltimore. And the incline, sooo cool. the first time I seen it was at night from a distance and I freeked out some guy said they go about 50 or 60 mph, I was like "really, WoW lets go" then everyone laughed and set me straight. I like how the city is kind of in levels, I am really loving elevation, mountians are so great. The closest mountian here is in frederick md, it is sugsrloaf mountian. My Pitt. bud said "that is just a hill" LOL but anyways thanks for posting such a wonderful post, it sure beats some of the negative attitudes around these forums. Why would anyone stay where they absolutely hated it?

Old 01-09-2007, 01:30 PM

I have no idea why people complain about this city so much. They say they only stay here because they can't find a job anywhere else, and then complain about how Pittsburgh is losing jobs. It just does not make sense. I think most of the people who complain are older folks wishing for the life of sun and leisure in Florida. Some are old steel workers who are still angry about the steel industry's decline. Others who complain are people who do not travel much and don't get to see that it doesn't get much better than Pittsburgh. Also, some people are simply unhappy people and would complain anywhere they went. Don't worry, be happy.

If anyone else wants to add their favorite things to do in Pittsburgh, be my guest. I know I didn't list nearly everything.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:43 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,111,453 times
Thank-you for starting this thread.

I'm in Pittsburgh 2-5X per year (daughter in school there) and always looking for fun stuff to do.

Also, locals, please share your favorite restaurants, cafes and coffee shops.

Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 03:09 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,146,737 times
Cool Favorite Things to Do in Pittsburgh

Afternoon lunch and a pint of beer on the balcony at Roland's as you people-watch on the Strip below (Roland's ain't what it used to be but their balcony is still one of the best people-watching spots in the City)

Lunch in the awesome biergarten at Penn Brewery

Happy Hour with friends at the flagship Mad Mex in Oakland

Admire the breathtaking interior of The Church Brew Works while nibbling on their pierogi creation of the day

Take in the skyline from either Grandview Avenue observation platform or West End Park, especially at night (Yeah I know it's cliché but it's still worth doing )

An unbelievably greasy, unbelievably delicious, unbelievably cheap lunch at The Original Oyster House

Stroll down Carson Street on Saturday Afternoon window-shopping, people-watching and taking in the sights and sounds

Same on Walnut Street in Shadyside

Same in the university area of Oakland

Have a cup of coffee and read a local indie newspaper on a sidewalk table at a café on any of the above-mentioned streets

Share a pizza on the sidewalk table at Pino's on Reynolds Street in Point Breeze

Three Rivers Regatta

Pittsburgh Vintage Grand Prix in Schenley Park

Kennywood. 'Nuff said.

Live Celtic music at Mullaney's Harp & Fiddle in the Strip

Same at Paddy's Pour House in downtown Carnegie

Drive around North-of-Forbes looking at the great big lovely houses, especially the handful on Beechwood Boulevard between 5th and Wilkins Avenues

Go to Frick Park for any combination of the following reasons: walking along the paths through the woods, taking your dog to play with all the other dogs in the dog park, getting some sun, or watching old Italian guys play lawn bowling or bocce ball

Go to see the Cubs at PNC Park and antagonize Pirates fans while tailgating

Visit the many places renowned to beer connaisseurs across the country and the world: Fat Head's, Smokin' Joe's, D's SixPax n' Dogz, The Sharp Edge & Sharp Edge Creekhouse -- the owner of which was knighted by the king of Belgium for his role in familiarizing Americans with Belgian beer

Drive through the Highlands

Visit Ohiopyle Park

Visit the small but high-quality and criminally overlooked art museum/gallery in Mellon Park

Last edited by Drover; 01-09-2007 at 03:22 PM..

Old 01-09-2007, 03:32 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
This may be the only thread I'll print out I'm going back to Pittsburgh for a month for the delivery of my next grand-child at the end of March and I'll be sure to add some of these pleasures to my already big list.

Thanks to all that contributed their "to do" in Pittsburgh ideas!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh