Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 06:50 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,804,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Why? It’s a lot better now than 10 or 15 years ago. It’s little Italy and west side market is nothing to sneeze at. I would take the Cleveland or Akron suburbs over what Pittsburgh has. Plus you have the Cuyahoga valley national park. The Cleveland Zoo and museum of art.

I also think The Cleveland area has some of the most attractive women in the rust belt. Lots of polish, Italians and Slovaks up there.

Well I know Pittsburgh has twice as many Italians as Cleveland. I think the polish population is roughly equal? Slovaks and Greeks, not sure but its probably similar. If someone was going by who they see on camera at NFL games, yeah I always did notice they show a lot of 'big' women at Steelers games. I never noticed about Browns games fans either way because I never really watched..

but if you go out for nightlife in Pgh, or even just walk around the city in daytime, there are lots of hot women all over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 06:56 PM

179 posts, read 107,793 times
I like my friends and family in the area, the professional spo... ah, whatever.

Old 09-12-2020, 07:24 PM

1,653 posts, read 1,593,944 times
“Things are becoming more clear.” If he starts having visions and speaking in tongues, the next step is asking for money. I grew up around Pentecostals. Anytime things start becoming more clear, you need to go home and make sure your valuables are locked up.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:09 PM

5,106 posts, read 2,343,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Hamtramck is the best polish neighborhood around and probably the best east of the Mississippi.
There are Polish neighborhoods west of the Mississippi?

Old 09-12-2020, 08:12 PM

5,106 posts, read 2,343,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I personally also seem to think Virginia has become a more "blue" state while PA has become a more "red" state over the past several years. You see more Trump signs than Biden signs in PA by like a 10:1 margin in this state.
Go to Mt. Lebanon some time, you'll see more Biden signs in two blocks than you'll see Trump signs in the entire rest of the state.

Old 09-13-2020, 06:11 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,709,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
Maybe Cleveland, I don't know the suburbs that well but we do enjoy spending the day in Cleveland a couple times a year. Akron? Nope you could not convince me to live there, my daughter went to U of Akron for 2 years and there was nothing I could say positive other than the University was nice.
The West Market street of Akron is a pretty nice area of the city. It is west of downtown. Stan Hywett hall is also nice. That is the mansion where the founder of Goodyear lived. It’s a nice place to tour.

Akron city is on the depressed end of things for sure. But suburbs like Fairlawn, Copley and especially Hudson are very nice. They consider Akron a separate metro area from Cleveland, but it really isn’t. Combined both metros are 2.9 million people. Dwarfing Pittsburgh Metro and much more Densly populated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
interesting....are ANY "Little Italies" anything special anymore, except a density of pizza joints and a made up character? I haven't been impressed with any I've experienced in the United States (not that I'm an expert on Italians).

The "Valley" is great, yes, but our city parks are incredible, and quite sizeable.

I can't speak to the zoos, but our art rivals any except NYC and DC.

Great point about looks. Shouldn't matter, but I really have noticed this, even during Steelers-Browns games! Their people, both the women and men, too, are WAY better looking! I don't know what it is, but I have thought this for years, and mostly from seeing when the NFL camera crew pans the crowd across Cleveland's stadium. Pittsburghers just look....so ragged, depressed, unkempt....It is less so with younger people, but I can't believe people in their 50s around here. They look well into their 60s...from smoking and drinking over years?
Little Italy has shops, groceries and bakeries in addition to the restaurants. The housing and apartments there are pretty nice as well. I just feel Bloomfield is more ramshackle and doesn’t have the nice dining or shop.

Pittsburgh has a good parks system. I am disappointed how they let Riverview park go over the last few decades. Places where you had great views of the river were let to grow in with vegetation. It’s like we have the parks infrastructure but it doesn’t seem as well maintained as it could be. Too much of a focus solely on the East end of the city and that’s the problem.

I don’t know what it is but I have to agree with you regarding looks. The Cleveland/ Akron area has good looking people. And I think it can hold its own with many other cities. I don’t know why, but the women look better kept, nice skin and not sloppy compared to other places. Maybe they look better because they seem happier. I don’t know.

Carnegie museum is great and we do have a good museum system here. But the Cleveland museum of art I think has the edge. It’s spectacular and plus free admission can’t be beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
I've gotta respectfully disagree with you on this. The Carnegie Museum of Art is quite good, but the Cleveland Museum of Art is better. They have a wider variety of exhibitions, and for the most part have better pieces. Their Islamic art gallery is fascinating, and their hall of armor is also great! The Cleveland Museum of Art also has free admission.
Indeed.

Old 09-13-2020, 09:28 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,668,270 times
I moved here almost eight years ago from San Francisco. One of the biggest draws was the low cost of housing paired with a decent local economy. I like the gritty blue collar feel that still remains along with the exciting new vibe brought by the eds, meds, and tech sector. This super liberal progressive Democrat feels at home in what I call the relatively progressive blue island of the Pittsburgh region that's surrounded by a sea of far right red. I like the slower pace, lighter traffic, and lower cost of living than the Bay Area. I like that it's possible for artists, musicians, chefs, and other creatives to build a life here. Creatives are leaving the Bay Area in droves due to the high COL. I like the four seasons, although I wish summer and winter were a lot shorter. I love the hills with spectacular views, the rivers, and the old brick buildings. I love my big old house, one that would have required winning the lottery to buy if it was in San Francisco. People were welcoming to me and I've made wonderful friends here. I've also been able to get involved with things that interest me and haven't been made to feel like an outsider. Yes, there are things that I dislike about Pittsburgh, but the OP asked what I like so I'll leave it at that.

Old 09-13-2020, 10:20 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,649,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
I moved here almost eight years ago from San Francisco. One of the biggest draws was the low cost of housing paired with a decent local economy. I like the gritty blue collar feel that still remains along with the exciting new vibe brought by the eds, meds, and tech sector. This super liberal progressive Democrat feels at home in what I call the relatively progressive blue island of the Pittsburgh region that's surrounded by a sea of far right red. I like the slower pace, lighter traffic, and lower cost of living than the Bay Area. I like that it's possible for artists, musicians, chefs, and other creatives to build a life here. Creatives are leaving the Bay Area in droves due to the high COL. I like the four seasons, although I wish summer and winter were a lot shorter. I love the hills with spectacular views, the rivers, and the old brick buildings. I love my big old house, one that would have required winning the lottery to buy if it was in San Francisco. People were welcoming to me and I've made wonderful friends here. I've also been able to get involved with things that interest me and haven't been made to feel like an outsider. Yes, there are things that I dislike about Pittsburgh, but the OP asked what I like so I'll leave it at that.
You have a lot of nerve staying on topic.

Old 09-13-2020, 11:22 AM

12,529 posts, read 17,649,627 times
For me it's the ease of getting around the area. Always a back way, short cut, or alternate route to take to get around traffic. Love the hills and the crazy 5 way intersections. Who wants to live in a flat area with streets laid out like a grid? Where's the fun in that? Love the locally owned restaurants and dive bars. Haven't been to a chain place in years. Been fortunate to always be gainfully employed, self, that is. While RE prices are climbing, you can still get a good bargain on a house if you look hard enough. I find most people here will treat you the way you treat them. I just wish we had a major league baseball team.

Old 09-14-2020, 11:25 PM

3,462 posts, read 4,668,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
I can't speak to the zoos, but our art rivals any except NYC and DC.
Really? The Chicago Art Institute blows ours away IMHO, LA and SF have some impressive museums too. Pittsburgh's museums are good, but there are many other cities that have museums that rival ours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh