Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2022, 05:47 PM

11 posts, read 7,617 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Pittsburgh, PA and I was hoping to get your advice regarding the best school district? We plan to buy a house in Pittsburgh in safe neighborhood and need excellent schools for 4 kids. Ideally the school that offers Gifted and Talented Program.
Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2022, 09:39 PM

10,838 posts, read 4,521,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybezl View Post
We are relocating to Pittsburgh, PA and I was hoping to get your advice regarding the best school district? We plan to buy a house in Pittsburgh in safe neighborhood and need excellent schools for 4 kids. Ideally the school that offers Gifted and Talented Program.
Thank you

you mention GATE on purpose. from MD by any chance?

go 11 miles east to westmoreland and get in Norwin. they invented it in PA and by far the best. I came here SPECIFICALLY for that for my youngest. you will not be disappointed. plus the neighborhoods are safer and the taxes about half.

Old 02-06-2022, 12:26 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,657,056 times
Quote:
Thank you
I think it is difficult to rank or compare school districts, but you should consider the following districts in no particular order:

Mt Lebanon
Upper Saint Clair
Fox Chapel
Pine-Richland
Quaker Valley
Hampton Township
Peters Township
North Allegheny
Franklin Regional
South Fayette Township
Mars Area
Chartiers Valley

Old 02-06-2022, 01:31 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,391,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I think it is difficult to rank or compare school districts, but you should consider the following districts in no particular order:

Mt Lebanon
Upper Saint Clair
Fox Chapel
Pine-Richland
Quaker Valley
Hampton Township
Peters Township
North Allegheny
Franklin Regional
South Fayette Township
Mars Area
Chartiers Valley

Our schools are very good, i would figure out what type of neighborhood you want to live in and then pick your district. For an example mount Lebanon and upper st clair border each other but the neighborhoods are very different, mt lebo being a walkable town and usc is a driving suburb

Old 02-06-2022, 07:40 AM

op: forgive me but I did some snooping and a couple weeks ago you were dead set on moving to sarasota FL....the distance between the two cities is more than a casual drive. and I saw you asking about entry requirements. IF you are coming to THIS area, cough up the age ranges of the kids in question and PM me and I can put you in touch with the SEAL/SOAR directors for the district who can give you what you need.

Old 02-06-2022, 08:55 AM

1,912 posts, read 737,806 times
Quote:
Thank you
1. Locate an area within reasonable proximity to your work.

2. Find the borough or township with the nicest houses and the highest school taxes within that area.

3. You've found one of the better school districts.

Old 02-07-2022, 06:43 AM

11 posts, read 7,617 times
Thank you so much for getting all of this information to me. We are moving from NJ
As for post above, you are really good observer - we're considering relocating to Sarasota, FL. However, we changed our mind because of the ice hockey . As we found out, FL does not offer elite or AAA ice hockey program for my kids (5,8,10 years old).

Old 02-07-2022, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Thank you so much for getting all of this information to me. We are moving from NJ
As for post above, you are really good observer - we're considering relocating to Sarasota, FL. However, we changed our mind because of the ice hockey . As we found out, FL does not offer elite or AAA ice hockey program for my kids (5,8,10 years old).

well I dont know how much ice hockey in pittsburgh at the school level other than they do play...but your kids ages indicate pre school thru 4th-ish grade...you want to head to the norwin website and find the SEAL program director(s) Laura Swick and Trish Brunazzi - know both ladies thru my own kid being in the program. They can outline the program and requirements etc. My kid came in from a MD magnet school so if your kids are magnet, its basically a formality to get in and dont worry, they will be over-tested thru the course of the year via the keystones etc.

norwin has small class sizes and the gifted program begats like a 99% college graduation rate - which is sorta the point. Like I said I moved here for the school (full disclosure I myself was a student way back when)

Old 02-07-2022, 07:36 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,695,165 times
I used to say Mount Lebanon all day long but lately their school board has acquired anti-religious/anti-Catholic members and the curriculum is heavily pushing racist Critical Race Theory BS and quadruple mask agendas. Hence, I'd probably say one of the high schools north of Pittsburgh. Or better yet Seton Lasalle or a private school.

Old 02-07-2022, 08:15 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by svband76 View Post
I used to say Mount Lebanon all day long but lately their school board has acquired anti-religious/anti-Catholic members and the curriculum is heavily pushing racist Critical Race Theory BS and quadruple mask agendas. Hence, I'd probably say one of the high schools north of Pittsburgh. Or better yet Seton Lasalle or a private school.
Interesting, I didn't realize Mt Lebanon school district was a parochial school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh