Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2022, 06:35 AM

220 posts, read 147,051 times

Advertisements

West Newton is a 1 sq. mile borough and small town located near the southwestern corner of Westmoreland County along the Youghigeny River about 25 miles southeast of downtown Pittsburgh (via routes 51 and 136). It is located not far across the Allegheny County line from Elizabeth Forward area. It has a population of just under 3,000.

West Newton traces its roots back to 1788, when a group of American pioneers to the Northwest Territory. They stopped at this spot along the Youghigeny River before setting off down the Monongahela to the Ohio and settling the first town in the territory, Marrietta, Ohio. A few years after he Pioneers made their trek, New Jersey native and whiskey rebel Isaac Rob officially laid out the town of West Newton. The town was originally known as "Robbstown," named after the one one who laid it out. It originally served as a trading outpost where the Old Glades Indian Trail met the Youghiogheny River. The name was quickly changed to West Newton, based on a couple different theories. One is that Robb may have been paying homage to his hometown of Newton, New Jersey, or the name may have been given to differentiate it from nearby Greensburg about 16 miles northeast), then known as Newtown. West Newton's economy began to grow in the 19th century with the construction of slack water dams in the 1830s, ntroduction of the Pittsburgh & Connellsville Railroad (which would later merge with the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad), and the Markle Paper Mill. By 1860, the town blossomed with the establishment of numerous churches, a cemetery, and a large school building. By the late 1800s the town’s economy shifted as the U.S. Radiator Corporation of Detroit, Michigan took over the old paper mill site, expanding it to employ over 500 workers. The town served as an important commercial corridor for the surrounding farming communities and coal patches. The addition of the P&LE Railroad on the west side of town and the ever-increasing amount of coal mining activity in the Yough Valley further spurred commerce in West Newton.

The U.S. Radiator Corporation ceased production by the 1950s. West Newton still had several manufacturing enterprises within it and thrived until the 1980's when manufacutring declined across much of Western PA. its population peaked at near 4,000 in 1960. However, it has stabilized much now of days. The town has grown to serve as a bedroom community for residents who work nearby. It still has an active downtown main street business district and the Great Allegheny Passage bike trail, laong with proximity to major roadways such as route 51 and I-70 will allow to continue to thrive as prominent small town in the area close to enough to amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2022, 09:09 AM

1,411 posts, read 567,061 times
I was raised in West Newton, graduated from WNHS & lived there until graduation from college. My family has lived there prior to the Civil War.
It was a great place to grow up in the 50's & early 60's, IMHO, but the town has declined since the 70's, in common with most surrounding communities. West Newton was at it's peak during the working lives of those of my parents' generation, those who served in WWII and retired in the 80's.
There are still some nice residential areas, especially upper Vine St. and some newer homes on the West Side, near the cemetery.
Speaking of the cemetery, it is one of the nicest ones in Western PA.; well maintained and with lovely grounds. Most of my family is buried there and we visit at least 3-4 times a year.
The school district is Yough, combining the old West Newton, South Huntington, and Sewickley school districts. The high school is located outside Herminie; West Newton still has an elementary school in the borough.
The downtown business district has more empty storefronts than those that are actually open & the PNC Bank branch recently closed. There is a smaller Giant Eagle in town and a large Shop n' Save in Rostraver Twp, about 4 miles away on Rt 51.
Home prices are generally low, especially since the vast majority are quite old; real estate taxes are low as well.
Transportation wise, it has a good location. Non rush hour, about 45 min. to downtown PGH & about 30 min. to Greensburg.
Less tha 10 min. to RT 51 & about 10 min. to I-70. Trains are still quite common through town; used to be the main line of the B & O RR, now Norfolk Southern. About 20 min. to the PA Turnpike at New Stanton.
Almost forgot, one has to consider potential flooding in some parts of town. The Youghiogheny River flooded in 1955, I believe & 1976 ( not certain of the dates.)
It's really a pretty sleepy, quiet old town.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:13 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
I love West Newton. The rail trail runs right through town and it has a great brewery as well. Excellent bicycle rental and sales place. Nice old architecture/homes. A lot to like about this little gem of a town. There may be empty storefronts, but there are empty storefronts on the South Side and in downtown Pittsburgh.

Old 02-21-2022, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I love West Newton. The rail trail runs right through town and it has a great brewery as well. Excellent bicycle rental and sales place. Nice old architecture/homes. A lot to like about this little gem of a town. There may be empty storefronts, but there are empty storefronts on the South Side and in downtown Pittsburgh.
Yes, I forgot to mention the bike trail on the old P& LE RR tracks; it's been a real boon to WN's economy.
I'm old enough to remember actual trains on that site!

Old 02-21-2022, 11:48 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,680,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USC1986 View Post
I was raised in West Newton, graduated from WNHS & lived there until graduation from college. My family has lived there prior to the Civil War.
It was a great place to grow up in the 50's & early 60's, IMHO, but the town has declined since the 70's, in common with most surrounding communities. West Newton was at it's peak during the working lives of those of my parents' generation, those who served in WWII and retired in the 80's.
There are still some nice residential areas, especially upper Vine St. and some newer homes on the West Side, near the cemetery.
Speaking of the cemetery, it is one of the nicest ones in Western PA.; well maintained and with lovely grounds. Most of my family is buried there and we visit at least 3-4 times a year.
The school district is Yough, combining the old West Newton, South Huntington, and Sewickley school districts. The high school is located outside Herminie; West Newton still has an elementary school in the borough.
The downtown business district has more empty storefronts than those that are actually open & the PNC Bank branch recently closed. There is a smaller Giant Eagle in town and a large Shop n' Save in Rostraver Twp, about 4 miles away on Rt 51.
Home prices are generally low, especially since the vast majority are quite old; real estate taxes are low as well.
Transportation wise, it has a good location. Non rush hour, about 45 min. to downtown PGH & about 30 min. to Greensburg.
Less tha 10 min. to RT 51 & about 10 min. to I-70. Trains are still quite common through town; used to be the main line of the B & O RR, now Norfolk Southern. About 20 min. to the PA Turnpike at New Stanton.
Almost forgot, one has to consider potential flooding in some parts of town. The Youghiogheny River flooded in 1955, I believe & 1976 ( not certain of the dates.)
It's really a pretty sleepy, quiet old town.
When did West Newton and the other school districts merge to form the Yough school district? I'm guessing around 1960.

Old 02-21-2022, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
When did West Newton and the other school districts merge to form the Yough school district? I'm guessing around 1960.
No, it was 1970 when the merger occurred. I graduated WNHS in the mid-60's & few school district mergers had occurred at that time.
I remember, as a member of the football team, we played Edgewood ( now Woodland Hills) , Trafford, ( now Penn-Trafford), Sharpsburg ,( now Fox Chapel), Peters Twp. ( much smaller then), and schools that have never merged, Ligonier Valley, Perryopolis & Turkeyfoot.
The old WNHS building, which dated from the early 1900's, was torn down, in the 80's, I think, but the old gym, of many fond & some not so fond memories, is still standing & operational.

Last edited by USC1986; 02-21-2022 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-31-2022, 07:11 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,688,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I agree it is beautiful!

Old 05-31-2022, 09:59 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,963,530 times
My family is originally from Scottdale PA but I have family in West Newton. My uncle Leroy settled in West Newton in the 1930s and built his home and church in the borough. Upon his death at the age of 101 I realized that he along with other southern black immigrants really built the homes and churches themselves. My aunt (Elizabeth)and uncle (Leroy)were Tuskegee
graduates. They were known for their gardening skills. He died in the early 2000’s and most of the town attended his viewing. He drove his Cadillac up until the end.

Old 06-01-2022, 06:49 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,688,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
My family is originally from Scottdale PA but I have family in West Newton. My uncle Leroy settled in West Newton in the 1930s and built his home and church in the borough. Upon his death at the age of 101 I realized that he along with other southern black immigrants really built the homes and churches themselves. My aunt (Elizabeth)and uncle (Leroy)were Tuskegee
graduates. They were known for their gardening skills. He died in the early 2000’s and most of the town attended his viewing. He drove his Cadillac up until the end.
That’s a great story thank you for sharing it!

Old 06-01-2022, 08:02 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,705,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
That’s a great story thank you for sharing it!
Sounds like someone I would have loved to have a long conversation with. Thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh