Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2021, 12:18 PM

6,363 posts, read 5,107,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I thought the same thing. This will likely be Lawrenceville/Bloomfield soon enough. It sounds like the South Side Flats are going full ghetto, with 12-year-olds roaming the streets late at night. This could be the beginning of the end of the Great Gentrification Period.

well, its America overall, with its declining expectations of behaviour and unwillingness to attack anyone for fear they are called out by the PC Police patrol.

Old 07-24-2021, 12:58 PM

5,107 posts, read 2,348,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
well, its America overall, with its declining expectations of behaviour and unwillingness to attack anyone for fear they are called out by the PC Police patrol.
It wouldn't be anything new for Lawrenceville. Twenty years ago young kids roaming the streets at all hours of the night was a common sight in the summer, as were shootings. Things will just go right back to where they began, full circle.

Old 07-24-2021, 02:50 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,713,272 times
Quote:
It wouldn't be anything new for Lawrenceville. Twenty years ago young kids roaming the streets at all hours of the night was a common sight in the summer, as were shootings. Things will just go right back to where they began, full circle.
I think the south side turned because the bad element that roamed the strip district and warehouse clubs in station square no longer had anywhere to go. You would be crazy to hang out anywhere in the strip at night 7 or more years ago. And station square forced the seedy clubs to close. The great migration made its way to the south side flats. Hence the reason it is now bad and the failure of the southside works. It is an unattractive place for families to frequent from the suburbs or elsewhere in the city. The southside flats are now where the flats in Cleveland were 15-20 years ago. A decent neighborhood that fell apart and the bad element took over and the crime came with it.

I don’t know about Lawrenceville, but if property values decline and lots of homes are up for sale, with vacant storefronts popping up it will go backwards.

Nothing good ever lasts. The only thing that’s constant is change. Hopefully it is good change but that isn’t always the case.

Old 07-25-2021, 12:12 AM

82 posts, read 30,943 times
Another person shot tonight. When will our mayor address the black violence in our city?

Old 07-25-2021, 06:05 AM

611 posts, read 372,223 times
Quote:
Yeah, ok, what? I don't think that this is the first time that you've written something to me, and I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Just move on then.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:27 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,713,272 times
Quote:
I thought the same thing. This will likely be Lawrenceville/Bloomfield soon enough. It sounds like the South Side Flats are going full ghetto, with 12-year-olds roaming the streets late at night. This could be the beginning of the end of the Great Gentrification Period.
The focus has been so narrow by this current administration that the city has gone to hell in a hand basket under his watch. The southside was arguably the best place to gather in the city for food and drink with a little retail mixed in. This neighborhood was the money generator for the city, bar none hands down. It was also a suburbanite magnet to spend money more so than anywhere else. It was so big they created a night time economy manager just for the flats.

My question is what is the status of that position? What are the goals and what is the vision? What happened?

Peduto has been a massive disappointment as mayor. His legacy will be mayor gentrification where the strip district and east liberty have new or renovated storefronts while the other neighborhoods went to hell in a hand basket under his watch.

Protests in front of his house that produced nothing with a more left behind majority population than ever.

Old 07-25-2021, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaljoker View Post
Another person shot tonight. When will our mayor address the black violence in our city?

Please elaborate.

Old 07-25-2021, 09:09 AM
gg

26,134 posts, read 26,194,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Please elaborate.
Historically 80% of shootings are black and blacks make up 20% of the population. There are just statistics and numbers that have held steady for MANY years.

Seems the clientele of the South Side has changed a lot and that is going to increase guns being shot here and there, which will in turn lead people that want to have a good time away from the area.

Do you want me to post statistics from years past to today? They are irrefutable and amazingly consistent over the years.

Here is the last segment from a Black run newspaper.

https://newpittsburghcourier.com/202...rcent-in-2019/

Here is a search on the Pittsburgh Courier, which is one of the oldest run black newspapers in the US. Very impressive if you ask me.

https://newpittsburghcourier.com/?s=black+murders

I wouldn't look at this as a personal thing if you are black, it is just statistics to enable a response to solve the issue. I think we can all agree, fake news and fake worlds people seem to be living in aren't going to go very well. You have to look at real issues and address them. So far this has been the norm for a very long time. I don't think it will change in my lifetime, but it seems the guns are in amazingly young hands. When I was 14 I was having a great time riding my bike. Thank goodness I didn't have a smartphone. Having all that crazy information at those ages would have been very bad. It is what it is I guess.

Last edited by gg; 07-25-2021 at 10:13 AM..

Old 07-25-2021, 10:43 AM

Yes, a good start is looking at the root cause of the socioeconomic conditions

and the cause of those conditions that disproportionately impact minorities.

Old 07-25-2021, 10:57 AM

6,363 posts, read 5,107,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbraybarten65 View Post
Yes, a good start is looking at the root cause of the socioeconomic conditions

and the cause of those conditions that disproportionately impact minorities.

the same conditions/situations have befallen poor non-minority Americans as well as distinct immigrant groups, and each has succeeded to overcome or at least reach sustainable work/life levels. Black Americans of lower income status have ascended to better pay/quality of life from Clinton onward.

what are the root causes of those socio-economic conditions? here is #1 - the people who are most unable to provide a safe, nurturing environment for children in a 2 parent household are....having children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh